GYPO LOGGER: Will the Real Chain Builder Please Grind Up!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I think it's become very evident to me from talking to various people, that GYPO LOGGER could easily keep his own website going if he were to choose to do so. I thought it would be very informative for GYPO to have his own thread where he could talk some more about the way things are going with his new race chain grinding, and development. He has many pictures and will have a ton more, so he can probably keep this thread going by himself. His ego is so big right now that it will barely fit in a 747, but I still think we’ll get some very good information out of him. Some say that there are many things about this process that only GYPO knows. Well I guess we’ll find out.

Show us your $hit, GYPO LOGGER!

Yes indeed, Bernard is right. Now that I have brushed shoulders with the best, ie, Martin, Cahoon, Heard and Fales, I have gleaned alot of valuable information, so I will compile some of my findings here, beginning with honing.

The Four Reasons for Honing

Fresh from the Grinder

1: Re-texturing the ground edge. The coarse abrasives used in a grinding wheel are necessary for the fast and cool removal of metal. Fine abrasives would be (a) unproductively slow cutting and (b) would rub more than they removed, causing heat build-up that ruins the tempered hardness of the cutter. But efficient, coarse cutting wheel does exact a price. The large particles serrate the cutters working edge into a weak (microscopic) saw-tooth texture: the strongest possible sharp edge would be unified (i.e., linear and continuous), not chopped into separate "teeth," unsupported by adjacent substance. We strengthen the sharp edge by honing the bevel/edge entity on a series of ultra fine-abrasive stones. Good honing reduces the peaks and valleys to a virtual straight line, even viewed under very high magnification.
2: Removal of burr. As metal is ground to thin cross-section (i.e., sharpness) it does not form a neat triangular profile: the tissue-thin edge and attached debris curl over into what is called the "burr" or "wire." We must abrade or fatigue this microscopic "steel wool," to expose the underlying solid edge, via the honing process. This also straightens, burnishes and polishes the edge's component front and back faces, hence the edge itself.
3: Second bevel. Honing at a raised angle (5 degrees or so) consolidates, and strengthens the edge by forming a second (more obtuse) bevel. This is an option. Old "loggers" style allowed a considerable 2nd bevel to accumulate before grinding anew - this is for rugged work. An effective alternative is the now common micro bevel style.

4: The final, probably commonest reason for honing is simply to restore an edge moderately dulled by normal use. Grinding is for major alteration of edge and bevel. Honing is for everyday finessing.
Gypo

If you want the whole story here it is. In a bookstore near you.
12915.jpg

OK Bernie , I just went down to the outdoor store and bought me a pair of the tallest chest wadres I could get just incase it started to get deep in here, I think you should do the same , it will be safer that way and you may not drowned

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by rupedoggy
I would like to know how many times your chains have won anything, anywhere? Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote: Silverblue

NOW NOW you guys shouldn’t be so hard on old zippo, it took years of scheming to fabricate this faux celebrity scam. It took years to find those who’s coattails he could ride on to build up to this point in his life. Is it his fault that he is getting on in age and this is the last chance to make up for all the years lost to the bottle? It’s his last kick at the can fellas so I say go ahead and let him act out his sitcom of the Ballinfad Hillbillies.

Perhaps it was a good thing for him to wake up and realize that he does not own this web site, it was funny how he mouthed off saying that members don’t belong here, lucky he sobered up in time though. So I say have a heart and help the old fart back on the soap box for a last kick at the can. After all he is the self proclaimed chainsaw Flatulator.

Hachet Jack , Gypo the great was screaming on the way back home before I kick his ass out the door, that he had just won the world hotsaw champ. with his chain, and he said something else but because he had not woke up yet i could not understand him but i think it was towards me saying my chains were junk , he could build a better chain in 5 minutes, and when he woke up he asked if he had said anything that he may regret, i just said no i didnot have the heart to tell him

Quote: Walt Galer

Howdy John,

John, I have to warn you this thing can get addictive. You are getting into the heavy stuff, that might consume the likes of you!

Remember, there is no such thing as a chain that can not be beat!

ehp he's still dreaming. Fred

YA but just for my own peace of mind ,Gypo did you do what i think you did with those 2 shemales, my god man were you dreaming again because they were 2 ugly suckers

Gyppo

When are you going to throw down the glove and issue a challenge to all commers? North American continent only or is it already bigger than that?

Frank

the great royal chain builder GYPO has not been around yet , i guess he is making more of that top grade razor sharp chain of his and now i am done with his ass to i here he has gone to Cahoon"s to get all his saw stuff done, Dennis be warned he will just use you for all he can learn from you and then dump you and go on to the next one, so be ready

"...be warned he will just use you... and then dump you and go on to the next one."

In at least one respect you're much smarter than I am, Ed. It took you less than 6 months to figure that out. It took me a over a year and a half.

Hi Nerds, John here. Who are the best chain builders? You got it, the independent loggers who eke out a meager existence in the forest, not the part timers who are the scourge of any profession.
Who are the real woodsworkers? Cahoon, Fales, Martin and Heard and many other unsung heroes, to numerous to mention.
All others are quacks, living vicariously through the accomplishments of others.
Yes we are old farts, however there are always people coming up thru the ranks. These people we must help, the others, they can die like a dog in a ditch. We suffer no one with an identity crisis.
Remember the lil' yellow bird?
John

Hey Marky, thank you for posting my latest publication, and I hope you do well on your hunt for Water Buffalo in S. America with your clubs. Just remember, tracks make thin soup.
John

John I am almost ready, 98% I will need 2 more times at the range to get that other 2%. I know there are filers that will also file away to get that other 2%. Of course the Beretta 391 worked over by Briley will get the task done. Here's a little tip on bird shooting "lead em a school bus length"

When I spoke with Fales today he wants a few links to see how your coming along. Make it 404

So you did make it home for real, NB called tonight to tell me the race is on my friend , he is ready and is not taking any prisoners so the great gypo be warned, your days at the top are numbered, NBLOGGER is after you, and why wouldn't he

Hi Barky, that's good news and I'm glad to hear it. I asked Ed why my 385 kicks butt and he says, " Ken put the right figures in and it's loosining up after 3 years use". I have to agree, I love my 385. I now stone my work chain, but it cuts so fast I must hold it back, it's got an 8 pin and the trees piss their roots, cause I found the "sweet spot". This square filing brings a whole new dimension to chowing down on some wood fibre.
Fur fer sure.
John

Yep your 385 is working good , now donot let the secret out on that oil you are using now , we both know your saws are running alot better now and faster by about .4 per cut, it is over secret so keep it that way cause that is BS cause it never happened right

Doug as much as i would like to think i am smart , i know better, i am about as smart as that dog chasing the car and forgot about the one behind it, I am not that smart, just ask me a question i can prove it

Latest posts

Back