Ground guys,what is the problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get it either......I got clocked royally right in the front of the hard hard with a piece of frozen sugar maple branch that I did not notice when I was pulling hangers out of a tree while the boss was aloft.....about four inches in diameter and fifteen feet long....sent me flying into a snowdrift with not even a headache....I can not imagine what the outcome would have been if that had hit me in the forehead!!!

Have done a lot of volunteer building with Habitat this past year, and hard hat saved me a big hurt a couple of times...someone lost their footing on ice and the load of 2x6s they were toting swing and hit me in the side of the head,and second someone was cutting holes upstairs for HVAC and did not bother to yell look out below and a register sized chunk of engineered floorboard dropped and hit me square on the head.He and I had words!!!

On a related note I am working in a pipeyard and am appalled by so called professional tradesmen that show up for me to load their purchases wearing running shoes, flip flops and crocs etc. They would not get away with that on a job site, and I am required to wear PPE at work including steel toes, so mentioned it to my boss who sort of shrugged and stated "I'm not paying their workman's comp" which pissed me right off.....some of this pipe is 400 lbs a piece. I think I am going to have to exercise my right to refuse unsafe work shortly, don't really care who it might upset as my last day already is planned for 15 Aug.

My hard hats are not the cheap variety either....I get the ones with side impact rating and a decent suspension. Every tree service company I ever worked for we wore saw pants, CSA Safety boots, safety glasses, hard hats and ear muff/visor combo, and gloves.

Last edited:
I agree, helmets are essential.
I bought my groundy's helmets with a chin strap, SIP or Rockman. There is nothing worse than having to look up and have your helmet keep falling off. If the helmet is as comfortable and easy to wear as possible, it will more likely be worn with willingness.
When subcontracting, I am so used to groundies not having a helmet I routinely carry two spares in the truck, one's a horrible one, funny to watch them fight over the good one!

Back