Had a saw taken from my hands today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew W.

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Okay I started at a tree service last week, and today they allowed me to notch and drop a small Tree, 16ft evergreen, maybe a spruce, it even has a rope in it and was being pulled on, anyway I started the notch and the fun began.

I didn't even get 2 inches into the top cut for the notch and they said, no!! What the hell are you doing, I replied it's just an open face notch let me Finish and I will show ya, takes the saw from me goes just below my cut and does a common or closed face notch, okay no biggie.

But then after he dropped the tree, they just kept telling me again and again, if I use the open face method, as the tree comes down the first limb that hit the ground will make the tree jump the stump, and that the open face method is almost as dangerous as a barber chair!

Now I have little experience in comparison to somebody who's been doing it longer than I have been alive but does that make me wrong to know a different technique that would have worked the same :(

I have no problem making a common notch, or humboldt, but at least let me finish the cut.

I practiced in the woods behind where I live this method seems safe, I do a 60 or 70 ish degree top cut, and a 30 to 20 ish degree undercut, and I stay with is 1/3 of the trees thickness, and my back cut is even with the center of the notch, worked great.

Okay I am done ranting, feel free to chime in, and I am in no way a professional, nor a tree God, I am learning, and I felt annoyed, thanks have a good night.

I drop small trees like aspens all the time with an open face. The tree is usually still attached to the stump when it reaches the ground. Sounds like your coworkers are inexperienced with this relatively modern technique.

I didn't even get 2 inches into the top cut for the notch and they said, no!! What the hell are you doing, I replied it's just an open face notch let me Finnish and I will show ya, takes the saw from me goes just below my cut and does a common or closed face notch, okay no biggie..

Andrew, what you wrote made me laugh!!! (the "let me Finnish" is awesome, too)
Anyway, I want to commend you. If not for your felling skill, then for your writing style.

Cheers,
Dave

"Jump the stump"
Jump the step (anti kickback step)
Well according to you, and what you told us is you don't leave a step.
So you should have just retorted"NO! I don't leave a step!

I drop small trees like aspens all the time with an open face. The tree is usually still attached to the stump when it reaches the ground. Sounds like your coworkers are inexperienced with this relatively modern technique.
My co workers are very knowledgeable, they know all kinds of things I probabably never will, just about everyone has been Climbing for 10-15+ years, there is not a d@mn thing that I could tell them that they do not know already.

It's great working where I am at, I Am getting more experienced every day I work, I love it, I just thought it was funny because, evidently everybody on arboristsite is wrong, to fell a tree is wrong, and any other tree service that uses that style is wrong, apparently ;p.

with only 6months work of experience maybe a little less, I don't know enough, and only working here for a week I don't have the ability to discuss a different technique for notching.

and at the very and he goes, "how old are you" I replied I'm 18 but.. And right after that he told me exactly, I've been doing this longer than you have been alive, I am trying to save your life, it's okay not to know, you are young.

And as I said b4 I'm no expert I'm just a guy who likes to cut and care for trees.

You're at the stage in your career where it is better to listen than to challenge your coworkers. I'm not saying what you were trying to do was wrong but you got to chose your battles and this isn't one you will win. If you have a proper open face notch, it can stay attached until its on the ground. Thats the whole point of it. It gives you more control.

You're at the stage in your career where it is better to listen than to challenge your coworkers. I'm not saying what you were trying to do was wrong but you got to chose your battles and this isn't one you will win. If you have a proper open face notch, it can stay attached until its on the ground. Thats the whole point of it. It gives you more control.
Ya, I agree with you, that's why once he had the saw I just want okay, we talked back and forth for about 5 minutes afterwards, I just shut up and listened, thanks for the reply.

You would think if they were going to get that fired up at you, enough to take the saw from you, that they would have given you some parameters to go by to start....
They weren't like "yelling" per say, just talking at me. There is no way to convince somebody that's been doing it over 20 years, with only 6 months backing you up.

"Jump the stump"
Jump the step (anti kickback step)
Well according to you, and what you told us is you don't leave a step.
So you should have just retorted"NO! I don't leave a step!
I don't have the experience, to back me up, so I replied with, "let me finnish" I will show ya.

Andrew, what you wrote made me laugh!!! (the "let me Finnish" is awesome, too)
Anyway, I want to commend you. If not for your felling skill, then for your writing style.

Cheers,
Dave
I am not all that skilled I have a little less than 6months experience and only a week at this tree service.

Thank you :)

Ain't that just like a tree guy? I get it.

ANSI STANDARD 6001dash14 subsection b states:
The tree guy in his natural habit will seek to act like a ******** whenever possible. He will try to do it under the guise of trying to be a teacher but in reality he does it only to amuse his dementia.

Andrew, I would now like to take this time to welcome you to your future.

Ain't that just like a tree guy? I get it.

ANSI STANDARD 6001dash14 subsection b states:
The tree guy in his natural habit will seek to act like a ******** whenever possible. He will try to do it under the guise of trying to be a teacher but in reality he does it only to amuse his dementia.

Andrew, I would now like to take this time to welcome you to your future.
Lol, thanks I feel the love.

I get the hell away from a tree as it starts to go over, faller shouldn't be near stump as it goes over and then can't be hit if they come back.
Well today they let me notch again, and it went as they wanted it to, common notch on a small maple, it went just a little bit left of where I wanted it to go, however it was a low risk fell, so the 2ft it was odd is no biggie, and as soon as that tree was moving I got strait the he11 outta there

My co workers are very knowledgeable, they know all kinds of things I probabably never will, just about everyone has been Climbing for 10-15+ years, there is not a d@mn thing that I could tell them that they do not know already.

It's great working where I am at, I Am getting more experienced every day I work, I love it, I just thought it was funny because, evidently everybody on arboristsite is wrong, to fell a tree is wrong, and any other tree service that uses that style is wrong, apparently ;p.

with only 6months work of experience maybe a little less, I don't know enough, and only working here for a week I don't have the ability to discuss a different technique for notching.

and at the very and he goes, "how old are you" I replied I'm 18 but.. And right after that he told me exactly, I've been doing this longer than you have been alive, I am trying to save your life, it's okay not to know, you are young.

And as I said b4 I'm no expert I'm just a guy who likes to cut and care for trees.

Sounds more like an ******* boss than anything else.

Sounds more like an ******* boss than anything else.
He's just the foreman who's not experienced with that style of notch, so they bolth automatically assume it's a wrong technique

However it was a **** move so stop me from finnishing my cut, if I had cut it wrong and *ucked it up, then they could have told me all day long and I would have been okay.

Now as I have stated previously I am not a professional, not a tree God, I'm just a newbie with 6 months under my belt I know just about any knot, bend, friction hitch you can ask for, I can buck logs, and run a porta wrap quite well

You don't think their just having fun with you?

Back