Hack Job Top Handle Repair (good for a laugh)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Anderson

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here is my hack job repair of my buddy's Husqvarna 50 top handle. He didn't want to spend any money and I volunteered to try and fix it using any means I could scrounge up. I warned him it would be ugly but he figured what the heck, it was already broken clean off so nothing to loose. It seems to work and be surprisingly sturdy but I haven't had a chance to cut with it yet.

The tricky part was putting the rivets where they wouldn't interfere with the inner workings of the chain brake mechanism. I'll cut with it tomorrow and report back if it fell apart or not and if it works as it should.

attachment.php

View attachment 179227

attachment.php

View attachment 179228

attachment.php

View attachment 179229

The edges are not as sharp as they look but if it works then I'll spend some time making it look/feel a little better. My buddy wants me to Mad-Max it and paint the whole thing flat black and put a set of too-big felling spikes on it. Don't think I'll do that but maybe I'll paint the repaired hand guard Husky orange or gray for him. The saw is actually in good shape otherwise.

Oh yeah, I realize it's a hand guard not a top handle, just a slip of the tongue, er fingers.

what did you do get in your kids erector set to make that:msp_rolleyes::msp_rolleyes: well as long as it works

Actually those are old computer case parts. I got mad at my old pc when it broke a few years ago so I decided to build my own. I got good at it and built a few computers for other people and accumulated quite a few spare parts that come in handy for all kinds of stuff. I've given that hobby up, laptops take up a lot less space.

A repair like that is not complete without duct tape. :jester:

Add some fiberglass cloth and JB weld and it'll really give it some strength.

hollywood?

you have a future building props for chainsaw horror movies...or sci fi b-flicks

Cheers!

I'm a big Red Green fan, I will have to get some duct tape on there.

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy. Keep yer stick on the ice"

I'm a big Red Green fan, I will have to get some duct tape on there.

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy. Keep yer stick on the ice"

ha ha ha. Love that saying! One of my fav's was how to replace a headlight on a car, he used a skillsaw!!! and duct tape!! LOL

I did some cutting with this saw this weekend when I could bring myself to put down my new 346xp. :msp_biggrin:

The chain brake worked fine and the hand guard seems to be just as sturdy as when I first made it that ugly. My buddy is in no rush to get it back, he said it will be the "community back-up saw" for us both. He's a good guy but once I get my J-red running again I'll give it back, if I have to, I guess.

I like any repair that works and doesn't cost anything. I'm not sure if OSHA would approve, but it looks alright in my book.

Back