Help ID'ing yellow wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now THAT is a confounding statement. Both Locust AND Mulberry will be pretty dense after seasoning. I've never had locust be light like that... all other things aside, I'll still say locust.

It's not mulberry because it's still yellow AFTER it's been sitting split.

Also, the mulberry has a white/lighter color at the sapwood/cambium region. long after splitting/seasoning.

Or is it fresh splits that we're seeing?

no, this stuff is pretty dry, promise. it is very light however, and the grain is fine, not coarse like the locust in the above pics. i burned some last night again and it didn't crackle at all.
weird stuff, it almost looks dyed, or maybe just a sickly yellow.

no, this stuff is pretty dry, promise. it is very light however, and the grain is fine, not coarse like the locust in the above pics. i burned some last night again and it didn't crackle at all.
weird stuff, it almost looks dyed, or maybe just a sickly yellow.

Dan, I believe what you have is VERY dry Mulberry; the yellow coloring and the bark look consistent of what we have here in PA. And the picture that you posted with the bark on it has very dry ends where there is no bark. I believe that it is so dry that it doesn't have moisture pockets inside which is what makes it go "pop and pow".

Only read the 1st response of POPLAR. Sorry but I had to laugh. Poplar has bark smooth like a baby's arse. Don't climb it with a climbing treestand if you hunt.

That thar is Locust (Black as opposed to Honey that has the thorns). Throws the heat, notorious sparker, and a dense wood. Grat burner.

34zj1vn.jpg

Gotta say Locust too, ive been burning it all winter. Great heat and lasts, which reminds me im almost out

Latest posts

Back