Help me decide Stihl MS 362 or Makita 6421 or 7301

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's in Canada the prices are way higher there. That price he gave was pretty reasonable for what folks say.
I get what you're saying, but the 562XP is still way more expensive at his local dealer than the MS 362, and that much more just doesn't seem worth it to me. If you're talking about list prices here in the US, then you can argue that the extra $40, or so, would be worth it. There still is the reliability issue though, hearing mixed reviews.

I believe the 562XP has list price of approximately US$740. It may own the 60cc class currently, but it's not worth spending an extra $160 over list price, that's ridiculous and that dealer should tarred and feathered for trying to do that...

Agree. No way I'd buy a 562xp for that difference in price from the MS362. Also, what would that dealer charge to service the saw? To the OP: getting a Makita saw from Home Depot serviced will be a major PITA. If the 562's out of the picture, the MS362 is an easy call. I've run them and they're dependable and make decent power for a 60cc saw; 18" bar balances better than the factory-recommended 20".

Last edited:
Get the Makita (I mean Dolmar....errrr....DolMakita?)

Just kidding.

Makita owns the majority of Dolmar stock, but they are excellent German-made saws.

Not bashing Stihl, great saws, I just don't like having to wrench on them.

O.P. seems like you want a new saw but there are plenty of low use saws on CL. I've heard great things about Husky's 359 for firewood duty.

If you can fix the dolmar/ makita yourself I would get the 7301. I have one and it is very nice. If you need a dealer to do repairs get the stihl.

..... or get both and sell the one you like least!!!!

My home depot makita had a broken spring that would cause the chain to keep moving. Took it to the stihl dealer and he fixed it no problem. Don't know why other dealers wouldn't be able to fix one if needed.

I believe the 562XP has list price of approximately US$740. It may own the 60cc class currently, but it's not worth spending an extra $160 over list price, that's ridiculous and that dealer should tarred and feathered for trying to do that. I that you are all about Husqy's their Troll, but they're just not that good to be paying that much over and above list price. No wonder Stihl outsells them.;)

It is about Canadian prices, and Huskys are expensive there, compared to in the US. The difference is not as large with Stihls and Dolmars, as far as I know.

Btw, among those brands, Stihl is the "cheap" one over here as well - regarding pro saws.

I can still buy a new 346 here.

For $700.

Stihl is about the same. An MS260 was 7 bills also. Don't know what they want for a 261.

That's why my saws are old.

I can still buy a new 346 here.

For $700.

Stihl is about the same. An MS260 was 7 bills also. Don't know what they want for a 261.

That's why my saws are old.

Saws are still relatively cheap in Canada, compared to most markets outside North America.

My Stihl(he also has Husqvarna, Dolmar, Echo and a few others) fellow will take care of all my brands and that is my experience with many. I don't understand this brabbling about dealer this and dealer that. If you have a small engine mechanic close by who knows that saw's are actually really primitive tools, will help you out really quick and know where to order missing parts. Because if we are honest we don't need special parts very often.

And I would still get the 7301 with out a second thought.

If you buy a Dolmar with no dealer around and need warranty work, I don't think a Stihl dealer is going to help you much. Or vice versa.

Anyone who buys a brand new saw should get one from a dealer. A real dealer, not a box store.

If I buy a Blue saw everyone will look at me funny because no-one up here runs them and never seen ANY Dolmar saws up here either(Northern Sask/Manitoba)....I think I will get the Stihl 362....after further research it will be MORE than enough saw for my needs...maybe too much saw....most guys up here run Husky 460 ranchers for firewood duty and I don't hear alot of complaints.

Plus it is from the same dealer where I just bought a Snow machine so I am getting him to throw in a spare free chain...and some oil at cost.

P.S

Local Husky Dealer here wants $599 for a 460 Rancher
= :dizzy:

If I buy a Blue saw everyone will look at me funny because no-one up here runs them and never seen ANY Dolmar saws up here either(Northern Sask/Manitoba)....I think I will get the Stihl 362....after further research it will be MORE than enough saw for my needs...maybe too much saw....most guys up here run Husky 460 ranchers for firewood duty and I don't hear alot of complaints.

Plus it is from the same dealer where I just bought a Snow machine so I am getting him to throw in a spare free chain...and some oil at cost.

P.S

Local Husky Dealer here wants $599 for a 460 Rancher
= :dizzy:

There is nothing special about spare/free chain(~25€ around here!) on a 700$ saw!

That's too bad your not taking the risk because you would be king of the hill up there with a 7301! They are absoluty on par to Stihl and Husqvarna. But I completly understand if you only need it for firewood all saws mentioned are a bit on the high side.
How much is a Echo 600p or the simaler brother 590 up there? It gets great reviews here and can be gotten really cheap in the US as far as I have seen. Might be an alternativ?

Good luck!

You can buy a 562 of the Internet for $680 with a twenty inch bar and chain no shipping no tax

You'll be happy with the 362, excellent mid size saw. It is nice to have a good dealer close by in case you do need a part or warranty work. Dont forget to buy the synthetic oil when ya buy the saw, gives ya a 2 year warranty.

Back