Helicopter transplanting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure it would depend on the size of the tree. Choppers generally run a few hundred bucks per hour, for the medium sized ones. A Skycrane would be more, I'm sure.

beech trees and grade changes

I thought it was common knowledge that beech trees don't respond well to grade changes.They require different rates of fertilization than other trees.I think the person who decided on trying and move the the beech should be questioned.He basiclly sentenced this tree to its early demise

keith

millbilly said:
I thought it was common knowledge that beech trees don't respond well to grade changes.
You can transplant beech trees, and it didn't appear to me in the pictures that there was a grade change. There are a lot of things that can go wrong when moving and transplanting large trees, and they may have said soil incompatibility as a cop-out. If it was, they should have prepped it differently. Either way, they messed up. But I'm confident if they had done their homework and the necessary preparation and were concientious in moving the tree, it should have survived. No doubt.

A quote from the article
"First and foremost, a 1½-inch case-hardened low-carbon steel pin was inserted through the trunk approximately 4-5 ft above ground. The pin, which extended 6-8 inches on both sides, was wrapped with burlap to protect the cambium and the openings"

How would oring such a hole through the trunk of a tree to lift it by affect the tree? I can't imagine it would be good for it...

Did anyone else read this:

"Update:
The beech was removed in July 2000 after a significant portion had died. The cause was diagnosed as soil incompatibility and drainage problems. A much
smaller replacement was planted by traditional
means on December 7, 2000"

Seems like a lot of money to spend to transplant only to have the tree die soon afterwards....

Latest posts

Back