Handsaw cut to index finger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Dang! I guess I'm gonna have to shell-out 3 times as much, and check one of these bad-boys out! Sometimes, 'ya gotta overlook the price thing, 'ya know? I just know THAT will be one saw that never gets loaned out!

John Paul Sanborn

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
The cut a silky makes is good enough for finnish carpentry.

The blade lasts 3 times longer then a Fanno.

Cuts faster and easier than anything I've ever used.

I will agree, the scabbard sucks. And the saw will shread a leather scabard.

Tape all moving parts of a Zubat scabbard, and use a hole saw to put a claenout in the tip of it.

Tim Gardner

Tim Gardner

ArboristSite Guru
Scabbards- get a length of PVC or ABS. Use a heat gun or the stove to heat it up until it is soft enough to flatten out and shape to the blade and handle of the saw. It only takes a few minutes and lasts a lot longer that the Zubat or Sherrill scabbards.

Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap

Addicted to ArboristSite
MB,

The Zubat will fit any other scabbard.

One reason the Silky saws seem more expensive is that they come with a scabbard. If you add a belting scabbard to the price of another saw, you'll see that Silky's aren't that much more. Besides!!! they're on SALE gang. Look in the upper corner.

During one of our campfire chats with the Danish arbos, they all said that they use handsaws more and more. Since they have to wear leg and foot protection if they use a chainsaw in the tree, its easier to use the Silkys, even if they haul along an Ibuki for the big stuff.

Does anyone know of a climber who has gone back after using a Silky? I don't know any. What does that say about the cost/value?

Tom

NickfromWI

NickfromWI

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm another convertee

I started with Corona, and since TCI in Milwaukee, have been using silky zubat. I quickly converted the scabbard to the leg version (mine IS ansi compiant!) The scabbard has lasted me thus far. I'm on my second blade and first scabbard. Every couple months, i put a coating of epoxy cement on the part that gets worn often by pulling and putting the saw in/from the scabbard.

Drop the corona and pick of the silky.

love
nick

TREETX

TREETX

Addicted to ArboristSite
I am a recent convert. Pretty nice saw. POS scabbard.

Amazingly smooth cuts.

Been cutting the deadwood out of monster live oaks the last 2 days using just the Zubat. Cuts good but my hand is worn out from using it all day.

Most guys here prune with an echo:mad:

ok2climb

ok2climb

ArboristSite Lurker
handsaw

Try a silky and i bet you'll never go back to anything but. They cut so much nicer than any corona i've ever used, those japanese guys know what their doing with that steel. It's all about that finish cut and i swear by them.

TREETX

TREETX

Addicted to ArboristSite
Fillet-o-finger

Ouch!! Zubat fillet-o-middle finger today. Being a retard I guess. felt kinda sick and dizzy today. Truck battery was dead and almost called off work. Jumped is and headed to the job all dizzy headed and feverish.

Wack!! What was I thinking?? Clean cut and lots o blood. I was good and didn't bleed on the pavement. Washed it and got the bleeding to stop after about 10 minutes. Taped it up and did what I think is most theraputic - got back up there and started cutting deadwood.

Finger joints getting sore. May need a finger transplant soon. If not, maybe a brain transplant at the least :dizzy:

When will I learn to have as much respect for my Zubat as I do for my 044??

treeman82

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
I got my first Silky cut yesterday while on a shrub pruning job. Pretty sure I was using my Super Accel. Was lucky though, I only drew blood from 3 very small points on my thumb. I have been using Silky hand saws for probably close to a year now and will not go back to anything else. Just ordered a replacement blade for my Zubat because I think either the blade is dull, or bent. My money is on bent though. I am pretty sure I had bought a Super Accel about 3 or 4 years ago at a lawn mower shop. LOVED that saw until it turned up missing :mad: For anybody who hasn't tried one yet, please consider giving them a chance :)

TREETX

TREETX

Addicted to ArboristSite
Forgot my moral of the story for the day.......

The Zubat DOES cut easier and faster than the Corona.....;)

Someone else's turn to do testing...I'm done :p

Mattman

Mattman

ArboristSite Member
Bob Fanno's saws are made of cold rold swedish steel and laminated handles. I have been using them for about five years now, and have not replaced a handle yet.

Latest posts