heat with a wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 200 year old cape with about 1/2 basement and 1/2 crawl space. Well insulated, but old single pane windows (very drafty). I use a Dutchwest non-cat, "medium size", free standing stove. the House is between 1400-1500sf.

I burn about five full cord a year between Late September and June (yes, I said June).

Why? Did they burn through on you? Didn't firebrick 'em?

I know of guys who've properly firebricked theirs, getting 10 or more seasons out of them. Inspected regularly, they certainly can fill the bill. Don't get me wrong though, if money was no object, I'd have a thicker walled custom unit.

TS

Yeah thats what I have noticed is mine tended to rust thru here and there and warp and crack after a year or so kind of made me nervous leaving them running while I went home for the day.

Another reason I got a UL listed airtight wood stove is my insurance company came thru here doing a random annual check one time and when he seen that DB heater his mouth flew open like a two dollar suitcase and dropped me on the spot! D'OH

Kansas

I have a 3 year old soapstone stove, free standing that I heat my 2100 sq ft home with. We use nothing else for heat all heating season. I go through about 3 cords per year and I even tracked wood use and I use about one stick of wood per hour (averaged 24 pieces per day).
The stove I have is rated at 73% effecient and puts out very little smoke.

I have a 3 year old soapstone stove, free standing that I heat my 2100 sq ft home with. We use nothing else for heat all heating season. I go through about 3 cords per year and I even tracked wood use and I use about one stick of wood per hour (averaged 24 pieces per day).
The stove I have is rated at 73% effecient and puts out very little smoke.

That's the way I'm going next year Dennis. :cheers: Woodstock or Hearthstone (in that order) soapstone in addition too the Glenwood cooker in the kitchen will allow me too get the medium sized versus large stove which would be too much.

1 cord

Brand new house, plan on using 3 cords - 1600sq'

Last house, 4 cords - 1600sq'

close the doors to the rooms you aren't using and get some foam sealer. It takes 2 hours and saves you a lot of time/money.

It all depends on where you live. It has been a cold fall / early winter up here minus-22f here this morning without the wind chill. I have about a 1000 square foot, 35 year old house and a Thermo Pride wood furnace in the basement, I have gone through at least 2 cords already, I figure on going through about 8-10 cords by May. And I also heat with wood only.

Last edited:
yea I just went out and did some reading on the newer ones.seems since the 90's they have changed things where you get the secondary burn etc. but even tehn they say the differrence is 30 percent better than the older stoves. and for the prices I jsut can't see it worth it at this point.
granted got this with the house but to go and pay a few thousand ,I might as well kick in a few more and get a owb.
will look again in a few and see what happens.
thanks

1200sf house, partially insulated, Morso 3450 burning when we are home.

This year I will measure what we burn but I would guess less than 3 full cords last year.

So far this year about 1.5 cords of soft maple.

yea I just went out and did some reading on the newer ones.seems since the 90's they have changed things where you get the secondary burn etc. but even tehn they say the differrence is 30 percent better than the older stoves. and for the prices I jsut can't see it worth it at this point.
granted got this with the house but to go and pay a few thousand ,I might as well kick in a few more and get a owb.
will look again in a few and see what happens.
thanks

That's right Jack,

The newer stuff (epa) cat stoves are much more efficient than the old timers. It really just depends on your given situation. I thought about an OWB and even though I have plenty of room and am not close enough too bother anyone, the current rash of legislation on them worries me. That and the fact that most of the designs (the ones I could afford) are not very efficient. I have steam heat and cast iron radiators so my situation is good for hooking one up, but you're still talking 8 grand or better too do it right. For $2g, I can get a nice soapstone too use with my Glenwood cookstove, use half as much wood (as an OWB) and I like the ambiance of the indoor stoves. :cheers:

Back