Happy days!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The unfortunate reality of this is that as these companies begin to lose profits because of OWBs, they will begin to lobby against the "ineffecient energy source.":chainsaw:

i love it

i love the topic. gives me a warm and fuzzy to know that putting in my wood stove in my new home was the best move ive made. its just sad that we are told over and over again to not use so many resources and yet when we put in the effort and do that extra work to not burn oil or gas its the companies that sell the oil and gas that will do anything to make you conform and pay them your hard earned money.

this makes me so mad i want to go kill a tree:chainsaw: and when its on the ground ill be :greenchainsaw: and the gas company will be:monkey: :cry: :buttkick::dizzy: and ill just sit back and :popcorn: in my warm house with my gas meter not spinning

happy cutting

I have Columbia Gas, and they take an "actual" meter reading ever other month. On those off months I check it and send in the reading. 9 times out of 10 they don't believe that I am using so little natural gas and give me a "higher estimate"(ie larger bill) of a typical owner of a house in my village. Can't stand it!

I would just pay the gas bill every other month in the winter when the "actual reading" comes in. No sense in giving them your extra hard earned money a month early.

Then fetch up that letter from the rubbish, find a nice frame, and hang it in the woodshed. It'll give you cause to smile every time you go to reload. :cheers:

I was think'en more along the line of using it for OWB fuel and then sending them a picture of it burning, LOL

Send me somemoe of them there letters cause they give me more free heat:popcorn:

Our electric company did the same thing the first year we started burning.Historically our electric bill is 300 a month, everything is electric.
After 3 months of a 140 dollar electric bill, they sent us a letter telling us that an inspector would be at our place to examine the meter.
When he showed up he fiddled with the meter for awhile, then asked why we were using so little power. I explained that we now heat with wood and even showed him the woodpiles out back.
Then he wanted to come in the house to accertain the woodstove actually being there.I pointed to the new stack coming out of the house with the smoke curling out of it and asked him if that wasnt enough.
He got in his truck and left. Havent heard a word from them since.

I noticed from tracks in the snow someone had been out checking my gas meter last week which I thought was odd since it wasn't their usual time of the month. Then yesterday we got an envelope in the mail from the gas company. I thought it was just a bill and didn't take time to open it last night. Now I'm wondering if it's a letter accusing me of stealing gas... I really hope it is and I really hope they want to come into my house to "inspect" things (their meter's on the outside). It'll be a great stress reliever to tell them to go F themselves.

let them

call up tell them they can see the meter any time they want. let them know what side of the house it is on.

then take your snow blower and pile up 10 feet of snow in,on.and around the meter. then stand there and tell them...ooo :censored: no your not going till you check my meter. you accuse me of stealing you go right ahead and prove me wrong. Also dont forget to take pics of the poor sap they sent out and his troubles getting to your meter and post them on here for us all to see.

call up tell them they can see the meter any time they want. let them know what side of the house it is on.

then take your snow blower and pile up 10 feet of snow in,on.and around the meter. then stand there and tell them...ooo :censored: no your not going till you check my meter. you accuse me of stealing you go right ahead and prove me wrong. Also dont forget to take pics of the poor sap they sent out and his troubles getting to your meter and post them on here for us all to see.

That doesnt work with the utility co's. They will make you remove the snow,and if you dont they will "estimate" the reading,the estimate will be high enough that you dont bury it again.Dont ask me how I know this.:monkey:

Laugh at them!....prize for 1st inspection photo

When they come or call be POLITE (remember you have MORE class than they do). Then just laugh at them like it's the biggest joke that they are crying about lost $$$. Tell them they can come for your amusement any time!
Let them know how funny you think it is that they can't figure out why all that wood you burn just might save $$$ on utility bills....Just laugh at them...If they persist remind them that they work for a bunch of imbiciles...don't insult or belittle them, that will just lower you. There shoud be a prize here for the first photo posted of a meter inspection.:popcorn:

I was think'en more along the line of using it for OWB fuel and then sending them a picture of it burning, LOL

Send me somemoe of them there letters cause they give me more free heat:popcorn:

Best idea so far. Just attach a copy of the letter they sent you along with the picture and a little note from you with words to the effect: "There's nothing wrong with my meter or my wood burner but I appreciate your concern."

I would definitely be opposed to harrasing the poor guy whose got to check the meters. Unless it's an "inspector" that is. Middle management is fair game IMO.

Another option is to find out when they are due to show up and turn off your gas and secure it with a pad lock. When they ask, tell them you only unlock it at odd intervals for some ridiculous reason. Like for one hour at 6 AM and 6PM on Sun, Mon, Wed and Fri just to keep the eggs from freezing or they won't hatch during the solstice and (with your best conspiritorial grin) we all know how bad things can get when that happens.

Our local LP company told me if I didn't use a minimum amount, they would charge me a non-use fee. I ignored them. Then they said they would come get the tank. I said "Fine." They didn't . Finally I decided we didn't need the backup--had water heatpump in other part of the house from the insert. Called them and told them to take it out. Amazing how the attitude changed. They finally did and had to pay for a full tank of fuel at winter prices. Sometimes life is sweet!

Columbia Gas is the biggest joke there is around here. They act like a bunch of second grade bullies on the playground. Best thing to do is CYA and laugh at them.

Back