Growing up with Redwood's. Truely God's country.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we were in prairie creek and almost all the way back into orick I bet we seen 200 or more elk. Some real big ones and lots of little ones. There was a herd on the left of 101 at a campground and little store that set back off the road a little bit.

Here's a couple of the elk and one twisted bark tree.

204009d1319335255-3852-jpg

204007d1319335208-4372-jpg

204008d1319335234-4032-jpg

204013d1319335654-1852-jpg

The old little red schoolhouse, it used to be in Orick being used as a hay barn. Poor Orick, they need to bulldoze 75% into a pile and haul it away. It is in a very nice spot, it could be more than it is. Rio Dell could stand the same treatment.

Mario, and Mike great pics! I am loving that bar Mike thank you:msp_thumbsup:Broc that would be cool to build a cart for the handicapped like you say. Saw a Ted nugent show for a girl I think with cerebral palsy. They donated a awesome all terrain wheel chair with a gun mount so she could hunt. i shed a tear I will say it was very touching. Randy how far is Orick from fort bragg?

Mario, and Mike great pics! I am loving that bar Mike thank you:msp_thumbsup:Broc that would be cool to build a cart for the handicapped like you say. Saw a Ted nugent show for a girl I think with cerebral palsy. They donated a awesome all terrain wheel chair with a gun mount so she could hunt. i shed a tear I will say it was very touching. Randy how far is Orick from fort bragg?

About a day's drive.

Apparently the Western Elite also consider the Redwoods to be sacred ground. That's where the Bohemian club meets every year under them big redwoods and have a passion play in front of a 40 ft cement owl

I'd love to see what plans they have for this upcoming election :)

Steve Sillett says the biggest redwoods in Bohemian grove are as tall as 300 - 310 feet and 1,500 yrs old. Fine trees. perfect spot for Druidic ceremonies. :hmm3grin2orange:

Apparently the Western Elite also consider the Redwoods to be sacred ground. That's where the Bohemian club meets every year under them big redwoods and have a passion play in front of a 40 ft cement owl

I'd love to see what plans they have for this upcoming election :)

Steve Sillett says the biggest redwoods in Bohemian grove are as tall as 300 - 310 feet and 1,500 yrs old. Fine trees. perfect spot for Druidic ceremonies. :hmm3grin2orange:

The 'elite' that go there come from all over the world. Not just a western thing. Been happening every year for decades. The Bohemian Grove is about 30 minutes from here...

A good elk viewing spot with pavement here is downtown Packwood. The residents who garden have to have seriously high and stout fences. Bow hunting is allowed, if you own the property. A friend got a big bull that way in their front yard.

The old little red schoolhouse, it used to be in Orick being used as a hay barn. Poor Orick, they need to bulldoze 75% into a pile and haul it away. It is in a very nice spot, it could be more than it is. Rio Dell could stand the same treatment.

Randy ... I ate a meal at the Elk Meadow Cabins where Redwood Adventures is based north of Orick. They do a BBQ thing each week.

Anyway, one man there, told me they purchased the property at Bald Hills Rd. x Hy. 101, where the mill was recently disassembled a few years back. He said they are getting prepared for a permit process, and are planning a very nice lodge on that property.

No time-frame provided, but that's the plan.

Last edited:
On the 3rd, or final day last week of my redwoods visit, I spent several hours at just Stout redwood, practicing shots of people, using my flash. I rarely use flash, but wanted to tinker with a different look.

One of a bunch of folks.

245947d1343061592-rdwd_7_600-jpg

You can do in three hours, if all goes well and you ignore the scenery, with our roads, plan on four hours.
Heck it takes me nearly two hours to drive the 85 miles to Eureka.

I have driven every mile of hwy 1 from SF up to Oregon and back down to LA and every mile of the 101 from Oregon down to LA and back to SF. I never tire of that hwy system. A days drive for me is usually somewhere between 15-17 hrs of actual driving, most days are around 20 hrs from start to completion. A short trip from SF on the hwy1 up to Fort Bragg for lunch and then back to SF for an early evening meal is just an outing. I drove back from Fort Bragg by cutting off the #1 on to the 128 out through Navarro River- Navarro-Philo-Boonville-Yorkville-to just above Cloverdale. There was some real nice big Redwood stumps along that road among the young Redwoods growing there now.

Jerry Jeanie and I love that route. We drive out of Cloverdale or Hopland, and hit 128. Take Navaro like you say to mendocino and FT bragg. Never get tired of that drive. Mario that tree with the young man, and women in the pic, is outstanding where was that?

I have driven every mile of hwy 1 from SF up to Oregon and back down to LA and every mile of the 101 from Oregon down to LA and back to SF. I never tire of that hwy system. A days drive for me is usually somewhere between 15-17 hrs of actual driving, most days are around 20 hrs from start to completion. A short trip from SF on the hwy1 up to Fort Bragg for lunch and then back to SF for an early evening meal is just an outing. I drove back from Fort Bragg by cutting off the #1 on to the 128 out through Navarro River- Navarro-Philo-Boonville-Yorkville-to just above Cloverdale. There was some real nice big Redwood stumps along that road among the young Redwoods growing there now.

You also pass by the Anderson Valley Brewing Company when going through Boonville on 128. Gotta stop at the Tap Room. I haven't been there since they built the current brewhouse. Time to go back....

Age Verification Required

Age Verification Required

Love it over there Aaron, some Redwood country love that. Never been to the brewery but always thought it was so cool what they produce there. And they are know world wide.

Had another chance to meet another tree guy, from South Africa, at the wife. Both he and his wife, before they headed up to Portland for the ITCC, etc..

Also did a little hiking, exploring and photography the days before our redwood tour, too. Looks like the Giant Sequoias are coming in about 10 days. Already have a plane ticket.

248662d1345008068-visser_3_600-jpg

248663d1345008069-visser_7_600-jpg

248664d1345008069-jenii_5_600b-w-jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back