Help ID'ing yellow wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingus Dan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I really enjoy burning this wood, honestly getting tired of red oak, even at 1.5 years it still hisses at me!
Ash?
Has pretty clear diamond shaped bark, but very yellow looking. Splits very well, extremely dry and has no scent. Red oak included for contrast.
Thanks for the help!
View attachment 125146

View attachment 125147

Looks alot like the black locust I cut today. Did you cut the trees yourself, did it have little black seed pods and thorns on the upper branches?

Definitly locus, I'm pretty pissed at myself I got rid of 10 good locusts this summer cause I thought it wouldn't burn good. Had an accidental piece in the wood pile, thru it in the stove and it burned great. Not throwing that away ever again

I'm thinkin elm. But I could be wrong.

The piece in the middle of the first pic has the yellow look that I see often in elm.
Bark seems to have the criss cross pattern that I see as well but isn't quite as flattened as I'm used to.

My vote is black locust. If it has been outside much after it was split, mulberry will turn a dark reddish brown color. The bark looks awefully heavy for mulberry.

Don

Latest posts

Back