Grease guns.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought that for bulk greasing of the backhoe, etc., that the way to go would be to buy 5-gal pails of grease and get one of those grease guns that attaches to the top of the 5-gallon bucket, and then get a handheld grease gun that you fill by pumping (or using a pneumatic pump) to transfer grease from the 5-gal pail into the grease gun through a zerk fitting...but a farmer/millwright friend of mine says they don't make those big grease guns that attach to the 5-gallon pails anymore. (I had the impression that the big pail-mounted grease guns didn't get airlocked.) Can anyone shed any light on any of this? All I know is that filling my handheld grease gun by using a big paint scraper to transfer grease from the bucket to the gun is very frustrating and prone to getting air bubbles in it...seems like I am FOREVER clearing airlocks from my grease gun...I also heard of a method of filling the gun by plunging the barrel of the gun down into the bucket of grease, and then sucking grease into it by pulling on the spring-loaded plunger, but I've never been able to get that to work.
We used to have the 5 gallon pails of grease for the dozer. They were a huge pain in the ass but that was 40 plus years ago so I assume they have gotten better

I don’t grease bar tops either. I keep my oilers turned to max on my saws Blown a tip or few but the bar rails were pretty worn by then. Meh

Regular full sized grease guns Lincoln is ok I’d buy another

My favorite is alemite. They make a really nice gun. That John Deere gun posted on the first page looks like an alemite made gun.

Alemite primes easier than Lincoln and has a little two speed action on them that’s nice for frozen fittings (zerk) whatever you call them

The Lincoln seems to wear the locking mechanism out so the lever you pull all the way out and lock so you can stick a new cartridge in will not stay locked. Decent guns just have a few little minor issues

Try an alemite. I have no idea how many cases of grease I use a year but it’s a lot. I’ve got a electric gun but I do believe when it fails I’ll just get an air one.

The bar tip mini grease gun is easy to fill. Just drill and tap for a regular grease fitting in the cap and refill with your full sized grease gun.

Full sized grease gun alemite is about the best I've ever had. With I got the pistol grip version, but I've had This one for about 12 years. Used daily when I worked on heavy equipment. Have a few cheap ones at the house for specific greases but the main use grease gun is my trusty alemite.

I’ve had pretty good luck/results with this style grease gun. Or maybe we should call it a grease pistol.
I carry one of these while sawing. Usually with a rag wrapped around it, in my hip overalls pocket. Fairly cooperative they are.. I sat on it (being stupid), busted it.. Seems they are non existent in stores around me.. Had to order one over the net.. I can't/won't cut till it arrives.. Just my two cents..

Back