Greenthorn attempts at hand filing square ground / Critics welcomed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 463575 View attachment 463575

****** pics, I'm using a Samsung galaxy 4, anybody got any hints to get better pics for close ups?

Try this clip macro lens kit for your phone. It's cheap and should give you significantly better close-up pictures with the macro lens.

Besties 3in1 Universal 180° Fisheye Lens + Wide Angle + Macro Lens Clip Camera Photo Kit - Suits all iPhone 4, 5, 6 models, iPad, Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, S5, S6, Note and Other Smart Phones (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S05LOVQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_BjDSwbNARX9H0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyoneever tried the square file on a semi chiz chain. If one of you square file guru's can do 1 cutter just for craps n giggles of if I'd like to se how bad they would look

Square file is 10-15% faster than full chisel, which is 10-15% faster than semi chisel. So square is 20-30% faster than semi chisel, it does make a difference.

The advantage of square file it that it matches the full chisel tooth profile. IMO, there would be no benefit to using a square file in a semi chisel chain.

You can find this info (and lots of other good info) on the Madsen's chainsaw website.

For sqare filing do you just use a small basterd file or is it a special one?

does the chain start or rou or us it a special sqare chain ya use.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I understand stand that I just wanted to se how ugly or crude a semi would look filed as a square file. I have never done square file work it has crossed my mind to try but I'd rather just hit it with the grinder

You have to get a file that is intended for square file, it is really a 6 sided file, the angles follow a full chisel tooth.

You can convert round to square, but they sell square (Stihl is RSL) The L stands for square (yea I know, it is a German thing).

I always start out with square, and try to maintain the factory angles. Works well in Hardwood, they use steeper angles for softwood & racing.

You have to get a file that is intended for square file, it is really a 6 sided file, the angles follow a full chisel tooth.

You can convert round to square, but they sell square (Stihl is RSL) The L stands for square (yea I know, it is a German thing).

I always start out with square, and try to maintain the factory angles. Works well in Hardwood, they use steeper angles for softwood & racing.
Do they have a wheel that can perform a square grind? If so how the they work or is it not worth the money

I understand stand that I just wanted to se how ugly or crude a semi would look filed as a square file. I have never done square file work it has crossed my mind to try but I'd rather just hit it with the grinder

I took these pictures a while back when I was trying to learn if it was possible to sharpen semi-chisel with my square grinder. The picture below is what you would get if you left the square grind profile on the wheel trying to sharpen semi-chisel.

75153a88a474164409d4dfe55904c01c.jpg

If you radius the corner of the wheel you can do a decent job sharpening semi chisel using a square grinder and end up with a profile similar to this.

92403e16365e9277a5558fba3da9b0d6.jpg

I didn't try it on the saw with the first picture so I can't speak to performance as it was in the first picture. I did try it once I radiused the square corner off and can honestly say it was the fastest semi-chisel I had ever run. Probably mostly due to the fact that the chain was near "its end of life", they always cut like crazy when they're at this point.
Please forgive the derail.

I took these pictures a while back when I was trying to learn if it was possible to sharpen semi-chisel with my square grinder. The picture below is what you would get if you left the square grind profile on the wheel trying to sharpen semi-chisel.

75153a88a474164409d4dfe55904c01c.jpg

Thanks that's what I wanted to se.

Latest posts

Back