Growing up with Redwood's. Truely God's country.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello gang, drinking black velvetand coke, and things are a little fuzzy LOL! I need to get to the redwoods and put me mind at ease.

040526-016.jpg

245759d1342911802-529501_391924004197791_789374278_n%5B1%5D-jpg
245758d1342911784-483226_391923994197792_2073578692_n%5B1%5D-jpg
245760d1342911848-599416_391924047531120_1505784332_n%5B1%5D-jpg

Had 3 pics sent to me some weeks back, i keep looking at the detail and marvel in the work involved in bringing down one of these giant redwoods. Those men are something else. The tools and boards, chains, snapdowns ect, ect all draged to the top, unbeleivable. I'm sure you men have seen these many times but out here its not and brings a whole new meaning to big wood.

Last edited:
Had 3 pics sent to me some weeks back, i keep looking at the detail and marvel in the work involved in bringing down one of these giant redwoods. Those men are something else. The tools and boards, chains, snapdowns ect, ect all draged to the top, unbeleivable. I'm sure you men have seen these many times but out here its not and brings a whole new meaning to big wood.

View attachment 245758
View attachment 245759
View attachment 245760

They are Jerry Beranek's photo's - Rockport Ca. - Feb 1985.

Great photo's for sure. You will have to travel over to the USA to see the Redwood trees Neil -as the photo's don't do justice to their true size and beauty.

Chris.

Some of them were real work Neil. Above and beyond the technical skills, the amount of sawing involved could be immense. It was not unusual to spend half a day falling and bucking one tree. The level of precision is very high, the weight, height and brittle nature of the wood required control of the trunk, all the way to the ground, you didn't just tip them over. Then there is bucking.

View attachment 245758
View attachment 245759
View attachment 245760
That dude is a legend and hero of mine. Ahh the rockport tree. Would have loved to watch that one. I read that book like the bible. Randy I would have loved a glimpse of some things you have seen in the woods. Imagine before power saws, when some trees like mentioned would take a day, took a week by hand. Man what a tough living. Same went with the mills, immense amount of cutting. I remember switching from Doug fir on the green chain to redwood. Oh baby you get a workout.

the next question is,,, how did they snig them out without cutting them up into shorts and of coarse to the mills.

i thought it was cat 8k but wasn't game to say that in case it was a big TD inter.
The cat 8's were popular out here in old growth, mostly D8H's but i knew 1 D8k working.
D7E's were also widely used then the G's replace them, now days high track cats are widely used and skidders to run them down to the dump. Nearly all of our old growth bush is locked up. (wisdom of our government)

edit,,,,
tried to rep you on the last pic, but you know what was said.

Last edited:
Tried to Rep both your As##s But only got you Neil. Good tree Randy, and N:msp_thumbup:eil I agree on the marvel side, and technique. Amazing.

Here's some big International TD's for you Neil.

i thought it was cat 8k but wasn't game to say that in case it was a big TD inter.
The cat 8's were popular out here in old growth, mostly D8H's but i knew 1 D8k working.
D7E's were also widely used then the G's replace them, now days high track cats are widely used and skidders to run them down to the dump. Nearly all of our old growth bush is locked up. (wisdom of our government)

edit,,,,
tried to rep you on the last pic, but you know what was said.

Picture292.jpg

Picture294.jpg

Picture296.jpg

Not a Redwood, but a big damn tree nonetheless. These pictures pulled from Paccity's Centenial Tree thread in the F&L forum.

http://www.arboristsite.com/forestry-logging-forum/177095.htm

Last edited:
Wow, Aaron and Slow p. Great pics, and hell of a tree. Fir eh? Hope that guy did not have to many hills ahead of him.

Aren't there handicapped accessible trails?

Sort of, but you need to be in good shape to get there in a "sport chair".

Usually no motors allowed including electric wheel chairs. And most commercial electric chairs will pack it in on a dirt trail. I'm all for building a chair with a SBC and balloon tires and challenging that "rule".

Most of these kids don't have the stamina to do a mile on pavement, let alone dirt. But, once you get them interested in something, they often pursue it with real vigor. Since most have never been outdoors much, it'd be an eye opener :)

Can you imagine the smile from a Elk encounter :)

Mario, a good place to see Bulls is the south bound on-ramp for 101. On the right, just down the bank maybe 40 feet, they hang out there in the morning. I'm sure you have been to the Gold Bluffs and Fern Canyon, plenty of Elk there.

Back