Heavy duty chainsaw for felling that wont bust budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have an a almost new ms 361 with 20 in bar & extra chain which i
don't need. may be out of your price range. $450. call me if
interested. 903 529 2606

rex iam 60 miles se of waco. a long way from anywhere.

Last edited:
I have my specs here say the cs 670 is 14 lbs I dont think that is bad at all esp for what stihls are weighing in at, but I do know that 038 mags are going cheap on ebay right now as well which is a 72 cc saw. I think the begining of what echo used to be is begining again. I am a stihl man but I do believe that echo will be competing hard soon with their saws I own 2 and I do like them a lot I like the ass end they have on them like stihl does but an echo I feel right now is packing more features into their saws for the price than most competitors. A used 670 can be found very cheap as well good luck.

Husqvarna saws have a system on them that sweeps dust and debris past the filter so this may be an application that they shine.

That Husky filter demo is infomertial material. Reason being that I do not run my saws in heaps of saw chips. Like I do not run my PU truck w/o oil in it. So I do not need that special addative that runs in an engine completely drained of oil. I can run my 044 for hours w/o having to clean off the filter. And when I do, its a tap tap flick flick, or a blast of compressed air, and its done. So whoop-t-forking doo... the 441 has the turbo filtartion too if you want that. Funny how they compare the newer Husky to the older model Stihl.

As for the OP saws, forget the Echos. I have had many, and they do not hold up over time like the others. Look on CL for chainsaw deals. Some guys are selling good condition 361s for $350 and 440s for $400. I see 372s for $400 too. Some of these saws listed on CL are near new condition. For those size trees that you have, I would recommend a 70cc+ 440 or a 372 with a 25 or 28 inch bar. If you have just a few of the 3 footers, and most are more like two footers, a 361 will do just fine with a 25 inch bar. I got by just fine managing an 85 acre tree stand with a 361 and a 290. Most trees there were 12-28 inches, but I lopped down 3+ footers no problem. Even some 4 foot hardwoods with hollow trunks.

Last edited:
As I posted in another forum, the family ranch got toasted by the wildfires sweeping North Central TX. The place is mostly timber, and I anticipate lots of dead post oaks. I'd like to clear them out, maybe have some of the larger ones milled, but my chainsaw is a pathetic Homelite, and I can fell a tree almost as fast with my axe as that thing.

The largest POs are maybe 30"-36" at the base. This timber has no commercial value, I'm sure that's why it's still standing.

I'm thinking I'll need at least 60cc.

Also, as I have 1 child in private school and 1 in college, ahem, money IS an object.

Thanks!

Oaks are pretty hardy. They might survive it better then you think.

That Husky filter demo is infomertial material. Reason being that I do not run my saws in heaps of saw chips. Like I do not run my PU truck w/o oil in it. So I do not need that special addative that runs in an engine completely drained of oil. I can run my 044 for hours w/o having to clean off the filter. And when I do, its a tap tap flick flick, or a blast of compressed air, and its done. So whoop-t-forking doo... the 441 has the turbo filtartion too if you want that. Funny how they compare the newer Husky to the older model Stihl.

While I agree with the point you are making there is no getting around the fact that the "air injection" (husky) / "turbo" (J-red) system works. Although the video is over done. I have gone days without touching the filters on my huskies or jonsereds and have had to start every morning cleaning the filter on some stihls I have used.

just pick up a stihl 064 with a 25 inch bar for $200 and it only needs a coil . I found it at a auction so now I have been watching the auction,s you could find a great saw for little $$$$$ . I also bought a makita 6401 for $399.00 and it was brand new with the warranty I put a 24 inch bar on it and it cut,s real nice they gave me a20 inch bar with it. I know the home depot lets the tool rental sell used one,s once a year for around 175.00 to $200.00 and if you buy a new P&C from Bailey,s for around $200 you could turn it into a 7901 and that as a lot of power if you wanted to put a bigger bar on it i,m sure it could handle a 30-32 inch bar with no trouble. I like the old 268 xp for the money and the the power it is a fun saw to run. my last project was a 038 mag II it is a fast saw but it is a little to heavy for a every day runner. well i,m sure you have allot of great advice from this site I love A-S the guy,s here for the most part seem very helpful and they sure have allot of great info. Best of luck with your choice . Bill :bang:

Here's another, priced OK to buy new, the 65cc husky/jonsered, a modern 266/268XP, grunts easily a 28" bar if that way inclined, the 18" bar better for power, handling and general use, whips the 361 for price whilst knocking on the 044/440's door for performance

ymll1.jpg

fc5.jpg

Here's another, priced OK to buy new, the 65cc husky/jonsered, a modern 266/268XP, grunts easily a 28" bar if that way inclined, the 18" bar better for power, handling and general use, whips the 361 for price whilst knocking on the 044/440's door for performance

ymll1.jpg

fc5.jpg

i have some bars that you could do that too :hmm3grin2orange:

i have an a almost new ms 361 with 20 in bar & extra chain which i
don't need. may be out of your price range. $450. call me if
interested. 903 529 2606

rex iam 60 miles se of waco. a long way from anywhere.

There's your saw, James. Call him quick before I do. :)

Sorry to hear your place got scorched in the fires. I live in Arlington and we had smoke here even though we are a long way from the trouble.

Those large post oaks just might come back.....

Came across a used Husqvarna 357xp locally. Owner has no idea what compression is. What should I look for to make sure it's not junk?

make sure it feels like it has good compression, pull the muffler if he will let you and look at the cylinder and piston, bring your own compression gauge and check it if he will let you. run the saw and see if it runs like it should, idles good, doesnt smoke too much, has good throttle response.

Came across a used Husqvarna 357xp locally. Owner has no idea what compression is. What should I look for to make sure it's not junk?

i think anything under 140psi (cold) is on its way out. how long until its done is another question. when you run the saw, tip it on it each side and let it run. listen for changes in rpms. i think the consensus here is that bw a used 357 and a used 361, the 361 is the choice for most.
definitely pull the muffler and look for scoring on the piston and rings.

Back