Had a saw taken from my hands today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're at the stage in your career where it is better to listen than to challenge your coworkers. I'm not saying what you were trying to do was wrong but you got to chose your battles and this isn't one you will win. If you have a proper open face notch, it can stay attached until its on the ground. Thats the whole point of it. It gives you more control.
Very sensible good advice, you sound very enthusiastic and keen which is really good and will help you become a good arborist as you want know 'why' about everything. However at this stage of you career it is important not to get your ambitions confussed with your capabilities. Keep listening and asking questions but respect your teachers trust in allowing you up a tree in the first place.

Very sensible good advice, you sound very enthusiastic and keen which is really good and will help you become a good arborist as you want know 'why' about everything. However at this stage of you career it is important not to get your ambitions confussed with your capabilities. Keep listening and asking questions but respect your teachers trust in allowing you up a tree in the first place.
Sounds like a good plan that I am trying to work on thanks for the advice I hope to go up a tree soon I am buying a new climbing line saturday, and a guy at work is hooking me up with some of his old gear

For **** sakes, it's FINISH not finnish.

Finnish is something that is related to being from Finland (that's in Europe).

Sometimes you want the tree to jump the stump, sometimes to stay with the stump. If you're in the tree, you want it to jump the stump. If the top/branch hangs on to the stump too long (while in the tree), it will land on the top, and depending on the species, load up energy like a pole vault pole and the butt will spring back. A problem if you have a tight drop zone.

For **** sakes, it's FINISH not finnish.

Finnish is something that is related to being from Finland (that's in Europe).

Sometimes you want the tree to jump the stump, sometimes to stay with the stump. If you're in the tree, you want it to jump the stump. If the top/branch hangs on to the stump too long (while in the tree), it will land on the top, and depending on the species, load up energy like a pole vault pole and the butt will spring back. A problem if you have a tight drop zone.
That's good advice, thanks for posting I will take in all the information I can get:)

Pay your dues, listen, don't give the F U look when you are getting bad instruction, keep learning the correct methods, and just maybe some day you will sore with eagles instead of flocking with turkeys. Doesn't matter what job you are doing.

Pay your dues, listen, don't give the F U look when you are getting bad instruction, keep learning the correct methods, and just maybe some day you will sore with eagles instead of flocking with turkeys. Doesn't matter what job you are doing.
Working on it :)

"Sore with eagles" ? As in, he will literally be sore from being the groundman for these guys?

Bide your time and look around for a crew that is more open to learning g new ways of doi.g things. Sometimes people spend X number of years doing one thing one way and are not keen on learning a differnt method to achieve the same result. Quite a common thing in "skilled" trades. Perhaps talk to your co workers about a skills refresher program, if they have been doing it for so any years techniques have advanced as well as some equipment so it might be a good thing to "Improve company effiecncy, safety, and production" *good employers will read that as a chance to increase profit margins and lower insurance premiums*

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

Bide your time and look around for a crew that is more open to learning g new ways of doi.g things. Sometimes people spend X number of years doing one thing one way and are not keen on learning a differnt method to achieve the same result. Quite a common thing in "skilled" trades. Perhaps talk to your co workers about a skills refresher program, if they have been doing it for so any years techniques have advanced as well as some equipment so it might be a good thing to "Improve company effiecncy, safety, and production" *good employers will read that as a chance to increase profit margins and lower insurance premiums*

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice, I am going to get where I want to be, no worries, but I am going slow, doing tree work in Florida as compared to here is 2 different world's, the only thing I have a jump on is my knots, bucking logs, and running a porta wrap.

It all feels new to me, it's exciting, fun and a good choice IMHO.

and as soon as that tree was moving I got strait the he11 outta there

I do hope that was just some quick typing there, and that you do know proper escape route planning. When the trunk starts to move, set your chain brake and calmly walk away from the trunk at a 45º angle to the direction of the back cut. Of course the route you take should have been cleared in advance, taking particular care to make sure there is nothing you can trip on. "Straight the hell outta there" kind of implies you run straight back from the cut. Anything the falling trunk disturbs or breaks that gets sent flying in your direction will most likely move at a 180º from the falling trunk.

Hopefully you already know all of that but I'm not so sure the rest of your crew would have explained it like that.

I taught a firewood-cutting-kid open faced notches on some pre-commercial falling work (post harvest cleanup of average 4" stems). He said "this is great, so much faster!" I replied, OK, we are going to start over on this technique and the reasons for it, and falling planning in general.

I do hope that was just some quick typing there, and that you do know proper escape route planning. When the trunk starts to move, set your chain brake and calmly walk away from the trunk at a 45º angle to the direction of the back cut. Of course the route you take should have been cleared in advance, taking particular care to make sure there is nothing you can trip on. "Straight the hell outta there" kind of implies you run straight back from the cut. Anything the falling trunk disturbs or breaks that gets sent flying in your direction will most likely move at a 180º from the falling trunk.

Hopefully you already know all of that but I'm not so sure the rest of your crew would have explained it like that.

I taught a firewood-cutting-kid open faced notches on some pre-commercial falling work (post harvest cleanup of average 4" stems). He said "this is great, so much faster!" I replied, OK, we are going to start over on this technique and the reasons for it, and falling planning in general.
Ya where this tree was, my escape route was clear. :) and yes I already knew that

Back