Help me decide - new 346XP or PS5100?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What was this thread about?

Inboard clutch vs outboard clutch?

No wait. 346 or 5100. Haven't we done that before?

Who won? Well don't matter to me. I run both brands.

Outboard clutch? I came up with the 112 and 120 with a outboard clutch.

Blunt chisel and hammer and it's off in less than a minute.

5100? yeah I like the saw.

346? yeah I would like to have one.:cheers:

Dangit, I've decided Santa is bringing me a new chainsaw. I just need to tell him which model. I am torn between the Husky 346XP and Dolmar PS5100. Both are available within 30 miles of me by dealers who can service them. I currently have no experience with either dealer. This is going to be mostly a homeowner firewood saw - it will be my primary saw with an old WildThing as backup. I just want to get a good one so have it down to one or the other.

I know from here that each are fine saws. What are the major differences between them that I should be aware of?

Here's the real answer to your question. Buy one of them, keep the chain sharp, and go cut wood.:chainsaw:

Scott

Gotta love a "major dealer" for a little known and poorly represented third wheel chainsaw manufacturer slagging Husqvarna, one of the titans of the industry, pretty pathetic if you ask me. Makes me wanna never buy a Dolmar product, regardless of their poor quality and poorer support. :monkey: There is a reason the age old question is "Stihl or Husky?", Dolmar clearly doesn't belong in the conversation.

Scott

I don't consider Dolmar a lessor chain saw. I have run them since 1986 and have found them to be a solid reliable saw that will run for years and years.

I like the 372XP and the 365, but I consider them as an equal to my Dolmar saws, not up above them, and neither of them could take on the 7900 and come out on top.

Clamshell? Not in Dolmar's lineup. :cheers:

No, It's because you'd have to be drunk to be happy running a 5100S. Checkmate!

Scott

IMMATURE ??
didnt somebody post earlier about knocking a brand and bickering being immature ??

wonder who THAT could have been.. ??

No, It's because you'd have to be drunk to be happy running a 5100S. Checkmate!

Scott

Hey Speedy was you drinking yesterday when you made that bogus claim about only 10 seconds longer, just asking, if not, video please,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Hey Speedy was you drinking yesterday when you made that bogus claim about only 10 seconds longer, just asking, if not, video please,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

How bout you make a video, being the top notch Stihl wrench that you are, changing out the rim/sprocket on a Stihl outboard clutch saw. I am sure it will take you an eternity, as you and others like to claim it does on the Huskys. I'll be waiting. Done yet? :monkey:

Scott

Last edited:
Any one ever hear of this?

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Latest posts

Back