Got to meet Hedgerow, and some of his Hedge!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
We had a GTG over on the other side of the state last weekend, and Hedgrow, Stumpy, and their 3 boys came up for it. Hedgerow offered to bring a chunk of Hedge up with him, in trade I sent him home with some sugar maple for smoking.

Anyway, I got the hedge worked up this morning, and since it doesn't grow around here, I had to experiment a little. Here's the log he dropped off, 5' of southern goodness. It seems mildly concerned with the Dolmar sitting next to it:

hedge%2520log.JPG

The 5100 made quick work of it, it's hard stuff for sure, I'd say it cuts about like white oak, only with purtier chips.

bucked.JPG

I just HAD to noodle some, just to see the bright yellow noodles:

yeller%2520noodles.JPG

Next up was the Fiskars. It did the job, but a lot of splits took a couple whacks due to stringiness.

hedge%2520vs%2520fiskars.JPG

The other two chunks I sicced Bubba on. He made quick work of em, they mostly needed a full stroke or close to it to slice em, but they weren't really hard to bust. If I had a lot of this stuff, hydraulic (or kinetic, but I don't have one yet) would be the way to go, but for an occasional workout, by hand is doable.

hedge%2520splits.JPG

Riding out to the stack with some of the northlands' best stuff, ironwood, on top for comparison:

hot%2520stuff.JPG

All stacked up with the leftover maple and ironwood Hedge didn't take:

hedge%2520n%2520maple.JPG

This will probably stay on the stack until January of '14 or so, but I might not be able to resist trying a chunk this winter.

Hedgerow, it was great meeting you, Stumpy, and the boys, and rest assured we WILL meet again!

ROFLMAO!!!:clap:

Most folks swap regional recipies, spices, and that sort of thing.
Us woodburning sickos......swap Logs.:dizzy:

Good ta hear you's guys had fun, and swapped out some favorite BTU sources in the name of the wood heat brotherhood and doing up Ribs properly!

Been meaning to send a box of Sassafrass Stove bolts to a member here for a while.
Poor guy has never seen green fire or had the house reeking of Sasparilla.
It's kinda comforting I ain't the only one thinking that way. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Last edited:
We had a GTG over on the other side of the state last weekend, and Hedgrow, Stumpy, and their 3 boys came up for it. Hedgerow offered to bring a chunk of Hedge up with him, in trade I sent him home with some sugar maple for smoking.

Anyway, I got the hedge worked up this morning, and since it doesn't grow around here, I had to experiment a little. Here's the log he dropped off, 5' of southern goodness. It seems mildly concerned with the Dolmar sitting next to it:

hedge%2520log.JPG

Hedge ain't skeert of anything. Throw it on the ground, come back in 10 years. It'll still be there, intact (well, minus the bark maybe).

The other two chunks I sicced Bubba on. He made quick work of em, they mostly needed a full stroke or close to it to slice em, but they weren't really hard to bust.

Yep, pretty much full stroke every time, and usually it doesn't split straight. Hedgerow should have brought you a crotch or two.
Bubba would have had to work a little harder with them.

All stacked up with the leftover maple and ironwood Hedge didn't take:

hedge%2520n%2520maple.JPG

I thought I spotted some yeller wood in a pic you posted earlier.

Hedgerow, it was great meeting you, Stumpy, and the boys, and rest assured we WILL meet again!

Yep, good deal. Always good to put your eyeballs on someone that you chat with but have never met.

I thought I did a pretty good job picking out a straight one for ya Steve... Oh, and wait till you see what color those yellow splits turn to...
Go ahead and burn some this winter... Won't hurt a thing...:rock:

I thought I did a pretty good job picking out a straight one for ya Steve... Oh, and wait till you see what color those yellow splits turn to...
Go ahead and burn some this winter... Won't hurt a thing...:rock:

We got a couple cords in the shed. Nice color, some of it was that stuff that was on the ground for a long time.

ROFLMAO!!!:clap:

Most folks swap regional recipies, spices, and that sort of thing.
Us woodburning sickos......swap Logs.:dizzy:

Good ta hear you's guys had fun, and swapped out some favorite BYU sources in the name of the wood heat brotherhood and doing up Ribs properly!

Been meaning to send a box of Sassafrass Stove bolts to a member here for a while.
Poor guy has never seen green fire or had the house reeking of Sasparilla.
It's kinda comforting I ain't the only one thinking that way. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'd bring some up to a MI GTG if you guys would ever get around to having one...:msp_rolleyes:
Just sayin...

We are a lazy bunch up here. :)

Boy howdy!!! I tried to goad the Bancroft boys into holding one, but to no avail...
If you guys ever want to go to one of the best in the country, you got a standing invite...
You can run every saw under the sun and maybe even make a buck or two in the dollar race if you got a fast one...
Just ask Andy!!!:rock:

I'd bring some up to a MI GTG if you guys would ever get around to having one...:msp_rolleyes:
Just sayin...

I thought we were havin' one somewhere this year.

I reckon not.
Been up to my ears with the stupid Blueberrys, and breaking stuff, and havn't really paid much attention.

Maybe next year?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

A get together would give me an excuse to play with my "new" 2101xp I picked up from a coworker. 100cc powerhouse!! I have a rotton cottonwood that has to come down and it's a big one.

Those saws are hogs... Fine addition to your husky collection...

Just sayin...

The AS GTG's look like a good time! I would love to do something like that. And to think, the wife wants to take the kids to Disney! Just wait until I tell her about a GTG instead, she will be thrilled! :bang:

On a serious note, if anyone in or around Michigan wants to start the wheels in motion or has an interest in getting something like this going I would be interested. Is the firewood section even the right place to start or do we have to venture over to the chainsaw forum?

Trucks, trailers, chainsaws, splitters, wood, food, refreshments, good company/conversation...my goodness...I have goosebumps!

The AS GTG's look like a good time! I would love to do something like that. And to think, the wife wants to take the kids to Disney! Just wait until I tell her about a GTG instead, she will be thrilled! :bang:

On a serious note, if anyone in or around Michigan wants to start the wheels in motion or has an interest in getting something like this going I would be interested. Is the firewood section even the right place to start or do we have to venture over to the chainsaw forum?

Trucks, trailers, chainsaws, splitters, wood, food, refreshments, good company/conversation...my goodness...I have goosebumps!

We even have impromptu GTG's around here... Someone been working on a saw? Hey let's go run it!!
And it's on!!!
:rock:

Speaking of hedge....

I guess I have never seen one. Anyone want to swap something for a box of the mature seed ball things? I was reading up how to start them and so on, would like to plant some here, biodiversity and whatnot. Not that I want a lot of thorns of course, but if the wood is that good, I imagine a ew in the woods would be OK, could stick them down the creek back in the swamp maybe or???.

I guess I have never seen one. Anyone want to swap something for a box of the mature seed ball things? I was reading up how to start them and so on, would like to plant some here, biodiversity and whatnot. Not that I want a lot of thorns of course, but if the wood is that good, I imagine a ew in the woods would be OK, could stick them down the creek back in the swamp maybe or???.

Info about hedge here:

Identify Osage Orange | Manage Osage Orange | Maclura pomifera

It should grow where you are.

You want some monkey brains????

You want some monkey brains????

Host at indiana jones temple of doom feast "Ahhh...chilled monkey brains"!

BWAHAHAHAHHA!

Ya, if that is what you call them. I guess you let them sit or soak them or a week or something and dig the seeds out of the slime. Then start them, then transplant, in the spring.

We have a real small tree here, has orange wood and nasty thorns but I never see it getting any larger than a small shrub. Like one inch diameter, tops, maybe nine feet high. Maybe it's the same thing and they just don't grow tree size here? Don't recall any "moneky brains", but could have missed them, too. there's not very many of them I have seen.

^^ that's not multiflora, I know what that is and it gets big and extensive here. Some of that can get like 3-4 inch diameter "trunks" in the bushes, and I have burned a few of the larger chunks just to try it, but it is a serious PITA to do anything with them other than nuke from orbit.

edit: I looked at closeup pics of the fruit monkey brains and what it looks like cut open. There juust might be one big one here but I never noticed thorns on it. I'll grab one of the brains tomorrow and cut it open to look at it.

Last edited:
Host at indiana jones temple of doom feast "Ahhh...chilled monkey brains"!

BWAHAHAHAHHA!

Ya, if that is what you call them. I guess you let them sit or soak them or a week or something and dig the seeds out of the slime. Then start them, then transplant, in the spring.

We have a real small tree here, has orange wood and nasty thorns but I never see it getting any larger than a small shrub. Like one inch diameter, tops, maybe nine feet high. Maybe it's the same thing and they just don't grow tree size here? Don't recall any "moneky brains", but could have missed them, too. there's not very many of them I have seen.

^^ that's not multiflora, I know what that is and it gets big and extensive here. Some of that can get like 3-4 inch diameter "trunks" in the bushes, and I have burned a few of the larger chunks just to try it, but it is a serious PITA to do anything with them other than nuke from orbit.

PM me your mailing address and I'll UPS ya a box of em when they start falling...

Back