Help me decide - new 346XP or PS5100?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine came from the dealer with 3/8, don't what you're talking about, let me rephrase that, you don't know what you're talking about...:monkey:

Scott

Ok speedy you said you could change the rim in only 10 seconds longer on the outboard clutch. You know and I know your talking out your azz but to give you the bennifit of the doubt here you go. You show me you can do it in 1 minute 55 seconds. I'll await your vid, the one I know is never gonna happen but fun just the same,hehehe

I guess this is a Holiday lecture......

Well, just for laughs, I figured I'd check this thread and see if it had degenerated into the usual childish bickering. I figured that the answer was probably going to be yes considering how quickly the posts were accumulating. Sure enough, most of the same clowns are here slinging the same insults about their favorite saw being better than the other guys favorite saw. This thread is almost identical to one that went on for page after page a few weeks ago. Except that now it seems guys are running out of material for just dumping on the brand or the model in question, so we are now carping about individual components, making fun of the other guys clutch, or the choke control, or flippy caps or whatever. It's really comical, but truthfully most of you guys are really just a bunch of babies. I've talked with many of you about this stuff, and most agree that this type of dialog is useless, but I get a lot of, "Yeah, but HE started it" answers. There is some validity to that because a lot of people will naturally defend their turf, even if they are not inclined to initiate a scrap. But, I mean come on. I'm pretty sure MOST of you are actually adults, not a bunch of 10 year olds.

Yeah, I have my favorite brands, but most who know me know that I have respect for other brands and the guys who use them. It would be fair to say that we spend all of this time on this site because we share an interest in saws in general, rather than particular brands. The brand nonsense just gets in the way of all that. I've made a load of good friends here on the site; some share my interest in the Huskies/Jonnys, and others run Stihl, Dolmar, whatever. Doesn't really matter, and I'm not going to participate in lining up with or against guys based on what brand saw they prefer. But a lot of you guys have allowed that to happen to yourselves. Trade barbs with a guy long enough, and then all of a sudden he's a jerk, he's "one of them".

I might be over reacting to what is essentially an internet phenom, where guys get to be arrogant and stupid from the safety of their keyboards. Because, at any GTG I've been to, brand bashing is totally non-existant, and if anyone carried on the way they do on threads such as this, he would clearly be an outcast among the group.

But never the less, this endless brand nonsense is a downward drag on the overall quality of the dialog here. Newcomers to the site aren't going to be impressed enough to hang around, let alone listen to any of the advice. I don't expect it to stop, because I think some of you actually enjoy it. But why don't you hardcore brand bashers form yourselves your very own social group, dysfunctional though it may be, where you can nitpick not just about who makes the best saw, but about who ships the saw in a nicer box, which company headquarters has the nicer shrubbery, and other unimportant details to which you can devote endless hours to meaningless arguments. The main forum is better off without it.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Well, just for laughs, I figured I'd check this thread and see if it had degenerated into the usual childish bickering. I figured that the answer was probably going to be yes considering how quickly the posts were accumulating. Sure enough, most of the same clowns are here slinging the same insults about their favorite saw being better than the other guys favorite saw. This thread is almost identical to one that went on for page after page a few weeks ago. Except that now it seems guys are running out of material for just dumping on the brand or the model in question, so we are now carping about individual components, making fun of the other guys clutch, or the choke control, or flippy caps or whatever. It's really comical, but truthfully most of you guys are really just a bunch of babies. I've talked with many of you about this stuff, and most agree that this type of dialog is useless, but I get a lot of, "Yeah, but HE started it" answers. There is some validity to that because a lot of people will naturally defend their turf, even if they are not inclined to initiate a scrap. But, I mean come on. I'm pretty sure MOST of you are actually adults, not a bunch of 10 year olds.

Yeah, I have my favorite brands, but most who know me know that I have respect for other brands and the guys who use them. It would be fair to say that we spend all of this time on this site because we share an interest in saws in general, rather than particular brands. The brand nonsense just gets in the way of all that. I've made a load of good friends here on the site; some share my interest in the Huskies/Jonnys, and others run Stihl, Dolmar, whatever. Doesn't really matter, and I'm not going to participate in lining up with or against guys based on what brand saw they prefer. But a lot of you guys have allowed that to happen to yourselves. Trade barbs with a guy long enough, and then all of a sudden he's a jerk, he's "one of them".

I might be over reacting to what is essentially an internet phenom, where guys get to be arrogant and stupid from the safety of their keyboards. Because, at any GTG I've been to, brand bashing is totally non-existant, and if anyone carried on the way they do on threads such as this, he would clearly be an outcast among the group.

But never the less, this endless brand nonsense is a downward drag on the overall quality of the dialog here. Newcomers to the site aren't going to be impressed enough to hang around, let alone listen to any of the advice. I don't expect it to stop, because I think some of you actually enjoy it. But why don't you hardcore brand bashers form yourselves your very own social group, dysfunctional though it may be, where you can nitpick not just about who makes the best saw, but about who ships the saw in a nicer box, which company headquarters has the nicer shrubbery, and other unimportant details to which you can devote endless hours to meaningless arguments. The main forum is better off without it.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:[/QUOTE

Good post Spike. These saws have been a subject of great debate so long I kinda sit back and grin. I've yet to see a tree holler hey man you got the wrong saw.

I do wanna see speedy change that rim though, :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Excellent post again Spike!! "nicer shrubbery"....are you one of the Knight's that formerly said Nee??? :laugh:

:cheers:
Mike

New math perhaps? :confused: You're really missing the point, it's all about the torque for bucking, the main concern for 50cc high speed limbing saws...:cheers:

Scott

My post was about a blatant lie in the spec sheet of the 5100S, and it has been going on for years..........:censored:
I agree that it isn't a main issue though.

The "point" of low end torque on a 50cc saw is totally uninteresting to me, cutting large wood is not what those saws are made for.

Anyway, the added "grunt" of the 5100S is AS mythology to me so far- I have never seen any real proof posted (still waiting).

What I do care about is that my 346xp is a much more useful saw to me than my 5100S, because of the way it handles - and it even cuts faster with 16" bars, different rim sizes, and the same bar and chain on both (actually surprised me a bit). I don't care about small differences in cutting speed anyway.....

Mine are both bone stock, minus the spark screen - and well run in.

Last edited:
Well, just for laughs, I figured I'd check this thread and see if it had degenerated into the usual childish bickering. I figured that the answer was probably going to be yes considering how ........the nicer shrubbery, and other unimportant details to which you can devote endless hours to meaningless arguments. The main forum is better off without it.

Excellent post!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Thank you!

Sage wisdom, well said, hopefully "they" will take your advise...:hmm3grin2orange:

Scott

My post was about a blatant lie in the spec sheet, and it has been going on for years..........I don't care about small differences in cutting speed anyway.....

The main problem here anyway. Big boys afraid that there product might be considered inferior to the other. You loose more time stacking&handling the wood than any stupid second gain or loose in the cut can be of importance.

Hey where do you live anyway? I'm in Columbia City, west of Ft wayne. Did you say that you are fairly close?

Scott

Outside a small town called Helmer, North of Auburn about 15 minutes, I lived off of 109 by one of the lakes there in Columbia City long ago:cheers:

The main problem here anyway. Big boys afraid that there product might be considered inferior to the other. You loose more time stacking&handling the wood than any stupid second gain or loose in the cut can be of importance.

Not me I don't care what I run as long as it's affordable and good quality. I like chainsaws, any shape forum or color. I like Husky and Stihl but right now I have a couple Dolmars that I feel fit that bill really well:cheers:

:agree2: ....exactly, but cutting is more fun when the tool feels like the right one!

Well, just for laughs, I figured I'd check this thread and see if it had degenerated into the usual childish bickering. Sure enough, most of the same clowns are here......

Well, I see you've joined in, once again. :jester: :laugh:

Not me I don't care what I run as long as it's affordable and good quality. I like chainsaws, any shape forum or color. I like Husky and Stihl but right now I have a couple Dolmars that I feel fit that bill really well:cheers:

:agree2::agree2::agree2::agree2::agree2:

in this case i think the 346 has a slight edge in a couple of areas. the 5100 has an advantage in at least one. either is a very nice saw and will handle firewood duties.

Someone please explain what is the difference between an inboard and outboard clutch? THanks. :confused:

Hey dont take it personal most of these guys forget once they didnt know it all either a question is a question imo and yours does apply to this thread.

Its the position of the clutch and gear that drives the chain, an inboard clutch has the gear on the outside (which some feel is easier to use it does have some advantages read up) and visa versa confused yet? Hope not :)

Kansas

Well, just for laughs, I figured I'd check this thread and see if it had degenerated into the usual childish bickering. I figured that the answer was probably going to be yes considering how quickly the posts were accumulating. Sure enough, most of the same clowns are here slinging the same insults about their favorite saw being better than the other guys favorite saw. This thread is almost identical to one that went on for page after page a few weeks ago. Except that now it seems guys are running out of material for just dumping on the brand or the model in question, so we are now carping about individual components, making fun of the other guys clutch, or the choke control, or flippy caps or whatever. It's really comical, but truthfully most of you guys are re................., "Yeah, but HE started it" answers. There is some validity to that because a lot of people will naturally defend their turf, even if they are not inclined to initiate a scrap. But, I mean come on. I'm pretty sure MOST of you are actually adults, not a bunch of 10 year olds.

Dont like it,dont read it,nobody forcing you to.
Dont approve,ignore it..
you just "had" to check out the thread to see if it went downhill and you'r "not" surprissed that it did..SO,you knew it was going there and just wanted to tell people how imature they are ??
where the "construcive" critisism ?? wheres the "meaningfull" suggestions ??
where is ANYTHING fruitfull in your post ?
IS THAT IT MAN ??? get into something just to knock others ??
now "THATS" what "I" call imature !!
guess i'm preaching what i'm not practising also !

Latest posts

Back