Hardest Timber you cut with your saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just happened to think of another 2 trees mulberry and dead dry black gum. Never have cut a mulberry with a saw but bent the edge on an axe in three strokes. The black gum is still laying where it was pushed over because nothing but one of the old 1/2 pitch gear drive saws would cut it.

differnce between blackjacks and blackjack oaks... I'm not sure there IS a difference. The little sorry things live in oklahoma EVERYWHERE and they are an oak. I've cut lots of them down, but they don't really seem all that hard to me. I cut a lot of Bur oak and they seem the same or a little harder.

You guys that cut dead hedge: your retarded or got an education :) You can cut it green and burn it or cut it green and let it season up and THEN split it and THEN burn it :) it'll never rot :)

The hedge post you guys think you can rich cutting aren't as easy as you'd think either. Find a straight hedge. I've got thousands and thousands of hedge tree's and if you get 3 posts out of 1 tree you're doing pretty good at times. I've cut for a week and haven't got a single corner sized peice.

It's those fricken limbs off the Blackjack That I don't like. The rest of the tree I haven't had any problem with.

A buddy and I cut up a large Mulberry last year and it wasn't to bad.
I agree about getting post from Hedge. Luckily I know a cutter that sells me
un-split Hedge for 30 bucks a rick, when its availible.

I cut two kinds of wood that is pretty hard on chains.(Hedge and Blackjack)
Just the other day I cut some Hedge and my chains lasted a quite a while.
Today I cut some Blackjack that had me filing too much.
I think the limbs on Blackjack are petrified!:jawdrop:

As far as oak's dad will burn White oak, Post oak and Blackjack.
Dang, dead Blackjack limbs are mean to cut in more ways than one.
Seems they want to grab you and not let go, limbs are so hard and stiff
it's hard to get to the trunk of the tree.

TT

white oak but the 038 mag chewed right through it, after attempting to cut it with my old p26 pioneer.

Mountain Mahogany.

Dried dead it is something else.

I've cut on fires in 18 states/over 50 National Forests/+ 3 Nat Parks/several BLM Districts/State Lands etc and some in Alberta to boot.

Does make a great barbeeeeque.

Yeah, what he said. And ditto on having been in multiple locations. Currently in MI for the winter, I wanna go cut some Osage to compare to Mountain Mahogany.

Latest posts

Back