Got my first real saw MS 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, MS362 is a dang fine saw.
Once you get use to it, get the yellow box chain for your bars.

Ok. Help me out. Am I wrong or early on, didn't the 362's have some issue that made the 361 a better saw? is the latter iteration of the 362 improved enough to equal/outperform the 361? Just curious.

Congrats, MS362 is a dang fine saw.
Once you get use to it, get the yellow box chain for your bars.
I was thinking of them backwards - I got 2 yellow chains. Will a green chain stay sharp longer? i wanted to sharpen the yellow one pretty quickly. i may have to try some different ones

Ok. Help me out. Am I wrong or early on, didn't the 362's have some issue that made the 361 a better saw? is the latter iteration of the 362 improved enough to equal/outperform the 361? Just curious.
i dont know about a 361. I wanted a new one and if the mtronic works the way it should an easy to maintain saw

I have both the 361 and the 362. My 362 is a standard carb model. It seems to me like the 361 has better low-end pull than the 362, but maybe the m-tronic is better. They are both good saws, though.

Version 2 362 definitely equals/exceeds 361.......just as much top end scream with better low end grunt.

I was thinking of them backwards - I got 2 yellow chains. Will a green chain stay sharp longer? i wanted to sharpen the yellow one pretty quickly. i may have to try some different ones

Green chains have double rakers, to prevent gross misuse of the bars tip causing kickback. Also semi-chisels get green labels too. Forget the color label and get a full chisel chain. That makes the BIG difference. As far as dulling goes, keep it out of the dirt, learn to sharpen your chains, and the question becomes moot.

Yellow chains have double rakers, to prevent gross misuse of the bars tip causing kickback. Also semi-chisels get green labels too. Forget the color label and get a full chisel chain. That makes the BIG difference. As far as dulling goes, keep it out of the dirt, learn to sharpen your chains, and the question becomes moot.
I think the "green" label chains have the double rakers and yellow have the single raker.
Yellow RS full chisel chain is the go to. square tooth, round file.
That's what it looks like you have based on the picture above. I don't see the double rakers.

I think the "green" label chains have the double rakers and yellow have the single raker.
Yellow RS full chisel chain is the go to. square tooth, round file.
That's what it looks like you have based on the picture above. I don't see the double rakers.

Yah, I got it backwards. Fixed it just before you caught it. :)

Congrats! So pretty when they’re shiny and new :)

Kinda wish I had got my MS362 with the M-Tronic. I’m very pleased with the M-Tronic on my MS201TC, MS241C, and MS441C.

A nice 60cc with 20” and 25” bars is a versatile setup. Skip chain on the 25” ?

I tried a 28” full skip on my MS362, just to see if it could do it on some big dead ash, it did ok, seemed to oil well enough. Couldn’t lean on the bumper spikes much without it bogging down. Definitely wasn’t fast, but it wasn’t painfully slow. Absolutely kicks ass with a 20”.

If you want increased time between sharpening, try an RM chain, over RS. RM won't cut quite as fast when new, but will hold that over a longer period of time. I cut quite a bit, and usually use RS, but I sharpen it after a couple tanks of fuel. It doesn't take much to take that point off of an RS cutter. Once that is knocked off, RM will easily out cut it. If I didn't have a grinder, I'd stick with primarily RM.

Congratulations, great saw and sounds like a great blend of capabilities with the different bar & chain combo's What type of work will it be asked to do? Pics?
mostly firewood and clean up on our 6 wooded acres - the tree down below is not unusual
If you want increased time between sharpening, try an RM chain, over RS. RM won't cut quite as fast when new, but will hold that over a longer period of time. I cut quite a bit, and usually use RS, but I sharpen it after a couple tanks of fuel. It doesn't take much to take that point off of an RS cutter. Once that is knocked off, RM will easily out cut it. If I didn't have a grinder, I'd stick with primarily RM.
I have this in both 20 and 25”

Attachments

• F648E5B4-0774-44FE-A72A-6E5D4EF26A85.jpeg
    F648E5B4-0774-44FE-A72A-6E5D4EF26A85.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • 04171CFD-65A2-40B5-B4F1-A5F5803934CF.jpeg
    04171CFD-65A2-40B5-B4F1-A5F5803934CF.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 23
33RMF92 loops are getting harder for me to find. But I definitely prefer RM over RS chain when bucking skidded logs. They are dirty and side by side RM was quicker overall for me.

Latest posts

Back