Handsaw cut to index finger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My ground guy cut the top of his left pointer finger on SAT with a Corona handsaw. Took 6 stiches. He is a tough little high school kid that I hire on occasion.

I'm glad he was not injured worse. It will teach him the value of wearing the gloves I provide him...he was not wearing them at the time of the accident....

They are pigskin and canvas gloves. The fingers are all pigskin.

I don't think the gloves would have prevented the injury, but it definitely wouldn't have been as bad. I think stiches may have been avoided had he been wearing the gloves.

Agreed, heavy gloves could have saved a stitch or two. But, like usual, pilot error.

At an EHAP training one of the instructors asked how many people had been cut with chain saws in their career. then he asked about handsaws. Equal numbers. Hmmmm...

Time to go back to flight school...

Tom

Summoning up all the times my handsaw has taken a bite
at me I see a clear pattern.
It has always been late in a long day of work and I should
have stopped working an hour ago or so.
Just starting to see the signs of sloppiness and exhaustment
and quitting before the bruises tell me to. Learing, learing...

If I didn't have my hand saw, I wouldn't go to work! Ditto for my lanyard/ascender combo. You've just got to be careful, and gloves do help. I've nicked myself at least a dozen times, and its allways been somewhere on my hands. Wear gloves! Earplugs! Eye protection! Skullbuckets! Rock On!!!:cool:

this turned into a pretty interesting thread.....i'm surprised guys get knicked up so much with hand saws.:confused:

I get my pointer finger on my right and regularly. I got real big hooks and sometimes the handles seem too small and I'll wrap that thing around the bottom of the blade:eek:

When i was starting out and whacked deadwood with my handsaw all the time, i would followtrough inot mu knuckles frequently.

My handsaw incedednts are mor pinctur wounds then sever lascerations. Never got stitches 'cus of one.

Speaking of Corona hand saws(MY favorite), whats up with those expensive Silky saws? Those suckers cost an arm, and a leg! I wonder if they are really as good as they cost? Anybody out there converted over to them? I'm tempted to try one out, but I don't know....:rolleyes:

I still use a fanno and it is comparable, if not better. Watch out w/ the silky saws. the handle doesn't have a hilt(if you can imagine). from the handle to the blade, there is nothing to stop your hand from scooting up toward the blades if the saw jammed on a forward stroke.

So considering the price, along with the handle design flaw, I will stick with what I've got! Yeah, Fannos are cool, too!

Well guys, here's my 2 cents:

Fanno's are too slow, dull fast, but can be sharpened with feather file. The lack of a hook at the handle end, as the Corona has, means it is less likely to get pulled out of the scabbard. But I haven't used Fanno in years.... also they have zero tooth set, so seem to bind a tiny bit now and then, as compared to the Corona with a bit of set.

Corona's are fine tools, sometimes a bit rough, hold an edge quite well. Nice handle.

Silky: I have the Zubat, Natanoko, and Prosenthei. Fastest cutting, smoothest, hardest steel, thus longest life. Handles a bit flimsy, Zubat scabbard is worthless, straight blade Natanoko and Prosenthei scabbards are nice. High priced but worth it, as most users will agree.

Zubat pole saw is sweet, 21 foot Hayauchi is nice but very fragile.

Attached photo is of tree that was a bit too big for a pony hand saw.....

Corona is good, I have a small all purpose saw with a nice positive click in scabbard.

Silky: I have a nice folding one, I forget the model, cuts like a hot knife through warm butter, watch the knuckles and the follow through on the last pass, I have caught good wood below my cut a couple times. ( on the final cut of the 3)

Fanno: works ok, 12 inch blade cuts nice when a long stroke is possible, cleans ok, didnt like it much when doing sappy wood (pine and some large juniper, it plugged quick)

top choice after my loquaciousness... I would have to say Silky.

I used to be a Corona user till I spent the bucks and got a Zubat, that saw rocks! It will out cut a corona easy.

I've tapped myself count less time with the saw, on the forearm, and several times on the thigh close to my knee, and most recently on my thumb. These were all cuts where I ended up with about 10 tiny holes and lots of blood. They heal quick with no scars (thanks to neosporin) and don't really hurt, but that blood pumping always looks scary. I've never raked it across myself that would be time for stiches. The cut on my thumb nuckle was the worst, It kept getting hit doing all kinds of other things that would open it back up. ---I've never touched myself with a chain saw, I like to think I show about the same amount of respect for both tools, but my Zubat tends to be cutting a lot more frequently than my 335.
Greg

Ddbeck and Masterblaster, We can tell you haven't used a silky saw. I hope that the forgoing posts have made you think about trying them. I like Coronas-they are great saws at a great price but silkys cut faster and smoother MUCH faster and smoother.

ah, stumper! You are incorrect, Ihave used a silky saw on several occasions. I will admit it was an unfair comparison because I never was able to use one that was relatively new.

Latest posts

Back