Heck of a thing happened to me today!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from a crimimal standpoint you probably don't have anything to worry about. however, from a civil standpoint you would be suprised how easy it is to win a judgement against someone. you only need to prove that a proponderence of the evidence supports you claim. if he finds the right lawyer, you could easily be shown to have caused damage to him. you admitted that you walked up and slugged him. the fact that he stole your property will not be a mitigating factor bc you did not react out threat from him.

I agree.
You should go back and put a Bullet In His Friggen Head.

from a crimimal standpoint you probably don't have anything to worry about. however, from a civil standpoint you would be suprised how easy it is to win a judgement against someone. you only need to prove that a proponderence of the evidence supports you claim. if he finds the right lawyer, you could easily be shown to have caused damage to him. you admitted that you walked up and slugged him. the fact that he stole your property will not be a mitigating factor bc you did not react out threat from him.

Trust me it doesn't work like that. Just stay away from the guy. This guy can't afford an attorney and no attorney in his right mind would take this case on contingency. If you had been working for a company or there was some way to go after someone with deep pockets you may get a starving attorney to do something.However, this is not the case in this situation. Do not call the Police unless you need to get charges placed against this guy. I wouldn't recommend that. You did your job and got your saw back so let it go and don't worry.

DO NOT CALL THE COPS !!!

they dont care about justice,an easy "bust" for them makes thier day..
you may be setting yourself up for thier easy one by even letting them know you were involved in anything.
had it happen to me one time.called the cops,they knew i was there,other guy had a witness,i went to jail :(

DO NOT CALL THE COPS !!!

they dont care about justice,an easy "bust" for them makes thier day..
you may be setting yourself up for thier easy one by even letting them know you were involved in anything.
had it happen to me one time.called the cops,they knew i was there,other guy had a witness,i went to jail :(

You are correct but not necessarily for the reason stated. You are right that this may open up a big can of worms. But your analysis of not caring about justice and looking for an easy bust are intellectually lazy. He said, she said issues are always a pain in the bottom and just lands everyone in court for an unnecessary hearing.

You are correct but not necessarily for the reason stated. You are right that this may open up a big can of worms. But your analysis of not caring about justice and looking for an easy bust are intellectually lazy. He said, she said issues are always a pain in the bottom and just lands everyone in court for an unnecessary hearing.

Enjoy living in your little utopia where everything is as it should be..
( bad cop,no donut ! )

I cannot see what you would gain by filing a police report. Leave it alone unless the dirtbag comes around again.

Trust me it doesn't work like that.

i have enough attornies in my immediate family to know better, but you just keep thinking that

no attorney in his right mind would take this case on contingency.

my family not withstanding, this statement is an oxymoron!!!

If you had been working for a company or there was some way to go after someone with deep pockets you may get a starving attorney to do something.

if a civil damages attorney gets a sniff of assets they can attach, a suit is just a few clicks away. they know that one way or the other they can almost guarantee a few bucks. a settlement might be the most likely outcome and requires the least effort.

However, this is not the case in this situation. Do not call the Police unless you need to get charges placed against this guy. I wouldn't recommend that. You did your job and got your saw back so let it go and don't worry.

xxxxxxxxxx

It should be a god given right to smash over anyone that steals from you without any consequences from the law. I had my step brother working for me on a farm I was running a while back he stole from me a couple of things(my guitar and effects processor) and I told him to leave and he had until the end of the day. When I asked him to leave again he got agressive and set his dog onto me that I was unaware he had bought back onto the farm after I had told him to keep the savage thing off the farm, So the 6.5x55 came out and the dog lost its head and he got warned that he would be getting a beating that he will never forget if he was not gone by time I got home from work well he was gone within the hour last I heard of him he got in trouble with the law and after he stole from me he stole money off another family member, To make it worse he was stealing to feed his meth habit that I was not aware of at the time as I only thought that he was a hophead until my stepson told me he saw him smoking meth and that he got told not to tell or else took him months to come clean and tell me what he witnessed my step brother doing.

You guys really think I should delete the thread? I know this guy has no idea about this site, and I don't even know anyone else around here thats on the forum either. I know this rant is making me feel better so I hate to get rid of it yet. :clap:

But if y'all think I really need too.

you thru the first punch right or wrong, you are liable for battery,yes it sucks but thank the lawyers for that crap.this thread in the eyes of the law is an admition of guilt.

again............

don't call the cops.they just want to get there,pin it on someone,and get back placing toss the donut behind the station.

we need to go back to the days of a few locals handling the problem late in the evening.

leave the cops and lawyers out of your business.

not sure what your state is like but here the criminals have all the rights and the victims have none.

I can't say you did the wrong thing in that situation, but probably not what I'd have done.

Sometimes it takes a whole lot of talking to beat keeping quiet.

Stealing is bad enough to begin with, but stealing from your friends? That's horrible. Does he have a drug problem?

And I'd say you did the right thing. Probably fall under the heat of passion defense anyway. :cheers:

I may fall into the same trap as the OP, but I can't imagine any of my friends stealing anything from me. About 15 years ago I was dating a gal from Texas, we had taken a trip on the river in the canoe and were coming home in my old truck. When we got home she said "where's your van"? I said "oh one of my buddies must have needed to borrow it". She was worried for about an hour when I got a phone call from one of my friends saying hey man a bunch of us are at the steak house, we tried to find ya and couldn't so we all piled in your van and headed up here, come on and join us, we'll buy ya both a dinner for use of the van. That's the way it is here, friends loan things to each other whether they know it or not sometimes.

In your case this guy must have been a combination of desperate and dumb. To steal from a friend is bad enough, but to sell it to one of his (the op's) friends is beyond stupid. This would come out sooner or later. Just a thought, you might as the other friend (potential buyer) if he ever bought a Case knife from the thief a while back. Wouldn't surprise me if the thief went back to the honey hole a couple of times. Like I said just a thought.

My first instinct would be that the dumb azz brought a chainsaw to a gun fight. JR

My opinion is: if your "buddy" was dumb enough to STEAL your chainsaw, get duffed in the jaw (which he should have taken like a man for being a dumba$$) and then has the sack to call the cops to explain his side (which he wont), I'll go down to VA and duff him again! I see no harm in venting your frustration here. :cheers:

+1 :agree2:

"Trust me it doesn't work like that.

i have enough attornies in my immediate family to know better, but you just keep thinking that
no attorney in his right mind would take this case on contingency.

my family not withstanding, this statement is an oxymoron!!!
If you had been working for a company or there was some way to go after someone with deep pockets you may get a starving attorney to do something.

if a civil damages attorney gets a sniff of assets they can attach, a suit is just a few clicks away. they know that one way or the other they can almost guarantee a few bucks. a settlement might be the most likely outcome and requires the least effort.
However, this is not the case in this situation. Do not call the Police unless you need to get charges placed against this guy. I wouldn't recommend that. You did your job and got your saw back so let it go and don't worry."

nmurph, I guess we'll just have to disagree. I suggest you ask the attorneys in your family if they would take a case like this. I am not an attorney, and I do see the liability in this. My point and experience is that it would not be "profitable" for a firm to take a case like this on contingency. While I understand the definition of the phrase I'm not sure I understand the point you make labeling my opinion an "oxymoron". Anthony Va might consider getting an umbrella insurance policy that would cover this type of thing if he has any appreciable assets to protect.

Last edited:
I broke a guys leg in a bar one night to stop him from beating up on a girl. Cop friend told me to go tell what happened to the prosecutor before the other guy could get in there to press charges. I did. The prosecutor checked out my story. Found out what happened. Guy with broken leg gets out of hospital goes to prosecutor to press charges. Gets told to go fly a kite. Next time I see prosecutor in local bar eating dinner he buys me a beer. True story I swear.

Happened 30 years ago though.....times have changed a bit ...I would have to know a bunch about your local cops and prosecutor before I could advise you on that part. So would everyone else.

Well ................ you also had plenty of legal standing for the action you took.

NOTE (to the user who posted about a junkie/drug dealer):
Not too long ago I came across a case where a drug dealer contacted a cop on the beat, wanting to report another drug dealer for theft and intrusion on private property. (Yes, he did state that there was marijuana that was stolen, LOL.)

I would be the user that posted it and yes I know that there is some major DUMD AZZ'S out there.

Outside the gun forums I frequent, I thought this was a manly place to post. You people that post such comments showing you are afraid of lawyers, prosecutors, never-do-wells, (and on some other posts) your wife should grow a pair!
Stop even thinking that way. That is exactly what allows fear mongering to even have a platform. Why would this thought even have a germ of an idea in your heads? You shiver, hide in the corner and point your finger at a real man and say "OH please don't do that you may get in trouble". Cowboy up, man up or whatever and quit hiding behind skirts!
I was in the Army and this man can share a foxhole with me anytime. Do you think the two theives would be a better choice? I know maybe a lawyer, politician, or for some of you, your wife. Cowards play right into the hands of those that oppress. Mike

Outside the gun forums I frequent, I thought this was a manly place to post. You people that post such comments showing you are afraid of lawyers, prosecutors, never-do-wells, (and on some other posts) your wife should grow a pair!
Stop even thinking that way. That is exactly what allows fear mongering to even have a platform. Why would this thought even have a germ of an idea in your heads? You shiver, hide in the corner and point your finger at a real man and say "OH please don't do that you may get in trouble". Cowboy up, man up or whatever and quit hiding behind skirts!
I was in the Army and this man can share a foxhole with me anytime. Do you think the two theives would be a better choice? I know maybe a lawyer, politician, or for some of you, your wife. Cowards play right into the hands of those that oppress. Mike

I like the way you think.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back