heat oil with wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.... All that effort to gather and split wood, stoke the stove, not to mention the investment in equipment, and they are throwing away half their heat because they are too cheap to insulate! :dizzy:

The first place to start is I believe insulate your house! You can save big time on heating costs either conservative or alternative.

merry christmas & happy new year

7sleeper

somewhere in my posts i said "water, hands down" and that i was going to buy 200' of 1" thermopex.

they do offer the 1.25" but, is it really worth the difference? is it noticable?

me and the old man are already on a mission to build a bigger burner and install it this summer.

we're going with 3/8 steel, high tensile rod. at the minimum 5x5x3 firebox.

this weekend i'm going to install the digital thermostats in the houses and run the wire. grab some transforms and wire them up for the 24v. install two heat exchangers and fans in both houses. ONe house has forced air, the other has a wood furnace. In the process hunt up some 24v/110v relays and some blowers.

(they're 25x22x4" x 2) exchangesr. central boiler says their 19x21x4' is like 140K btu. Dunno how many btu these will put out. should be nearly the same, maybe more? If not as much, using two should displace quite a bit of heat? no?

i have 2 250 gallon propane tanks. the guy we got them from used them for water tanks for some weird reason. they're 3/8" itself. going to insualte them up as well this weekend. Figure i'd put them in the garage. If they're not super ultra insulated, they'll act as radiant heat and keep the garage's warm.

hopefully this turns out good this weekend.

thanks for the info

Flash Point

It would not be wise to keep the oil stored above it's flash point. For example #2 Fuel oil has a flash point of about 130F. At this temp the vapors given off will ignite. Also such a homemade system could invalidate your insurance policy should anything happen. Use water.....it is safe and it works.:popcorn:

/me takes a pen and makes a 3rd mark on the tally sheet...

using water, hands down.

btw, building my own. they want over $14,000 for the 7260 from centralboiler.

i *KNOW* for a fact i can build one for a fraction of that price in my free time this summer. and from some measuring of my buddies i looked at, they use 1/4" plate. i thought about going with 3/8".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back