Growing Organic Fruit and Nut Trees from Bareroot Stock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey TM speak for yourself. I got 8 acres; 1.5 is pasture for horses, .5 pond, so 6 acres is developing arboretum. Just yesterday I saw a talk by the arbo at Monticello--very inspiring, to walk in Jefferson's footsteps re layout of groves etc. all kinds of benefits to attending those isa mtgs eh?

I took down a pyracantha espalier for rb_in_va yesterday--it was sick with scale etc due to monstrous girdling roots. I told him that was a perfect wall to train a 2D pear up. He's still wrapping his head around that.

Tom Dunlap jsut finished a 46 foot high tree deck in a big white oak in the back woods. next step is to install a gliding cable down from it. TM, you gotta come by on the way to FL next time; it's not that big a detour.

I'm going to Florida again this coming week, but flying.

I would love to see your evolving arboretum, Treeseer. I've gone on 'zipline tours' through the forest canopy in Costa Rica, pretty interesting rigging. I remember there was like 30 rock climbing climbing harnesses on the floor and one old Buckingham Master saddle. Any guesses on the one I went for?

That could be an option for Run Forrest, but really, I would stay clear of anything that has the faintest scent of liability or safety issues. Picnicking, walking and reading informative plaques about trees is about as low impact as you're gonna get on a visitor attraction, though going in your average cave is pretty harmless, generally speaking.

I like the part of Forrest's Alternative Energy and Recycling Center- did you know they have an operational pilot-scale biofermenter that converts wood and cellulose waste into ethanol? Fascinating.

Hey, I wanted to remark on a comment I made earlier that your arboretum could be the 'missing link'. This is not to say that there are not other arboretums in Arkansas. There is one, in the south of the state, the South Arkansas Arboretum. Go check it out. 13 acres next to a high school, run by a community college. I applaud that it exists, but Forrest, I think, has a different sort of scale and plan. Here's another Arkansas Arboretum, University of Arkansas, Fort Smith and here is the Kerr Arboretum. Then there is the Shaw Arboretum at the Univ. of Arkansas, Bumpers College. Lastly, you can always find trees within botanical gardens. Here are the top 8 botanical gardens in Arkansas. This arboretum search was a quick Google typing in 'arboretum Arkansas'.

Hey Jim thanks for the links. I'm planning to go to little rock next march 24-27 for the isa southern shindig, and I can see spending an extra day looking around.

Latest posts

Back