Growing up with Redwood's. Truely God's country.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got ahold of some old pic's. I talked about this tree earlier in the thread. This was cut by my friend John parmeter's dad Will. If memory serve's me well on the story he used his 056, and 750. Parmeter logging Bohan dillon road, Cazader Ca 1986.

Been in redwood country for a couple days now. Stayed in garberville and eat at the woodrose. Got about half a day left of going through them headeed back south.

Nice man, I like Garberville. P.S can anybody help me to downsize, and get them pic's to show? Bummer they didn't turn out way I wanted. Good pic's and wanted you guy's to see em.

Nice man, I like Garberville. P.S can anybody help me to downsize, and get them pic's to show? Bummer they didn't turn out way I wanted. Good pic's and wanted you guy's to see em.

I can see them fine, thanks for posting them, good sized tree stem. I stayed one night in Garberville , my wife and I ate at the Chinese resturant there, I can`t remember the name right now. The people working there were very friendly and boy was the food good.

I wish I could find the old newspaper article, had the whole write up. I will have to get refreshed on the story from Will. The logs had to be all hauled on low beds. Tokk two 966 loaders to load each log.

I touched it up a bit. Could be a second cut.
100_0780.jpg

I'll bet that was an ugly tree.

Thank's Randy, there was a good right up in the press democrat, but can't find the article. Tried many searches no luck. I know it took some effort for Will to get it down. It was 1986, and little Brian is the boy in the pic his son. He has two John, and Brian. Two of my best buddy's. There dad and I ran around first then the son's, and me. I learned alot from this bunch. The 750 Aaron is working on along with a 056 I believe took that tree down.

The large Redwoods get tedious, lots of sawing, chunking out blocks, sweating with bark dust. Then, you spend nearly forever bucking it, more sweating with more of the asbestos like bark dust. The job is only glorious, in the tavern after work.

Great! Sorry we had such a lousy phone connection last night. Hope you and your family had a good time.

Yes we had a great time. Hiked through the woods at the founders tree. The little one was great yesterday.

Probably never will get the chance. Guess that is not all bad. A tree like that would be a real lifetime experience, but I would almost hate to do it. I have put a few tall Redwoods on the gound for some home milling, but nothing special or old growth.

The large Redwoods get tedious, lots of sawing, chunking out blocks, sweating with bark dust. Then, you spend nearly forever bucking it, more sweating with more of the asbestos like bark dust. The job is only glorious, in the tavern after work.

randymac,,,, are those old redwoods still fallen or locked up like our big wood.

randymac,,,, are those old redwoods still fallen or locked up like our big wood.

Of the 5-6% of the old growth that is left, 90% is locked up tighter than a small town's budget. The private timber lands are subject to so many environmental concerns, that logging is nearly impractical. The other problem with the old growth is that there are very few sawmills left that can handle anything of size. When some is cut, the fact is kept very quiet or you will got mobbed by enviro loonies. There is a fair amount of the second growth being logged, some of it is of good size, but the lumber is crap, only good for fences.

Randy raised a very good point about mills. Not that we have redwoods up north, but I believe at least Weyerhauser has closed or converted all of their big wood mills.

The second growth in my area is mostly 3-5' dia. The trucks are going to the mill with 10-12 logs on a trailer. Kinda like tooth picks compared to what it used to be. The redwood siding mill has been closed for years, meaning that there isn't anymore redwood siding/plywood.

Back