Has anyone have a brand new OEM stihl piston explode within seconds of the first start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the zip t method and had no issues...went on as smooth as butter and used my fingernails to set them in place
The rope inside there is the only thing that sounds logical that could break a ring based on what info
I have from you so far. Cant wait to hear how the Meteor works out and I am sure it will.

For you that's curious.....even though the meteor has a less of a tolerance, all seems to be fine. I fired it up and did one heat cycle, will do the other in the AM. Cant say I'm super happy with the results , but 2950rpm seems fine by my means.....as long as it stays there or drops a hundred rpm or so.

And one more thing, clean that muffler out of all flak before running this saw again.
And one more thing, clean that muffler out of all flak before running this saw again.

I'll take that into account......I'll be sure to clean and flush the muffler, and just so you know I very much appreciate the response you have given me this far.

The rope inside there is the only thing that sounds logical that could break a ring based on what info
I have from you so far. Cant wait to hear how the Meteor works out and I am sure it will.
I'm thinking the melted knot on the piston stop rope lined up with the ringland on the very front edge and caused it to pinch the ring.

Okay, so first original startup was fine, but I did a very short cycle seeing as my neighbors are complaining about my saws now that it gets dark at 5pm.....for whatever reason it bothers them. I started the saw and had a good idle. Cut it out after about 10 seconds. This was 3 days ago since I dont get home until 6pm or later.

The saw will fire first pull full choke, half choke runs like a raped ape, seems to be a bit high of rpm but haven't attached my tach. Then with no choke it fires first pull but runs only for about 5 seconds. Like I said, new fuel line, after the cylinder incident and .meteaor piston I was only getting 135psi before ever starting it. I will double check impulse line, but I'm stuck with the saw only running for about 5-10 seconds. I rebuilt the carb, but did not do the block off. The only thing I didnt replace new on this saw was the carb.

I'm worried now if I'm dealing with a bad carb, or just low compression. Vacuum and pressure test were good. I'm balls deep into this saw now and am thinking it's something simple but any input is greatly appreciated

After turning choke off it starts first pull and dies after a few seconds....seems much like fuel starvation. No pinched line....what could be causing this. I also did not put in a new vent tip.....could this be a culprit?

Okay, so first original startup was fine, but I did a very short cycle seeing as my neighbors are complaining about my saws now that it gets dark at 5pm.....for whatever reason it bothers them. I started the saw and had a good idle. Cut it out after about 10 seconds. This was 3 days ago since I dont get home until 6pm or later.

The saw will fire first pull full choke, half choke runs like a raped ape, seems to be a bit high of rpm but haven't attached my tach. Then with no choke it fires first pull but runs only for about 5 seconds. Like I said, new fuel line, after the cylinder incident and .meteaor piston I was only getting 135psi before ever starting it. I will double check impulse line, but I'm stuck with the saw only running for about 5-10 seconds. I rebuilt the carb, but did not do the block off. The only thing I didnt replace new on this saw was the carb.

I'm worried now if I'm dealing with a bad carb, or just low compression. Vacuum and pressure test were good. I'm balls deep into this saw now and am thinking it's something simple but any input is greatly appreciated

After turning choke off it starts first pull and dies after a few seconds....seems much like fuel starvation. No pinched line....what could be causing this. I also did not put in a new vent tip.....could this be a culprit?
Sounds like the carb if you are sure it passed vac and pressure test.
Is that a C1Q 126 carb, if so I can prob get the carb running for you send it here.
Did you blow compressed air through the carb?
Fuel filter on?

Sounds like the carb if you are sure it passed vac and pressure test.
Is that a C1Q 126 carb, if so I can prob get the carb running for you send it here.
Did you blow compressed air through the carb?
Fuel filter on?
When you say did I blow compressed air through the carb what do you mean?....while I had it apart and all diaphragms aways I blew compressed air through, even my smallest of torch cleaning tips were small enough for this carbs orifices so unlike most carbs "I deal" with on a daily basis they weren't helpful. Cant remember right off the top of my head which carb it is, I might have pics but if not since wife's now asleep it doesnt take much to slide down to the garage and check. Only thing I've read about "some" of the ms200t carbs is the unserviceable accelerator pump wearing out and do the block off.

Now that I had pulled the exhaust off and looked I saw slight bubbles the first rotation but couldnt get the same reaction twice. Kind of worried I'm a little low at 135psi

When you say did I blow compressed air through the carb what do you mean?....while I had it apart and all diaphragms aways I blew compressed air through, even my smallest of torch cleaning tips were small enough for this carbs orifices so unlike most carbs "I deal" with on a daily basis they weren't helpful. Cant remember right off the top of my head which carb it is, I might have pics but if not since wife's now asleep it doesnt take much to slide down to the garage and check. Only thing I've read about "some" of the ms200t carbs is the unserviceable accelerator pump wearing out and do the block off.

Now that I had pulled the exhaust off and looked I saw slight bubbles the first rotation but couldnt get the same reaction twice. Kind of worried I'm a little low at 135psi
Possibly ruined the carb with that air in there . That compression will run it fairly nice. You could send me the carb and I could try to fix it but first I need to know if its a 126 model .

The older carbs with black rubber check valves are the ones that get ruined with compressed air. These newer ones with the tan carbon fiber check valves can take it just fine. But you only need a light blow to dry out carb cleaner hiding in passages. I avoid using carb cleaner on carbs with accelerator pumps. The pump shafts usually have a black rubber o ring and most cleaners will eat at them.

If by vent tip you mean fuel tank vent then I'd definitely pull that thing and check it out. I've seen more 200's need vent and filter replacement than any other saw.

This is a picture of the number I pulled off the carb. To my surprise there was a limiting cap on the high needle, I've never experienced this personally while dealing with 200ts, but I've only owned 3. Is this common? Anyways let me know what you think. Carb had fresh gaskets/diagrams after taking to the compressed air.

Attachments

• 20181128_194648.jpg
    20181128_194648.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
This is a picture of the number I pulled off the carb. To my surprise there was a limiting cap on the high needle, I've never experienced this personally while dealing with 200ts, but I've only owned 3. Is this common? Anyways let me know what you think. Carb had fresh gaskets/diagrams after taking to the compressed air.
:popcorn2:

Back