Help a noob run a ms361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll read the manual in full and I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm a software developer, I learn everything about new technologies strictly from documentation. I'm not THAT much of a noob that I need to have someone *show* me how to run it. Just because I don't know the technical terms (compression release valve, drive links, etc) doesn't mean I can't figure it out myself. I figured out a lot about how to run it today just by myself in a short manner of time. It's not like I trashed the saw or anything..

Anyways, thanks for the advice and links to the documentation. I'll read it in full and I'll be fine.

EDIT: Thanks joat, always good to have a hard copy :D Also, the saw was in absolutely great condition. A shout of thanks out to joat for working with me on the saw :cheers:

You're a software developer... so that makes you, like, wicked smart, right? Well, be smart enough to read into some of these posts and understand what they are really trying to say - which is that you should perhaps find someone that can help walk you through some of the steps of safe and proper operation of a powerful and useful - but dangerous - tool. It appears that you have very limited experience operating a chainsaw. An experienced dealer or another user (found perhaps through a post on this site) might be able to get you on the right track in very short order if you made some effort to establish contact. And, no, you can't learn it from the manual.

Most experienced users on this site were probably fortunate enough to learn much of the basics from a father, uncle, brother, boss, etc. - you get the point. Others perhaps learned on their own but I bet you no one here would claim they wouldn't have learned a lot quicker if they'd been taught by someone who knew what they were doing.

Safety is king. You also want to learn how to run and maintain that saw so it serves you well for many, many years. Most on this site are more than willing to help, as you are finding.

MarkG

I'll read the manual in full and I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm a software developer, I learn everything about new technologies strictly from documentation. I'm not THAT much of a noob that I need to have someone *show* me how to run it. Just because I don't know the technical terms (compression release valve, drive links, etc) doesn't mean I can't figure it out myself. I figured out a lot about how to run it today just by myself in a short manner of time. It's not like I trashed the saw or anything..

Anyways, thanks for the advice and links to the documentation. I'll read it in full and I'll be fine.

EDIT: Thanks joat, always good to have a hard copy :D Also, the saw was in absolutely great condition. A shout of thanks out to joat for working with me on the saw :cheers:

Read both the above documents, and remember to hold the bar tip up when adjusting and tightening the bar nuts - and you will be fine!

"No sag - no drag" is a good rule to follow!

...'cuz if you don't wear all the right PPE... you will explode. :)

Gary

LOL, Very possible.

Another tip on tightening your chain, is you don't want it super tight like Gary said, but try getting the back nut snug first, then the front one while holding the end of the bar nose, then when they are pretty close, finish tightening them by dropping the nose of your bar on a stump and let the weight of the saw hold the bar up the rest of the way.

You're a software developer... so that makes you, like, wicked smart, right?

I believe I am a very intelligent young man, yes. I'm not trying to say I'm smarter than anyone here or trying to be condescending. Does it offend you that I stated my job and that I'm familiar with and prefer reading documentation? If so, I apologize.

you should perhaps find someone that can help walk you through some of the steps of safe and proper operation of a powerful and useful - but dangerous - tool. It appears that you have very limited experience operating a chainsaw.

My dad and I cut a fair amount when I was growing up. We burned firewood over winters to save money. Am I a pro? No. But I've seen my dad do some things that weren't the safest to know that my best search of information isn't with him - I can find higher quality of information online.

... or another user (found perhaps through a post on this site) might be able to get you on the right track in very short order if you made some effort to establish contact.

That's exactly what this post is. An attempt to establish contact with experienced users. If I go to a shop they can show me how to start the saw and give me tips to maintain it. I can find the same info in a manual.

And, no, you can't learn it from the manual.

See above, and also I've found quite a lot of information from online sources / manuals, actually. I would have to respectfully disagree.

... but I bet you no one here would claim they wouldn't have learned a lot quicker if they'd been taught by someone who knew what they were doing.

Learning from another human is always faster. I don't believe a dealer can help me much and quite honestly I doubt anyone else on this site lives in my area, thus I think I am limited here.

Safety is king. You also want to learn how to run and maintain that saw so it serves you well for many, many years. Most on this site are more than willing to help, as you are finding.

MarkG

I completely agree. However I feel the tone can sometimes be disrespectful towards people who are very new. AKA when you were giving me the lip in the beginning of your post about how I think I'm smarter than everyone else or something. And again if that's the vibe you got, it wasn't my intention so I apologize.

As I was stating above (or trying to) is that there is no silver bullet to learning. Learning from someone else isn't the "best" but it has it's pros. Reading manuals/online documentation isn't the best but it has it's pros. I am trying to do a mix of everything in my power.

LOL, Very possible.

Another tip on tightening your chain, is you don't want it super tight like Gary said, but try getting the back nut snug first, then the front one while holding the end of the bar nose, then when they are pretty close, finish tightening them by dropping the nose of your bar on a stump and let the weight of the saw hold the bar up the rest of the way.

I found this good advice and will do so.

WB3780... don't waste your time "explainin' yourself" to guys on here. You don't have to... just be safe and take your time. You'll be fine...

Gary

Noted.

Actually I'd love that for a change. Would be a nice change of pace to office life. Most people can't stop arguing in meetings some days the most mundane details. It can become a good exercise in maintaining good relationships and not rubbing people the wrong way - not playing suck up, but just making sure you don't offend others.

I also think I will be alright as long as i take my time and don't become careless, or wreckless. Thanks for the vote of confidence :D Now I really need to get back to work ;)

LOL, Very possible.

Or just put the saw upside down when tightening them - rear nut first is important, as you said.....

Noted.

Actually I'd love that for a change. Would be a nice change of pace to office life. Most people can't stop arguing in meetings some days the most mundane details. It can become a good exercise in maintaining good relationships and not rubbing people the wrong way - not playing suck up, but just making sure you don't offend others.

I also think I will be alright as long as i take my time and don't become careless, or wreckless. Thanks for the vote of confidence :D Now I really need to get back to work ;)

You will get a lot of "advice" on here... A lot of guys worry about 1/2 a pound of weight, and muffler modding a 50cc saw, and then there are the PPE Nazi's that will grill you if you post a picture of yourself makin' a couple of cuts with out a full suit of chain mail on...

Just take it all with a grain of salt, and choose what you want to take for advice. there is a lot of good info here... you just gotta wade through some BS to get to it sometimes... :)

Gary

You will get a lot of "advice" on here... A lot of guys worry about 1/2 a pound of weight, and muffler modding a 50cc saw, and then there are the PPE Nazi's that will grill you if you post a picture of yourself makin' a couple of cuts with out a full suit of chain mail on...

Just take it all with a grain of salt, and choose what you want to take for advice. there is a lot of good info here... you just gotta wade through some BS to get to it sometimes... :)

Gary

This really should be the exact phrasing of the welcome PM when a new member signs up. Purely classic! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Russ,

You're doing fine. You can always call me if you have a question.

Usually, a newbee thread is "Which saw should I buy?". That has all the "pros" on here saying that you NEED a pro saw unless your an ignorant, in-breed, cheap homeowner. They also will explain how regret, angst and mis-fortune will follow you all the days of you and your little, cheap homeowner saw's life.

Since you elected to get a "pro" saw right away, the "safety first" crowd swung into action.

Now, Russ already had the proper PPE on order before the saw arrived on his door step. He seems cautious, inquisitive and eager to learn.

Best wishes,

Joat

"I completely agree. However I feel the tone can sometimes be disrespectful towards people who are very new. AKA when you were giving me the lip in the beginning of your post about how I think I'm smarter than everyone else or something."

I didn't mean to be disrespectful at all. I was trying to point you in the right direction. Maybe I seemed short with ya'....didn't mean to. Sounds like you're on your way. Good luck with the 361. It's a great firewood saw. WDO

Gary

Dang Gary,

Now you've gone and done it. You've given medical advice for a man you've never seen in your office. Next you'll be tellin' him what oil and mix ratio to run. :dizzy:

Often shaken, but never stirred,

Joat

I didn't mean to be disrespectful at all. I was trying to point you in the right direction. Maybe I seemed short with ya'....didn't mean to. Sounds like you're on your way. Good luck with the 361. It's a great firewood saw. WDO

None was taken. I was solely addressing yukiginger. I took no offense to anything else said. "Read the manual" is fantastic advice and has common meaning in technical circles too. If you ever want to learn about linux and post a question about a tool where the answer is in the manual page - all you will get for a response out of most people is:

rtfm, which stands for Read The _____'n Manual. I was actually a little embarrassed that I didn't think to check the site first off to tell you the truth.

:greenchainsaw:

I hope its ok for me to ask but, what did you pay for that saw?

Latest posts

Back