Guys, don't get complacent out there!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting the whole story and video. I prefer to learn from other people's mistakes, rather than my own. I watched the video several times to see how that branch tore away and came back for you, nobody could have predicted the way it broke - which gives emphasis to how dangerous falling is.

I like the tip about pulling on the starter handle, although tying a rope on the handle for someone to pull on is going to be my preferred option - just get away from the stump.

This Is not accurate because the camera could have been at an angle

Not only is that not accurate but if your only looking at the main trunk to figure out where the trees lean is your gonna wind up in trouble fast. The weight up top matters drastically more than the angle of the trunk. I've felled thousands of trees a few thousand a year. I don't pay to much attention to where you have that line drawn. I pay more attention to which side has the big branches shooting off of it twenty to thirty feet.

Trunk lean is only half the battle. Half the time or more we have to drop trees against the lean.

People make this common mistake a lot. The tree won't go or they keep on cutting until its to late. Next thing you know you took out the hinge. I have no doubt if he had not cut through the hinge he could have put it in its intended path.

Last edited:
Sh_t mate that was a biggy,im glad you came out not to bad it could of been very very bad in a lot of ways,could of slammed ya face into the tear away part of the hinge and lost ya looking with bits.
Thanks for sharing that took some guts well done.
Them stack hats don't look all that flash i have even started using one a few weeks ago had a bit of a wake up call when felling a large dead pine,as i was hitting a wedge in a dead branch fell and hit me in the shoulder,could of bean my head.
:eek2:
They are still making bars and saw parts and always will be but the more we done this stuff we love the more we learn and the more we do it the chances of something going wrong also increases.

Cheers
Andrew

Hey Brad!!!
Notice the "H" is already on the front? :hmm3grin2orange:

images

Gotta bust on ya a little, cuz nobody jokes with the dead.
Laugh a little between counting the blessings for the 4 millionth time.:biggrinbounce2:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I think this is more pretty :hmm3grin2orange:
Das neue STIHL Helmset ADVANCE: Sicherheit mit Köpfchen - YouTube

Well I just skipped around parts of this thread, pretty typical for a large forum, lots experts out there, LOL.

Brad, glad you are alright. You lived through it and the damage looks pretty neat, something to talk about anyways. As long as you know what you did wrong, there are lotsa ways to gain knowledge and experience and well just chalk it up to experienced gained the hard way and move on, LOL.

I think its neat you got it on video and all, it will be great to show the grandkids. Both of my girls were walking by the computer when I looked at your damage shots, and they said, "Cool" and "Nice", they are morbid individuals, LOL.

Use oregano oil to get a faster healing time and arnica gel to get the black and blue bruising to go away faster, years of logging and bullriding will get your self-healthcare program down pat, LOL.

Glad you are alright,

Sam

Brad,,, I know you understand how blessed you were today,,

What Im about to laydown,,,,I havent talked about much,,,,,

After Hurricane (late fall 2008) Ike we had a ton of work,,, 3 stumprinders working and 3 sometime 4 removal crews getting the blowdowns off of houses and out of peoples driveways, yards, etc,,,, 3rd day evening into it We lost one of the best arborist I ever worked with,,,, 20+ years of experience falling/climbing all sorts of Hazard trees,,,, after work one evening he had mentioned to some of us about a large 30"+ red oak tree with some widow makers hanging in it by the back door and driveway of his house and he wouldnt let his wife and kids come home till he had it on the ground,,,, he was by himself except for his youngest 5 year old son.. the wind damage in the canopy had really rearranged the trees natural symmetry and it must have been pretty lopsided ,,, he got it on the ground ok but looking at his notch and where it ended up he must have misjudged the trees balance as evidenced by the location of his face cut and the direction it layed,,, consequently it rolled on the stump guess how much,,,, 90°,,,, Well.... while he was pushing the now cut top/limbs with his tractor/front end loader to clear the driveway a 3" sprung forked limb unloaded and sprung back and hit him square in the throat/temple breaking his neck and crushed his skull,,, he died 30 minutes later with paramedics trying to resuscitate him,,, The five year old was riding in has lap and narrowly escaped injury,,,, Never tackle any problem tree with a lean or deformity that has unsymmetrical structure by yourself,,, another set of experienced eyes during size up are invaluble,,, thats what they make good bull ropes and arborist equipment for,,, Johnny made a good living doing professional arborist work as long as I knew him,,,We had ground a many a stump behind his work,,, I cant tell you how all of this has affected his family,,, complacency and getting in a hurry got him....

Life is very fragile,,, If you remember I cut through one side of the hinge of a 30+" butress flared yellow pine with my ported 390XP, about october of 2011 only difference it rolled 90° on the stump but still fell pretty much where we wanted it,,,, but as soon as I went through the hinge the butt set down on the bar and snatched the saw right out of my hand, all I could do was scat and squint back over my shoulder,,, the saw was dogged in the butt of the spar and all I could do was watch it sling/twist off of the stump riding the butt,,, I was blessed that I had the presence of mind to let go and run the other way,,, and luckily we had just raked all the saw briars away fron the stump with the track hoe so the sandy soil was soft and the saw made it ok with just a smushed muffler and twisted dogs,,, rule of thumb,,, dont go on any falling jobs without an extra set of experienced eyes,,, We can always replace a saw,,,,,,
Oh,,, and cutting through your holding/hinge wood is not good bussiness no matter what the trees disposition is,,, ever,,,, as it is what controls the tree as it slides off the stump and your stumpshot is what launches the spar away from ya

Glad you are some what OK and hopefully as you stated,,, the positve here we all learned a valuble lesson,,, Dont go cut any more trees for us when you are alone,,, we all know you can build a really good runner,,,

Thanks for sharing RR. I'm sure that wasn't easy!

I'm actually quite honored this thread has gone like it has. I appreciate all the kind words, and the tips here and there. There have been some good ones. I'm glad I posted it now. I'm taking one more day off today to rest up. I'll get back in the saddle tomorrow. I still felt a little woozy yesterday, but nothing bad. I haven't lost anything in the frig yet, lol. That was a good one:)

WOW!! Good thing your injuries werent worse. This is a reminder how fast a situation can turn. There were two local loggers that were hit similar to you. Both lived, but were lifeflighted for head trauma. Both of them had wear halos for a year because of severe neck injuries. You are one lucky man Brad.

Holy smokes Brad, you almost let that tree punch your timecard. On a lighter note it did improve your looks significantly..;).

I never fall without my hardhat, boots, gloves, etc. A while back we talked about you getting some formal training. If you are going to continue to cut then it would help you a great deal.

Get well soon..;)

Geeez! The things ya miss from being away from AS for a couple days. Better seeing this on here, than hearing about a much worse outcome on the TV news. Glad your still with us Brad. !!!
I had a dead branch break out of a hickory tree I was felling about 4 years ago, caught me in the head. Had a chain cath my left thigh, just above the knee, many years ago. Just cut my insulated Carhartt bibs, and nothing underneath. (Whew!)I now wear a helmet when dropping trees, and wear chaps when working also. I never used to wear any of that stuff, (old stubborn farmer thing) LOL.

The cartoon pic in my avitar is kind of a reminder to me..Now can be for you also..LOL

Thanks for posting that video! That took some guts.:rock: Knowing some of the reaction ya might get on here. But, I'm glad ya did. Hope the healing goes quickly, with no lingering side affects. :msp_smile:

:cheers:
Gregg,

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for posting that!

This could have happened to most of us. Sometimes the little things add up to conspire against us.

I always wear my PPE, but have been known to leave the wedges and seldom have a backup saw at the tree (except for the one's I think will be the problem.) Usually don't have too much trouble forgetting about the saw, but it's those widowmakers I worry about.

I even make sure I have a clear path from the tree, but usually don't move a whole lot further back than you did. So, after watching your vid (that 20-second interlude was pretty eerie), I'll have to make sure to keep the wedgs & backup-saw handy. And to get *far* from that tree when it starts coming down.

Brad, What I have to say has already been covered.After getting thrown buy the horse what is supposed to happen?Yes get right back into the saddle.After you are mended just use some good common sense.Do not let your fears stop you.Did you have a cell phone in your pocket?Your wife should give you a royal chewing out.Next time you get the urge to make a video"for you guys" have an assistant and forget the camera. Concentrate on the task at hand.
Want to get really shook up? Wait until you get the hospital bill!I am glad that you are in one piece.Be safe,Ken

Complacency? Yes and we are all guilty. That is the leading cause of accidents. About 30 years ago I was a little too comfortable with my saw and now have a faded scar about 3" above my left knee. I am a coal miner and we are required to have an 8 hour safety refresher class each year, mostly reminding us of our daily hazards. By sharing your accident with us you have given us a safety class. Thank you and I hope you know how many people you have helped here. Now heal up and go back at it. You know this doesn't happen to people who stay home in their plastic bubble.

Brad,glad to see you made it out of that with minor damage.It could have been a lot worse.We all have at times had accidents,thank you for sharing this.

We all know you like to port things................................................................................................................................but please stick to saws ????:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Brad,glad to see you made it out of that with minor damage.It could have been a lot worse.We all have at times had accidents,thank you for sharing this.

We all know you like to port things................................................................................................................................but please stick to saws ????:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's all about 'air flow'!

Back