Help choosing the right chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brand preference?

• Stihl

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Husqvarna

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Remington

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

topguntravis

Reaction score
Hi all,

Would love some feedback in assisting my research to finding the right chainsaw for my needs.

It's primary uses will be out in the forest, for basics like cutting up firewood and fallen trees, etc, and I will also be using it alot for basic bush building whether it be making a few campfire benches to the possibility of creating an alaskan mill and ripping some small to medium live edge slabs.

I am a carpenter and am good with tools and machinery and have some chainsaw experience, lately using my mates Remington RM4620 Outlaw 20". It seems to be of a calibre roughly what I'm looking for but am leaning towards a Stihl or Husqvarna. Perhaps a Stihl MS271 or Husqvarna 445.

Not looking to break the budget as it's more of a creative hobby i'm further getting into with the benefits of being a handy camping tool. So $500 would be the limit (looking at a new or near new purchase).

Any recommendations or directions as to what range to look into would help!

Thanks

60 cc stihl for firewood 036 360 361 and a 660 for milling

A 50cc saw would do for firewood, say a 550xp or 261 with an 18" bar and a 441/372xp for some light milling. What ever you do don't waste your money on a home owner or rancher type saw. You'll regret that you didn't wait and spend a small bit extra on a pro saw.

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

Have you got any good dealership in your area? Personally I'd lean toward that regardless of brand.
Support deserving local businesses and have ready access to parts and service.

That Remington looks like a rebranded no-name saw to me. It would not be my first pick if choosing something to keep long term as spare parts may be hard or even impossible to obtain and chances are it's really hard to work on as well.

Please cross the Remington off your list of saws to consider. At the very best they have a reputation of have really poor oiling systems. That is about the nicest thing I have heard about them.

I believe they are a close relative to the MTD TroyBilt saws, and I haven't found many people that are a fan of those saws.

I know a fellow who mills small stuff with a Husky 455 Rancher. Maxes out a 20" bar in a mill (so more like a 16" cut) It can be done but I would rather it be with a 70cc + size saw.

I’d look for a second hand 346xp in good order although it wouldn’t be big enough for milling, only the firewood and bucking

Thanks for the feedback guys. Remington was never on my list as my mate has a hard time finding parts/service. I had a feeling I'm trying to go for 1 saw to multitask when the reality is I need one for each purpose. Thinking something around the 50-60hp. Will go get a feel for them at the dealers.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Remington was never on my list as my mate has a hard time finding parts/service. I had a feeling I'm trying to go for 1 saw to multitask when the reality is I need one for each purpose. Thinking something around the 50-60hp. Will go get a feel for them at the dealers.
:surprised3: Dang, you get a 50-60hp saw :chainsaw:I want to see video of it cutting, should be impressive!:innocent:

I would take the stihl 271 over the husky 445. I have a 450 and it's a great saw but a 445 might be light for an everything saw. The echo 590 seems like the best saw for the money but I don't own one. I know it has a great reputation. Good saw and won't break the bank. 50 to 60 hp may be hard to find. That might break the chain.

I have had a 545 for about four years now, it is a well built saw and a good runner 16-18” bars are great for it, very smooth and nimble, if you have a good Husqvarna dealer it wouldn’t be a bad choice.

MS 271 is the strongest homeowners version of Stihl that I've used and burnt two into the ground before stepping up to a comparable size and a bit more money, MS 261. I have three of them right now. Mid range professional grade saw that I would go into battle with. Maybe not big enough to mill with but I've yet found a situation it can't handle. I run a 16" bar but you can get them with 18 and I think up to 20?

Latest posts

Back