gut that muffler! (w/pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thought some would like to see how to go about removing the baffle of a MS460 muffler. There are easier ways i'm sure, like with a mill, but you can still get by with simple tools.

attachment.php

stock muffler on left.dual port cover on right
attachment.php

first drill out the spot welds that hold the inner baffle to the outer shell...don't go too deep. take your time and work your way up from small to larger bits until you break through the first layer of metal. You should be able to drill out 6 spots total.
attachment.php

next use a grinder at the top where it is hard to get the correct angle with a drill. I used a dremel tool to take the metal down to the next layer. again be careful and take your time so you don't remove too much material.
attachment.php

now that the welds are weak...flip the muffler over and use a punch and a hammer to drive the baffle out...make sure the welds have been drilled out enough so it starts to come out. use some pliers to wiggle the baffle around until it breaks free. CAREFUL don't pry to hard, if the spot welds aren't totally drilled out you can tear a hole through the outer layer when you pry or twist.
attachment.php

now you have the guts removed...next you still need to remove the screens and enlarge the rear hole to you desire. bolt on the dual port cover, adjust your carb settings and enjoy.

Nice job taking out the trash! Bet it'll run alot cooler now.:biggrinbounce2:

Different. Quite different if you have the orginal 034 with the front vent. Drill the end out of the 034 baffle if you like, but you'd do better with an 036 muffler.

Took my 034 muffler apart and surprise...nothing in it?! No baffles no nothing. Saw was produced in '93 or '94, should there be baffles. Was looking to modify??? suggestions....

Drew

Many different mufflers. The USA 034 had a box in the rear section.

If yours vents from the rear section it's an 036 muffler.

Many different mufflers. The USA 034 had a box in the rear section.

If yours vents from the rear section it's an 036 muffler.

All I have is a vent out the bar side with a small slit in the front that. Late for work, but will try to take some pics later tonight as the muffler is still disassembled. would really like to know for sure whether a muffler mod is going to help.

Drew

Thanks alot!!

Finally a very valuble instruction!

very good for beginners like me.

7sleeper

I just ordered the dual port cover for my 460 today. The picture looks like the dual port cover is smaller than stock. Is that true, or is it an optical delusion???:dizzy: I hope I don't hafta buy a hole new muffler.

no in the first pic, the stock muffler is with top and bottom so it looks bigger in the pic 'cause it is closer to the camera

Thanks, this pics really helped. The guts in my 660 were a bit different, but not incredibly. Tore 'em out, put the DP cover back on, and richened it up a bit. She's a screamer!:cheers:

:greenchainsaw:
I put the 460 to a 20'' downed Hickory today...

Thanks to some tuning help from blsnelling, this things screams like a banshee! Just bucked through this tree like lightning! Now I understand what everyone has been talking about...Revs super nasty fast! I mean nasty.
My friend at work has let me use one of his 372xp's and I love that saw...it's a rev monster....but now it just slipped down the list a bit. If you own a MS460....DO THE MUFFLER MOD PERIOD - totally different saw. Thanks siLogger & blsnelling

on another note...

Same friend has four Husky's for sale:
(2) 372xp
371xp
272xp all in great shape!
I hate this site 'cause now I have to buy every saw I come across. I'm a sucker for orange. Now which one do I buy and fix up first?

Anyone ever slip a husky muffler in half like that. IF so how? I have look and not sure how?

depending on the saw, some are welded at the seem and a few like the old 50's, early 51&55's, 268's, some others come apart...but why

Most of the huskys are just an empty can to start with........the newer ones have cats and whatnot in them, but there are better alternatives than the tear one apart to get to the nasty for you cat.

My 385 is in dyer need of some muffler help and I was just wondering if I could open it up some internally as well as externally. I have opened up the muffler on my 192T successfully and was just hoping to do the same with the 385.. I am open to any suggestions.
Jared

I just gutted my MS460 muffler, much better. I also took the time to match muffler to the exhaust port. The heat shield was the perfect template, it matches the exhaust port perfectly.

Back