Help felling tall small diameter Hickory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NapalmDeath

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Need advice on felling a approximately 70-80' tall 8-10" diameter Hickory with a slight back lean. The lowest limb looks to be too high to reach throwing a rope around it to possibly pull it in the direction I need it to fall. I don't have any experience using wedges on small diameter trees like this. Is it even possible to use wedges on small diameter trees? What would be my best course to take on this?

Yes it is possible to use wedges. You have your quarter cut, the stack wedges in slots cut, the tongue and groove cut, the stack wedges in slots with no face cut cut. Really though just get up an extension ladder and put a rope on it.

Yes it is possible to use wedges. You have your quarter cut, the stack wedges in slots cut, the tongue and groove cut, the stack wedges in slots with no face cut cut. Really though just get up an extension ladder and put a rope on it.

No, No, the ladder is what killed the last guy, use the throwball.
Now lets see is I got this right: stack wedges, quarter cut, put tongue in groove? I must not be doing it right I keep getting smacked.

Last edited:
No, No, the ladder is what killed the last guy, use the throwball.
Now lets see is I got this right: stack wedges, quarter cut, put tongue in groove? I must not be doing it right I keep getting smacked.

Oh that's right, I forgot, people don't know how to climb ladders anymore. Wait till he takes the throwball to the teeth, then we'll see.

For one time jobs, you can easily make your own throwing weight with some fishing line and any sort of weight you choose to toss into the tree.

Save some money, buy a couple hundred feet of 30# test monofilament, tie it to a 12 oz weight of some sort (big bolts work fairly well), and try that out. Throw away the tangled mess you make pulling the rope over the branch.

I hung some halloween ornaments recently in the front yard with a ball of cotton string and a 7/8th in. nut. But I was only going 12'-15' in the air.

It was only $15 so I went ahead and ordered the Weaver line & bag combo. I figured it probably won't be the last time I'll need to put a line on a tree. First time in the few short years I have been felling trees for firewood I have needed to do this. Now, the next question that comes to mind is what kind of rope to use. I'll be borrowing a friends rigging rope this time as I priced out 150' of rope at a few places including Baileys and that stuff is more expensive then I thought. For pulling trees using human power and no come-alongs can I get away with using 100-150' of regular rope from the hardware store or should I get the good stuff?

Get one of these:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=21700&catID=

and 150ft. of three strand rope.

Then learn to tie a running bowline.

Is there a particular reason to choose a running bowline over a figure eight on a bight?

Everyone I climb with (rock) and sail with uses figure eights instead because the bowline can come undone when it's not loaded and the figure eight generally has fewer sharp bends and retains more rope strength. In the link below, the bowline retains only 63% of the breaking strenth of the rope where a figure eight on a bight retains 77.5%.

http://www.caves.org/section/vertical/nh/50/knotrope.html

Would it be easier for my application to purchase a rope with a eye splice on the end so I don't have to bother with the knot.

A running bowline allows you to catch the rope on the other side of the tree without going clear to the end of the rope to pull it through. If you're dealing with a long bull rope the RB is a lot faster. I don't think a figure eight on a bight can be tied that way, can it? You would have to put the free end of the rope throught the loop after it's tied, right?

A running bowline allows you to catch the rope on the other side of the tree without going clear to the end of the rope to pull it through. If you're dealing with a long bull rope the RB is a lot faster. I don't think a figure eight on a bight can be tied that way, can it? You would have to put the free end of the rope throught the loop after it's tied, right?

Nope... you can do the same with a figure eight... called a figure eight follow-through.

Latest posts

Back