Greenthorn attempts at hand filing square ground / Critics welcomed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have taken a round grinder when I had one and shortened the teeth for race chain. Now with no grinders I do it all by hand. I've not had any problems with filing ground chains if they're not over heated.
Just yesterday, I modified my 511A to do a square grind. I swung the 3/16" wheel as far to the right as it would go, then I dressed the wheel flat on the bottom and dressed the inside of the wheel for a 3 degree forward slope.
It makes a nice corner, but the under the top plate angle of the cutter is a bit to steep.
The wheel will hit the raker unless the cutter is 25% used up.
The result was that the chain cut slightly slower than my round filing. It may notbe worth the extra effort, but would be good for bringing back a rocked chain prior to hand filing.

The first thing that jumps out at me about using a 511-style grinder is that they sharpen the chain while it rests on a flat plane.

The square grinders sharpen while the chain rests on a curve, like a bar tip. That clears the raker out of the way and eliminates the issue Gypo Logger saw.

I'm waiting for the write up making the 511a into a square ground grinder, I'm sure it could be done. John I'm thinking more about a person modifying the table vice assembly and that would get you there quicker?
That may be a good mod if the vise could be tilted up or down. Maybe that would increase the under the top plate angle.
Sure would be worth a try.

That may be a good mod if the vise could be tilted up or down. Maybe that would increase the under the top plate angle.
Sure would be worth a try.

That's exactly what I was getting at, as Warped said, that "flat plane" surface is the problem. I think if you could make a lopsided washer (or bushing so ta speak), say 1/4 inch on one side and 2" on the other side, it would accommodate the correct angle? Put that bushing under the vise table and you can manipulate the degrees? I am only guessing?

I also can't believe there's nobody to tell me what a shietty job I did on the first chain I attempted, it really went pretty easy, so you'll all know, this was a treeslinger square ground chain, I just dressed my stone to match his angles, I have no idea what they are, so this is basically a resharping grind of his chain. I rather doubt if it will cut werth a sheit, but I am kinda giddy and impressed with my fist attempt, think I'm already in love with the grinder.:heart: The black you see on the cutting edge in the second picture is just greasey grime. I want to get the sharpening down first, then I'll worry about the gullets later.

sqhf1.JPG sqhf2.JPG

That is exactly what I was wondering. If I converted round to square, I would start by taking my 12V grinder and making the side plate angle steeper (about 45 degrees instead of 30). No use removing all that stuff by hand.

When you guys are converting an old round to square.
Do you run it through a round grinder at a different angle, to get all the cutters even?
I start by round grinding at 15°/70°/0° then square them.

I did a similar 511a mod a decade ago and got pounded like a cheap steak here, cause the chain was fast.
Maybe what I did was dress the stone for a 20 degree side plate angle, which wouldbe the same under the top plate angle.
Since a round filing is hollow ground , maybe a 20 degree side plate would be better.
We are just talking about marginal stuff here and I'll never stray away from my 7/32 or 13/64 round file.

No, you are correct Brian. It cut more like a beaver with dull teeth. More work needs to be done on the under the top plate.
I been using these angles lately ,cuts and bores real smooth ,see the side plate up and down ? that makes it a lot less grabby .With the grinder i can change my angles a little easier than with a file ,the files are the shape they are ,so that is what you get ,the wheel you can reshape and get more choices .This is a .404 full skip square .404 12-7-15 018.JPG square .404 12-7-15 019.JPG

Latest posts

Back