Got me a new ms460!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmc2003

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger and bought it this afternoon. Only got to cut up some rounds with it for a few minutes. I took pictures, but the dang camera usb plug is messed up, so it will have to wait for now. Anyways, i like it. It is smooth, and doesn't feel any heavier than my makita. I got it with a 20" bar. I also added the outside dawg on the clutch cover. It came with a seven pin sprocket, and i got a spare 8 pin to try out. I also got a spare plug too. Im ready to try it out and see what it will do. I think he said it was tacking about 12900 rpms.

I pulled the trigger and bought it this afternoon. Only got to cut up some rounds with it for a few minutes. I took pictures, but the dang camera usb plug is messed up, so it will have to wait for now. Anyways, i like it. It is smooth, and doesn't feel any heavier than my makita. I got it with a 20" bar. I also added the outside dawg on the clutch cover. It came with a seven pin sprocket, and i got a spare 8 pin to try out. I also got a spare plug too. Im ready to try it out and see what it will do. I think he said it was tacking about 12900 rpms.
Congratulations! I like the 20" bar, lotsa power. Now get the factory dual port cover, it will wake up a lot. Remember to richen the H screw a bit.....:clap:

I think Gary or somebody else has the part # in his sig....

Hey Matt, your sig is behind the times!

Tell me about it. The dealer said that the dual port cover wasn't offered around here. He said it was an "out west" thing. I guess i will have to look out west then...... i hope to get some time in on it this weekend. It feels pretty good, but im sure it will open up more as time goes on.

Just give him the part num. for the d.p. and tell him to order it. It's available here.

Great saw, happy cutten,

Now i gotta find a cheapie limb saw. I have spent too much money though. I saw a little salvage store with an old homelite sitting outside on the way to the stihl dealer. I stopped to check it out, and talked myself out of getting out. I figured the wife might not approve of more junk. lol

Thanks. Anybody have a picture of a dual port cover? Im kinda comfused on the muffler stuff. Also, whats it cost? PArt number?

congrats on the purchase of a new saw..

as a bit of advice...if you plan to add the dual spikes, roller chain catcher and dual port muffler (which i strongly recommend) see if the dealer will swap them out for you when you purchase the saw. my dealer will trade me part for part from the stock one and all i have to do is pay the differnce $10 last time. all dealers might not due theis but it is worth a try.

I have dual spikes, but no chain catcher. I doubt they will do that. I couldn't deal with them much. They wouldn't throw in anything.

Congrats!:clap:

DP cover and part # in my sig. The 440 and 460 use the same cover.

attachment.php

Thanks guys. So the dual port cover adds a port.....I was thinking it was a whole setup doing away with the side port, and putting two ports in the cover. It comes right off right? No uncrimping or anything.

Before you buy anything, there was a guy on here with a smashed 460 yesterday. He decided to part it out, and it had the DP cover, and everything else you need. Can't remember his screenname. His email address is coming to you now.

Don't worry about closing the side port, although it is small when you add the DP cover and feel you need more, open up the DP cover's port.

Before you buy anything, there was a guy on here with a smashed 460 yesterday. He decided to part it out, and it had the DP cover, and everything else you need. Can't remember his screenname. His email address is coming to you now.

Thanks man. Email has been sent. Quick question...who makes stihl bars?

Back