Has anyone have a brand new OEM stihl piston explode within seconds of the first start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GSully23

GSully23

ArboristSite Lurker
I'm assuming you find it funny I've never dealt with a limiter cap on a 200t....but I've always bought them used and abused for the most part. Not trying to be disrespectful at all, especially since you've been so helpful. I pressure and vacuum tested using my instruments from work for checking gear cases....we use "stevens" pressure and vacuum gauges at my work and I used adapter to fit....using an old HD motocross tire to seal off exhaust and an extra stihl PN 1129 121 8600 to seal the intake?

lone wolf
I'm assuming you find it funny I've never dealt with a limiter cap on a 200t....but I've always bought them used and abused for the most part. Not trying to be disrespectful at all, especially since you've been so helpful. I pressure and vacuum tested using my instruments from work for checking gear cases....we use "stevens" pressure and vacuum gauges at my work and I used adapter to fit....using an old HD motocross tire to seal off exhaust and an extra stihl PN 1129 121 8600 to seal the intake?
Since the limiter is on the carb I'm assuming you didn't
unscrew the H jet and clean that port?

GSully23

GSully23

ArboristSite Lurker
No I didnt... I will do that tonight....this was a different limiter cap than I've seen with my other stihl saws. Like I said I honestly didnt notice until I pulled the carb to get the numbers for you this evening

Attachments

• 20181128_222152.jpg
    20181128_222152.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25

rd35

Just an average Joe's brother!!
. AS Supporting Member.
Hmmm.....just read through this entire thread. Not one person mentioned the appearance of the break-out area on that piston. It's not shiny and silver. It is very discolored. In my experience, every time I see this condition...its a direct result of a crack propagation that has been in existence long enough to allow the metal to begin to discolor. So, in this particular case and with what I am seeing in the photo, I'd say that piston was cracked long before it was ever taken out of the box!

blsnelling
This is not a piston failure. That piston got caught on something in the transfer port. It didn't just crack, it was busted to pieces under force.

20181123_135508-jpg.686177

15430183186876072131917509630989-jpg.686195

blsnelling
Hmmm.....just read through this entire thread. Not one person mentioned the appearance of the break-out area on that piston. It's not shiny and silver. It is very discolored. In my experience, every time I see this condition...its a direct result of a crack propagation that has been in existence long enough to allow the metal to begin to discolor. So, in this particular case and with what I am seeing in the photo, I'd say that piston was cracked long before it was ever taken out of the box!
That's simply poor lighting. Zoom in on the pic I copied. That's all fresh metal.

Latest posts