groundmen (drive me nuts, make me laugh,....)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
On my 5th gm since last fall. This one might stick...but I always think that.

He just informed me that his last tree job his boss is about 300 lbs with arms the size of a ham hock but he quit because he is going to change into a woman and he can't take it.

Ground men are the cheapest people on the face of the earth. 10 degrees out and got 2 pairs of brown dollah cotton gloves with holes all over. Borrow your gloves and you never see em again.

If only that were true. Treat em good. Provide them with every piece of equipment and training need imaginable. The more you give them the more they want and worse yet, come to expect and take for granted. Portray the most professional and competent company image as is state of the art. They will often attempt to dash it to bits and will betray you for a pittance. They will steal from you, show up intoxicated, forget important things, carelessly damage or lose equipment, lolly gag when not in view, do a majority of their work with one hand useful and the other on a cigg...sneak cell phone use perpetually...yet still show up for full pay and look you straight in the eye asking for a raise. If they ever build a wraptor robot gm, I will be first in line to buy one.

I'm always early to the job, sober, and with all required gear. As a groundie all I need you to provide is a climber, a 44, a 66, a chipper, and a regular paycheck. I bring and run all my own small saws(including gas and bar oil), and my cell phone stays in my truck. I smoke cigarettes but my boss has no idea. I don't smoke before work and I don't bring cigarettes with me to work. I take a lot of pride in my work ethic and professional appearance. That's why my boss loves me. I keep him happy and he keeps me happy. Mutual respect

If only that were true. Treat em good. Provide them with every piece of equipment and training need imaginable. The more you give them the more they want and worse yet, come to expect and take for granted. Portray the most professional and competent company image as is state of the art. They will often attempt to dash it to bits and will betray you for a pittance. They will steal from you, show up intoxicated, forget important things, carelessly damage or lose equipment, lolly gag when not in view, do a majority of their work with one hand useful and the other on a cigg...sneak cell phone use perpetually...yet still show up for full pay and look you straight in the eye asking for a raise. If they ever build a wraptor robot gm, I will be first in line to buy one.
Word. I think the best groundie is a climber. When I have wild thing out, no matter who is in the tree or on the ground, me or him. Things rock. I love the pile polishers (lolly gaggers) They will rake the same pile, over and over, polishing it to the most perfect, symmetrical little pile ya ever seen............. while the others are humping wood. When the others are done, they will run up on the last log to "jump in" and save the day. They will often make a loud vocal noise to insure you see their contribution.

Seems a bit harsh there vet. But I must admit there is much truth in these words. Part of the problem around where I live is due to the low rates we can charge for tree work these days its not possible to pay groundies over 15 or maybe 16. But after I get rammed in the back side by WC and whatev other tax **** stuff I gotta pay on top of there hourly rate its hard to even pay that. So ya get what u pay for but I am paying like double out of my pocket so that groundie can get 15. But then its hard to have true quality employees for 13.50-16 per hour. Its a jacked up situation really.

And ya, one of my guys asked me today if he could have friday off because he needs to take his mom some commissary money. I said ok, I could careless really, but I just had to kinda LOL at that one.

On my 5th gm since last fall. This one might stick...but I always think that.

He just informed me that his last tree job his boss is about 300 lbs with arms the size of a ham hock but he quit because he is going to change into a woman and he can't take it.

Ground men are the cheapest people on the face of the earth. 10 degrees out and got 2 pairs of brown dollah cotton gloves with holes all over. Borrow your gloves and you never see em again.
That's because all his money goes for Dope, Beer Cigs and Lottery tickets! So they buy the cheapest things that don't get them high and pay whatever to get high! That's some story about the old Boss too I don't know if i would believe that for a second!

hey now not all groundsmen are the same. I don't drink, smoke or do any of that crap I work my ass off when I work for companies. My big issue has been the fact that none of the local companies that I have worked for pay me on time. I have gone a month with out a pay check before. So I went to Davey so I could have some sort of a stable income while I grow my own company.

hey now not all groundsmen are the same. I don't drink, smoke or do any of that crap I work my ass off when I work for companies. My big issue has been the fact that none of the local companies that I have worked for pay me on time. I have gone a month with out a pay check before. So I went to Davey so I could have some sort of a stable income while I grow my own company.
I know that's why I said "his" not their!

I sympathize with groundies, when I was underpaid and treated like a piece of **** I didn't work hard either.

12-14 an hour gets your truck to the job (reeking like ciggs), your rope a tangled mess, your oil overfilled and dripping down your leg, drag marks and butts in the lawn, and searching craigslist for hookers, trucks and a new job all day.

Back