Has anyone ever heard of this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaleighForestry

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I saw an article in the most recent ISA southern chapter newsletter regarding the use of canola oil as bar oil. Has anyone ever heard of doing this, and if so how does it work? It is supposed to minimize environmental impacts by eliminating the use of petroleum bar oil. If any of you have tried this how does it price out?

RaleighForestry said:
I saw an article in the most recent ISA southern chapter newsletter regarding the use of canola oil as bar oil. Has anyone ever heard of doing this, and if so how does it work? It is supposed to minimize environmental impacts by eliminating the use of petroleum bar oil. If any of you have tried this how does it price out?

I know a few peple who use it, it's thinner and does not have th anti-sling compounds in it so it will not work as well as high grade bar oil.

None of them have trashed a bar or chain and I've not heard that it causes excessive wear. One guy uses cheap veggie oil.

It's nice when you are running the sa all day and dont have all that crap all over you.

i've used veggie oil for a LONG time with no wear concerns.

I just found out that it's not a good idea to store a saw with veggie oil in the pump. My 335 is clogged and I have no clue how I'm going to clean it without stripping the whole saw down.

Veggie oil is nothing new. The discussion on this website has been going on for years. Check the archives.

Tom, Im no chainsaw expert by any stretch of the imagination, but could you put some gas in the oil tank, shake it up a bit and see if it clears it up?

Interesting. First he says this:

John Paul Sanborn said:
it will not work as well as high grade bar oil.

Then he says this:
John Paul Sanborn said:
None of them have trashed a bar or chain and I've not heard that it causes excessive wear.

So, if it doesn't trash the bar or chain, and doesn't cause excessive wear, how is it that it doesn't work as well as high grade bar oil? :confused:

My saw wasn't used foor TWENTY months. Take that into consideration...next time I'll empty the oil tank, flush and run dry before storing for a long time. Small price to pay for the benefits, both economic and environmental.

mushroom spore bar oil

I don't remember where, but I have seen for sale, a vegetable based bar oil that supposedly contained mushroom spore, (shi-take,oyster,...). The idea being that you might be able to induce these edible mushrooms to grow, say, while you were thinning out your forest/woodlot etc. This doesn't really help you with your problem, Tom...peace

I sub for a guy every now and again who uses vegtable oil in his saws. There have been a couple of times when I filled up my saw and put some of his veggie oil in my tank. Im not sure what the long term harm or benefit would be, I just know it makes my saw smell like french fries.

Kenn

Yes,vegetable based bar oil may cause weight gain in tree climbers.
Seriously it works BETTER than tacky petroleum bar oil.

Fer real Stumper. Kool a gal of bar oil cost 5 bucks here in GA. Crisco bar oil here i come.. Imma start runnin it fer real thou..:blob2:

I like the idea of switching to veggie oil for the enviornmental and economical factors. However, I am wondering if the veggie oil is so thin that you are going through it too fast? Right now, I have to add oil every time I fuel up. Both oil and gas tanks seem to empty at the same rate.

--I would imagine most of you do the same.

My point/concern is: Is the veggie oil going to inconvience me by runnig out of oil before I use a tank of gas? I wouldn't like that at all.

But, the idea of smelling french fries might be worth it. :laugh:

Tom Dunlap said:
That's what I have done...the gas is just soaking now. I dread the thought of having to dismantle the saw.

I'm not a chemist, but my instincts tell me that gas dissolves or dilutes petroleum, and that a SOAP solution would dilute, dissolve or clean a cooking or vegetable oil.

I'd try boiling water and soap if I were to try anything. Then drain and dry.

I may try the Canola Oil thing. I've wanted an alternative for quite a while.

Sound like the key is to run the oil out and store with a bar oil.

notahacker said:
I like the idea of switching to veggie oil for the enviornmental and economical factors. However, I am wondering if the veggie oil is so thin that you are going through it too fast? Right now, I have to add oil every time I fuel up. Both oil and gas tanks seem to empty at the same rate.

--I would imagine most of you do the same.

My point/concern is: Is the veggie oil going to inconvience me by runnig out of oil before I use a tank of gas? I wouldn't like that at all.

But, the idea of smelling french fries might be worth it. :laugh:

No matter what you are useing for oil, you should adjust your oiler so that your fuel runs out right before your oil does. So if the veggie oil is running a little fast, turn doen your oiler. I think I'm gonna try this myself, right after I finish the gallon of bar oil that I just bought.

Latest posts

Back