Ham Radio Woodcutters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't need code for any ticket any more. If you can pass the written general, that's all you need!

I tried the general right after acing my tech exam, and proved that while I can memorize a question pool, I don't know too much about radio!

73 de KB1PJY

Don't know how long you've been a ham, I was first licensed in '70....The General test then was harder than the current Extra test by far.

AA0DX
Yaesu FT-990
Yaesu FT-897D
Ameritron AL-811
MFJ-986
Mosley TA-33
Icom 228A, IC-2AT
Yaesu FRG-7
Kenwood R-2000
Just DXing these days (with help from the packet cluster)

We ran a Dahl (now called Sub Zero Heating) OWB for 20 years !
Just installed a Woodmaster 3300, nice unit !
73 es DX

Don't know how long you've been a ham, I was first licensed in '70....The General test then was harder than the current Extra test by far.

I've only had my license for a couple of years, I wasn't even born in 1970! I have the ARRL General study book, but haven't been motivated enough to really hunker down and learn the material. I don't doubt they've "dumbed" it down to attract more non-engineer/science types and keep the hobby going. Sometimes I wish I hadn't given up so early on those subjects in school!

I'm reall glad to see this thread was started.Sitting here,I often wondered if there were any Hams out there in the woods! Ham radio is a great hobby. A two meter handheld or mobile unit could be a lifesaver someday. I was first licensed in 1963 in high school, Presently I hold an amateur extra class ticket,past prez of our local radio club. I am also a VE. Plus I cut a lot of wood!!

Yaesu FT990 HF
Yaesu FT2500
Yaesu FT 1802M
Icom IC2100 for packet
Heathkit DX60
Heathkit Matching VFO
80 meter dipole
160 meter dipole
homebrew 2 meter 5 element quad
and a whole bunch of other assorted ham stuff
For woodcutting...
MS290
MS028 WB
MS028 AV
Fiskars Super Splitter

I'm reall glad to see this thread was started.Sitting here,I often wondered if there were any Hams out there in the woods! Ham radio is a great hobby. A two meter handheld or mobile unit could be a lifesaver someday. I was first licensed in 1963 in high school, Presently I hold an amateur extra class ticket,past prez of our local radio club. I am also a VE. Plus I cut a lot of wood!!

Yaesu FT990 HF
Yaesu FT2500
Yaesu FT 1802M
Icom IC2100 for packet
Heathkit DX60
Heathkit Matching VFO
80 meter dipole
160 meter dipole
homebrew 2 meter 5 element quad
and a whole bunch of other assorted ham stuff
For woodcutting...
MS290
MS028 WB
MS028 AV
Fiskars Super Splitter

My first rig as a Novice: Drake 2B (still own it) and a DX-60B...Back in the day, Novices had CW priveleges only, crystal control, 80/4015 meters only.

N9QON here. I havent worked radio in years so I only have my old Kenwood HT. My father, N9KNV has all the gear I could want for HF, ATV etc....

Dave

de NC4TN

Well I'll be! I thought about starting a similar thread here a week or two ago. NC4TN here, Advanced class ticket, ex-N4WXS, ex-KC4LUE. Licensed since 1989. Operate NC4TN/R on 145.31/144.71 in Bakersville, NC.

Whole family is licensed: XYL Nancy, W4NGH, son Sam, N2NYY (Yankee fan),
daughter Annie, K4SIS.

A rig stays on 50.125 USB amd 7.240 LSB continuously in my shack!

An HT stays on 52.525 FM and whatever the local repeater is while I cut wood.

73', de NC4TN

Well I'll be! I thought about starting a similar thread here a week or two ago. NC4TN here, Advanced class ticket, ex-N4WXS, ex-KC4LUE. Licensed since 1989. Operate NC4TN/R on 145.31/144.71 in Bakersville, NC.

Whole family is licensed: XYL Nancy, W4NGH, son Sam, N2NYY (Yankee fan),
daughter Annie, K4SIS.

A rig stays on 50.125 USB amd 7.240 LSB continuously in my shack!

An HT stays on 52.525 FM and whatever the local repeater is while I cut wood.

73', de NC4TN

NC4TN
Are you on echolink? Is anyone from AS Echolink for that matter? I don't have my wire up so HF is not an option for me right now. I can reach some of you on Echolink. I see an AS Net in our future!

NC4TN
Are you on echolink? Is anyone from AS Echolink for that matter? I don't have my wire up so HF is not an option for me right now. I can reach some of you on Echolink. I see an AS Net in our future!

Joey, I think a net is a great idea. You pick us a freq and we'll go for it. 40 meters should work pretty well this time of year.

I'm not on echolink right now and our EL equipped repeater bit the dust a year ago. I do, however use D-Star digital voice and hope to put up a D-Star repeater over at the farm in NC real soon.

Here's a thread I posted a few weeks ago that I thought you'd enjoy. That's K4SIS, my newly-recruited firewood helper. You can't see it in the photos, but there's a 160 meter full-wave sky loop in the trees above us! Built it from scrap 8 gauge copperweld that I picked up off the railroad right-of-way.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=1762438#post1762438

I plan on going to Dayton for the first time ever next year; maybe see you and other AS hams there.

Mike, NC4TN

A net sounds like a great idea!! And as for Dayton Mike,you gotta go at least once. I just brought up Echolink to see if it works, it does, so I'm good to go too. But if it's decided to get on HF I'm up for that also.

Chet/N8SJD

I am thinking there is a way we can set a time and a frequency and have a quasi-net of woodcutters. Does anyone have suggestions? I am not on HF but could link up with the group thru Echolink...assuming that you have EL or a local repeater linked to it. I wouldn't want to hold anyone back from setting up a 40m get together. I have an elmer down the road that would let me use his rig. If someone has a local 2m repeater that is on EL maybe we could connect that way?

Last edited:
I am thinking there is a way we can set a time and a frequency and have a quasi-net of woodcutters. Does anyone have suggestions? I am not on HF but could link up with the group thru Echolink...assuming that you have EL or a local repeater linked to it. I wouldn't want to hold anyone back from setting up a 40m get together. I have an elmer down the road that would let me use his rig. If someone has a local 2m repeater that is on EL maybe we could connect that way?

All of us are in the East, 'cept for PRJ (Collyfornia), 40 is good for that, maybe 20 so PRJ could join in.

VA7LLB (Canadian Advanced licenced)

Kenwood TM-D710 mobile dual band in the truck
Icom 751A
LDG AT 1000 pro
Carolina Windom 160 antenna

I always have the mobile on in the truck and have found it a useful safety device in the bush. We have several VHF and UHF repeaters I can get into.

The 751A I use just for fun. Spend most of my time of 160 and 80m.

Back