Great burning mystery wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihly dan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
View attachment 270935View attachment 270936View attachment 270937View attachment 270938View attachment 270939I have some great burning splits, actually a lot of it, a couple years old. I wish I could find the camera. Any way, I have no idea what it is. Very heavy, a 14 inch long by 4 inch triangle split weighs 5 lbs 4 oz of 2 yr or more dry wood. This is heavier than red or white oak. The wood itself is smooth, slightly stringy. To me a cross between hickory and hard maple. The bark is 1/4 inch thick, deep narrow vertical grooves, the bark itself is very hard, will not flake or rip at all. So I looked up on the chimney sweep btu chart, every tree heavier than oak. from the pics of the bark it isn't any of them.
The fire habit is, tough to get going. Have to have a hot fire first, then it burns long and hot. Not a lot of flames, but holds its shape forever giving off good heat. Could it be a hickory/hard maple cross. Must have been a grove of them, because my neighbor and I have a ton of it in splits. We gather wood together.

Pic to come later tonight. Here they are.

Last edited:
photobucket not working right now but you can look @ the pics I have of some I cut up in the album Aug 4th storm under username hupacl394

Did a little research on it. Very well maybe medium pignut. Shame a cut all those down, seems that they are not real prevalent around here anymore.

Pignut is pretty tough wood when green.

Did a thinning a few years ago. Felling some marked trees and would get into an occassional Pignut. Made me wonder if something was wrong with my chain.

Free heat is 1 thing, Knowing that you have hickory for night time burns is another. Thought it was good but not that good. I have some hickory thats not shag bark, but doesn't look like that. I know cause I saw the leaves. This I did not pay attention, and the leaves had fallen.

It is nice when you can fail on research, or atleast unclear, and have a place to "throw it out there" and be able to get good, accurate info. Thanks all.

Pics of the bark and fruit/nut
101_2328.jpg

grain
101_2338.jpg

Leaves
101_2295.jpg

Endgrain
101_2334.jpg

101_2311.jpg

101_2330.jpg

Back