Haven't been in the Milling section in a while, been too busy to mill...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Bob. When I hear things like that I am glad I live in a place that has cold winters, it eliminates a lot of pests and dangerous snakes in my area. People always have a tendency to over use just about anything, it's a shame they have done it with the chemicals.

Home shop progress

Went away for a few days and got back this afternoon and looks what had sprung up! Due to lack of time I'm having it built for me - It's all steel construction because the termites are rampant at this spot on our property.

attachment.php

New 20 x 13' on LHS and Old 17 x 11' shop on the RHS.
Gap shows a 48" wide door. I'll eventually clad the old one to look like the new one.

attachment.php

This shows how the shops are touching each other. Once the new section is complete, the RHS cross beams are unbolted and the old wall between the two shops will be removed. Still debating whether to keep the upright. I might build an archway and remove it. Gap between old and new roof will become a south facing skylight.

attachment.php

Proposed metal working end of the shop. I'm planning on a small vented welding booth in the middle of that wall and a couple of grinding stations either side..

So far I'm quite pleased with it.

Looks Good BobL. Twice as much space now. Looks nice and warm there too. Not so here. Ice and snow snapped a branch on the Apple tree. I'll make charcoal from some of it.
2066837520105432928S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2620834470105432928S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The roof truss wouldn't handle snow loads very well in Idaho. You might get away with it in Oz, though. :msp_cool:

Yeah our minimum angle rooflines here are 4º. It has never snowed since the British settled here in 1827 and only goes below freezing about a couple of hours a year. The nearest snow to make a snowman falls about once in every 10 years about 220 miles away. The nearest annual snow is 2500 miles away to the east.

Last edited:
BobL must be considerably cheaper to build when you don't have to worry about snow load or a 4 foot frost depth. Although you probably have to insulate just as much as us up hear just to keep the heat out. I don't have to worry about my engineered roof truss crushing under the snow load. The 6" walls will buckle first.

Congrats on the new shop. I bet you can't wait.

Looking good Bob, I still haven't been milling in quite awhile, going crazy. Busy time of year for me. My place is looking like Timberframed's.

Well the major construction of the new shop is complete.

Next is the electrics, then I will insulate and line it and I am also going to install a sink. I have plenty of time to do all this because it's going to be a while before I start moving major machinery in because I have to wait 12 weeks for the concrete floor to dry/cure so I can pant it with concrete paint.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I was really pleased with the contractors that put it up. The building contract stipulated that there would be at least 3ft of clear access on all sides during the building phase which meant removing the two small Chinese tallow trees in front of the shed. Instead I left them in the ground and when the contractors came I negotiated with them (ie beer) to leave the trees in the ground - which they did very willingly. I was not there when they finished but they left behind a heap of colorbond wall and roof cladding, a couple of rolls of insulation, plus a BIG bag of bolts and various tek screws. There are in fact almost enough sheets of colorbond for me to reclad the old shed.

Here's some shots of the inside,
attachment.php

The large MDf box is effectivey the first project. I'm taking the opportunity while I have the space to help my son build a racing car simulator cockpit. It will be upholstered and have a lid so it can live in a living room and act as a sort of giant footrest - I'll post some pics when there's a bit more to see than a box. I don't like working with MDF since I'm allergic to it but with my new big blue dust collector (DC) available I was prepared to give it another go.

The industrial strength 3HP DC is a celebratory present to myself for finally getting the shop this far. Longterm the DC is not staying inside the shop but going outside in it's own enclosure when I get the new ducting set up but just for now it's inside. It has 5 micron dust bags which is overkill for being located outside but just for now it's good for working with MDF and the neighbors will probably appreciate it when I start up a thicknesser.

attachment.php

Here you can see I've opened up the window thru to the old shop. Eventually that whole wall will come down so the two individual shops just becomes one. It was a real surprise to see visually what length of shop wall I will have to play with (30.5 ft) The gap between the tops of the sheds will become a skylight and vent.

attachment.php

This shows the gap behind the old shop ( 4 ft). The pile of RHS on the left up against the fence is what I'm planning to use for a welding bench and some serious internal shelving. The transparent lean to houses my old DC and I will be rebuilding that to hold the new one. The 3HP make a tad more noise than the old one so some mild sound proofing will be needed as well.

Glad to see you'll have some more room Bob, I bet with all of the tools you must have it must get very hard to move around.

Home shop update

Day job plus lousy warm weather really overwhelmed me for a while in these last 2 months so no milling action. Plus I have been working on the new half of my shop.

attachment.php

Here you can see the miniorb metal lining of the metal working end of the shed. The insulation under that is rockwool. The white lining is gyprock and that has plastic bubble wrap and ally insulation under it. The wiring was finished yesterday. The run from the house to the shop is 3 phase with a 40A breaker on the line. Inside the new part of the shop there are 4 circuits with 11 double power points, one single 15A (3HP) point and 4 lights. Outside there is one 15A (3HP) for a compressor and one light. When I revamp the old part of the shed that section will have a similar number of points.

Last edited:
I know your pain Bob, I have never been so busy as I have been the last six months. Now that I am slowing down, the weather is playing nice. Oh, well, I 'll get out when I can and then I can finally have more to contribute again.

Bob i was jealous of the new shop ,as mine was still a pile of steel ,but now i am smoking .You got 3 phase to your shop ? thats only available here in industrial areas . I have to run inverters to make my own.

I'm still around and just pop in from time to time to check out the action.

Progress on my home shop has been steady.
Over easter I added reticulated compressed air.
Last weekend I did the plumbing and yesterday I started moving in. Well at least got the heavy wood work machines off the back veranda so SWMBO is well pleased. The mills are still on the back patio and will be there for a while yet but I want to eventually be able to get them into the older part of the shed
attachment.php

Next is fully opening up the 13 ft connection between the two sheds. This requires a fair bit of construction of roof beam support before I can remove the supporting poles.

Bob whats in the big gray box ? . shop sure looking good .

Cheers john, The big gray box is a set of plan/chart storage drawers. It's gonna be useful for small tool and fixing storage. When I get around to it I will build a bench for it to sit in. There will also be enough room to store stuff (lumber offcuts etc) underneath.

I have already set up a couple of drawers with stuff, here's the measure tools drawer.
View attachment 183204
The drawers are 56" wide so a 4' level and T-square easily fit inside
attachment.php

what kind of air compressor ? . ok thats all my ? for now.

I currently have a 2.5 HP single cylinder cheapie that I will look at replacing sometime with a multi cylinder unit.

Looking great Bob, that is a very well setup shop you have there.

Thanks JD, that's the new half - eventually I have to transfer all the stuff out of the old shop into the new one and then renovate the old one.

This involves;
- jacking up one corner of the roof. One corner of the building has slumped ~4" over the last 35 years and the easiest thing will be to jack the roof up.
- replace the cracked and slumped floor with new concrete
- rewire it
- reclad and line it

At this stage you might well ask why not trash it a build a new one?
The reason is if I build a new one the city council will enforce the latest building regulations, whereas if I renovate I can stick to the old regs. The main difference is how close I can be to property boundary. There's only one foot of difference in the regs but on a small inner city block like we have every sq ft counts.

That is very understandable Bob, it is the same over here with the building codes. Thank God I live out in the sticks and can do pretty much what I want when I want to. Your milling holidays must be even more special because you truly do get to get away.

Back