Gunners 2083

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romeo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Forget about trying to find a new 54mm Jonsered 2083 piston. This is my usual bad photography BTW but it should get the point across.
This is a modded 066 piston, the crown was around .035" taller from the pin with the overall height being about .015 taller. I chucked it up in the lathe and cut a dome top in it. Now it will clear and push a ton of compression without any milling. As for the cylinder porting, nothing special, I raised the exh. duration about 7 degrees and widened the ports. I will slap it back together this weekend and port the muffler, it should be a real runner.

2083008.jpg

Sounds and looks good. Yeah I told him about that fiasco of finding an OEM piston months ago. A 460 or 064 piston works good in a 2077 as well.

I have heard that 2077 swap works real well. This will also give him an extra ring.

To be fair, I am building this off of his idea, so it was probably your idea in the first place.

You going to leave the sharp edge on the pop up?

Well it looks sharp in the picture anyway. I would think it would be better maybe rounded off some.

I love the whole idea anyway!

I just knock the edge off with a piece of 400 grit while its on the machine (just a few revolutions), just to keep it from scratching the bore or snagging a port. It only takes a few thousandths to be safe. Its already done, but like I said, my photography sux.

I just knock the edge off with a piece of 400 grit while its on the machine (just a few revolutions), just to keep it from scratching the bore or snagging a port. It only takes a few thousandths to be safe. Its already done, but like I said, my photography sux.

I was talking about the pop up in the center of the piston. You might be also I guess.....

I was talking about the pop up in the center of the piston. You might be also I guess.....

Nope, just whatever it takes to get what metal I can into the combustion chamber. If it cant use it, it will burn off soon enough. This is one area ware less is more.

Awesome Romeo:clap:

My brother has the same problem trying to find a piston for a jonsered 535. He found one that looks close. Now he will know what to do if it is too tall.

Did you weigh them and match the weights too? He is worried that it would vibrate or stress the saw if the piston was much heaver.

On car pistons we would end mill some off of the wrist pin bosses to match pistons for balancing.

Way to go:cheers:

Billy

yeah i had first been given the idea for a stihl part (big bore kit) from an AS member but that was out from Bailey's.. then romeo suggested a husky part which i sent out.. that didn't work out so he really gets all the credit for this particular stihl piston. we debated on short run vs full day usability as you know romeo makes a mean racing machine. was a tough call. i basically want him to add further to the fine art of sawdome. all these matchups are really great and should be healthy for the market. no way was i in the mood to cough up for ordering a whole new top end when now i'll have something much cooler... plus parts to work with that are that much more available. it might be obvious too that i'm a big fan of romeo. nice guy.

been up since 3:30 am and am on the train to Fairfax,VA. 5 hours to go.

now look we ended up finding something cool to do with busted children of the partner 7700!!

Gunner or Romeo,

How did the modded 2083 with the 066 piston turn out? I've ran a used PP 505 w/ a 28" bar for the first time this weekend and was not too imprressed with the power. It starts, runs clean and sounds good but I don't think it pulls as hard as a stock 2171. You're mods sounded good....just wondering if it's the way to go. I had been thinking of replacing the ring, increasing compression / less squish by removing the base gasket and then opening up the exhaust a bit. Since you've been through this, I would appreciate your opinion.

reminds me i need to send romeo off a check. might i add he's the best and his work is top notch. i've overextended myself big johnny hunting..west bend too.. so no worries.. its 'in the mail'

anyways.. the saw rips and i haven't fully made use of all the muffler mods and have been running it in "work mode"(the slower mode). i had gone through and upgraded the recoil with all new inner parts including an elastostart knock off by forester. i put on a new clutch cover.. which was missing. upgraded the rim sprocket.. new b+c (windsor w oregon.. 24"). also a new chain brake.. which was broken. basically just dealing with some worn screws on the recoil and am looking at less permanent solutions than loctite.. might go with PES+'s "dirty hole" loctite solution.

deciding what i will ultimately do with the saw. i really get a charge out of running it.. i start it every day.. to cut or not.. yeah sometimes i just stand in the driveway and rev it......

i'm not sure i'm ready to give it up but if someone wanted it bad enough they could let me know

the dual ring setup with the domed piston really makes a difference... granted before the ring was stuck and the piston scored a bit... and yeah thats how i got the saw.. busted up with no power.

romeo swooped in and really saved my butt on that one.

I appreciate the feedback.... thank you. I'll proceed on the course noted above but it's good to know how to come up with a piston if needed. I like the saw because for it's size it's relatively light and handles well. Besides...I like having an ole Poulan that will woop up on a bunch of the Stihl models.

Back