Got wood left?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just wonder who has wood left over from last season?

this was my 2 year buring and after runnign out the 1st year I told myself never again. So last season I had close to 8 cord ready to go with the goal have atlittle extra every year until I got atleast 1 year ahead.
So I did some math last night and I have 1.5 cords left plys maybe another 1 cord of Wood I had set aside to dry.

So if I get another 5 cord this year plus cut 1 of my own I shoudl hopefully be up 3-4 cord next year.

Just wonder what everyone else normally sets aside to get ahead. Most of you are probably 1-3 years ahead anyway but for those of you how aren't

I just cut a whole bunch this year and now have enough to be 3 years ahead on some. A lot is softer maple and elm that needs burning probably next year. Of course, this was more just because of dead stuff that needed to be cut and fencelines that needed work, so I'll end up selling some of it.

I have about 9 cords or so right now, but am looking to get a few more over the summer if I can find any that is summer-accessible.

:cheers:

I just cut a whole bunch this year and now have enough to be 3 years ahead on some. A lot is softer maple and elm that needs burning probably next year. Of course, this was more just because of dead stuff that needed to be cut and fencelines that needed work, so I'll end up selling some of it.

I just saw your thread. Great pics! All of a sudden my wood piles look a lot smaller. :D

:cheers:

My supply is running very low.
On my seasoned wood I am currently working on my emergency reserve. I have plenty of unseasoned wood to get me through this Sprinter season.

If it ever quits snowing and Spring arrives, I will be very busy tiring to build my supply for this winter. Currently in the upper 20's outside, allot of snow needs to melt and the frost needs to come out of the ground before I can get out to the woods and cut.

On a plus side, I was talking to one of my neighbors at church on Sunday about how low my supply of good seasoned wood was. And later on yesterday afternoon he brought around 15 cuft, of 2yr+ seasoned wood over. I never thought I would look at wood as a thing of beauty, but after seeing a pile of that wood it brought a tear to my eye.

I cut a little over 30 cords this year and estimate I burned about 7-8. So I am set for the next 2-3 years. Of course that doesn't mean I will take a year or two off. If I do the same next year I may sell some and use the money to buy a new saw or splitter.

Most Homer Simpsons don't think ahead. I went to my favorite wood lot last week and asked about some oak logs laying about 'in back'.

'What do you want them for? They're green.' was the reply.

I think I have about 1.5 cords left over, it will go to the front of the line for next year. Of course I already have collected 3 or 4 cords since October of 'new' wood. I think I'm behind where I usually am for April though.

In addition to the early stages of CAD, I have been suffering from FAD for quite a few years.

I think I'll have plenty

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Because the Winter was so long and cold this year, I had to go out last week and get a cord of dry dead standing pine just to make sure I have enough to last until May. It is supposed to get to +13C today but I don't see that happening as it is +4 and Cloudy at 11:00am. I do have 4.5 cords of Pine seasoning right now but that's for 2009/10 I will add another two very soon to that stack. Plus this is the first year I will have a tree guy drop some wood off for me once the season get's under way for him I should be set for the next two winters as I think this year was a fluke, being so cold and snowy.
The pine I got last week is super, bone dry Gray with no bark on it and no rot even cutting it off at ground level. I go through about 4.5/5 cords a year with the Fire place and two wood stoves. Except this year I have already burnt just over 5 cords and that with me being away 2 weeks sitting on the beach wile it was -35 / -40 at home!
Edit and side note my Cord of wood might be a bit bigger than most I like to add to the 128 cubic foot mark to make up for air space.

Last edited:
3.5 cords left

I had 3.5 cords of Oak/Hickory left over. Now I'm burning box, pine, icestorm green maple. I put up 1.5 cords of Hickory last week and split a cord or Oak yesterday so I have about 6 total for next winter (about 1/2 what I need). I plan to do about 15 more before mid-June and that will get me almost 2 years worth. I will take July-Mid September off this year and do another 6-8 cords in the Fall.(then I will have almost 3 years worth and get my Oak fully seasoned)

I'm in my third year of burning firewood as my primary heat source. I think I went through about five cord this year and have a small pile (3' x 8') left. For next year I have wood stacked on pallets under this tarp (3' x 6' x 20') plus another pile up by the shop about half the size of this. My goal is to be a full year ahead when I'm finished cutting this year. I'd also like to build another wood shed to store it in rather than the pallet tarp and tree arrangement I'm using now. :dizzy:

attachment.php

There's still +/- 3 cords under the roof of the barn for the remainder of this year and the start of next. It takes me longer this time of year to gather up a toteful because I pick around the select stuff I want to keep for next year. No sense in burning some good solid red oak when a punky piece of maple will do when outside temps are up to 40°.

Here's the remainder of my 2009-10 supply, as well as the start of the 2010-11 season. Lots of fresh split birch, red maple, and red oak (split since Dec). The rounds in the foreground are white oak. There's a separate pile about a 1/2 cord strong of split white oak. That'll get burnt in 2011 - no need to rush the seasoning.

attachment.php

Maul's eye view:
attachment.php

PS, my wife hollered acrosst the yard to me as I was clicking these pics: "Why are you taking pictures of the woodpile? It's for those firewood geeks you hang out with on the Internet, isn't it?" :laugh:

Anyone else's significant other bust his chops for taking pics of woodpiles? LOL

I have 1 cord of soft maple left

I almost have all my wood cut for next year. I figured I went thru 7 cord so far this season and it just seems that it dosn't want to end. Hopefully what I have in the basement will last the rest of the season. I figure If I have 9 cords per season I should have more than enough wood to make it thru. 2 more cords to go for 2009/10 season and then start on 2010/11.:clap:

Beefie

PS, my wife hollered acrosst the yard to me as I was clicking these pics: "Why are you taking pictures of the woodpile? It's for those firewood geeks you hang out with on the Internet, isn't it?" :laugh:

Anyone else's significant other bust his chops for taking pics of woodpiles? LOL

Oh yeah! I've started sneaking around with the camera so she won't make fun of me. Now I get it when she finds them on the computer. :cheers:

Only 25 cords left over all ready for next year

Three major events(tree damage) have left wood everywhere. Everybody and their brother is in the tree service business right now all claiming 15 to 20 yrs. experience???? Since cutting wood is my most enjoyable hobby I can't keep from processing firewood even though I have no need for anymore for several years. Trees are laying in people's yards, the roadsides are full and I still have 4 or 5 trunks standing with the tops split out. To top it off I went with a new epa stove that uses less wood. About 3-4 cords a year. It is so hard at my age to process I couldn't begin to put a price on some to sell it. I will use it all, it will rot and go to waste, or after I die I'll will it to my favorite cousin who is also a wood burner. In the meantime I will keep cutting. Tony

OH YEAH my girlfirend busts my chops for being on here "with a bunch of 12 year old geaks" she always claims.

Tell her she doesn't know what she's talking about. I'm all of 14 and will be shaving before I know it. I'm also allowed to stay up until 10pm on Fridays and have been using deodorant for over two years.

OH YEAH my girlfirend busts my chops for being on here "with a bunch of 12 year old geaks" she always claims.
Take the wood away and heat with gas and see how she likes it if they have to pay the gas bill. Women like the house sitting at 74 degrees in the winter. The wood cut's the gas bill by at least 70% for me. It's funny how things change when you point out the fact's. I am lucky as she knows how much fun I have with the hound cutting and splitting and how much money my hard work saves. Enough to by a new pair of designer jeans twice a month?

Just wonder who has wood left over from last season?

this was my 2 year buring and after runnign out the 1st year I told myself never again. So last season I had close to 8 cord ready to go with the goal have atlittle extra every year until I got atleast 1 year ahead.
So I did some math last night and I have 1.5 cords left plys maybe another 1 cord of Wood I had set aside to dry.

So if I get another 5 cord this year plus cut 1 of my own I shoudl hopefully be up 3-4 cord next year.

Just wonder what everyone else normally sets aside to get ahead. Most of you are probably 1-3 years ahead anyway but for those of you how aren't
No I,m not 1-3 yrs out, thanks for asking.Little over 2 ready to go and just over a cord green. seems anything over a year out here I lose 20-30 percent too bugs. (results may vary)

Latest posts

Back