Grinding Angle Question for Oregon 72 Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp Friction

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I don't use Oregon chain but I'm sharpening some #72 chain for a friend at work. My 511AX grinder shows a chart with various grinding angles for various Oregon chain and the Oregon 72 chain shows up in 3 or 4 of those chart rows. Does this mean I can choose any of those 4 grinding-angle profiles? What I'm getting at is that I want to grind at a "vise-tilt" angle of 0 degrees (90), perfectly horizontal. The grinder seems to be more accurate for cutter length when grinding the opposite side cutters if not on a 10-degree tilt. My stihl chains all grind at a 0-degree tilt and I would rather grind the Oregon chain the same way if I can get away with it. BTW, there is a 72 on the drive link. What sort of saw performance change will I experience from going from 0-10 degrees (90-80) on the vise tilt?

There are several 72 series chains. Page 74 of the Oregon Maintenance Manual recommends 25/10/55 for most of them.

Personally, I have not noticed a difference in performance between 10 degrees tilt and 0 degrees tilt, but suit yourself.
attachment.php

Oregon Maintenance Manual

Last edited:
What about the Maxx grinder that has the vise sliding forward and back? Does moving the vise forward or back accomplish the same result as tilting the vise? What would be the equivalent?

What about the Maxx grinder that has the vise sliding forward and back? Does moving the vise forward or back accomplish the same result as tilting the vise? What would be the equivalent?
No experience with the Maxx, but the 511ax vise also slides back and forth, supposedly to compensate for wheel wear. No, it is not the same as tilting the vise.

The 72/73 Oregon chains are my favorite for sharpening, they come out awesome everytime on the 511ax. Stick to the 55, 25, 10 angles they tell you about. Guys I sharpen chains for swear by the chains I produce for them. If you want to stick to certain angles then you should stick with certain chains. Not saying it can't be done, but if you want the best results as opposed to just good results then stick to the instructions. Oregon doesn't suggest you use their angles on their grinder so you get marginal results :laugh:

Latest posts

Back