Help me decide Stihl MS 362 or Makita 6421 or 7301

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok sorry missed the Canada thing but the 562 is the way to go my opinion my uncle just bought one and he sais it tears a--

You'll be happy with the 362, excellent mid size saw. It is nice to have a good dealer close by in case you do need a part or warranty work. Dont forget to buy the synthetic oil when ya buy the saw, gives ya a 2 year warranty.

:agree2: Good price, top-quality professional-grade saw, nearby dealer service and 2-year warranty. Smart decision.

I'm die hard stihl but the makita is a nice saw..... If I didn't rock stihl, I'd have a dolmar/makita. Either way good luck!

My next saw will be either Dolmar or Makita same flavor just different color.:msp_thumbup:

You'll be happy with the 362, excellent mid size saw. It is nice to have a good dealer close by in case you do need a part or warranty work. Dont forget to buy the synthetic oil when ya buy the saw, gives ya a 2 year warranty.

He will likely be happy, as long as he doesn't try to run a 562xp - or a MS361. :msp_wink:

There is nothing special about spare/free chain(~25€ around here!) on a 700$ saw!

That's too bad your not taking the risk because you would be king of the hill up there with a 7301! They are absoluty on par to Stihl and Husqvarna. But I completly understand if you only need it for firewood all saws mentioned are a bit on the high side.
How much is a Echo 600p or the simaler brother 590 up there? It gets great reviews here and can be gotten really cheap in the US as far as I have seen. Might be an alternativ?

Good luck!

No Echo dealer close by but homedepot has the Echo 68cc for $725 and 59cc for $639.

No Echo dealer close by but homedepot has the Echo 68cc for $725 and 59cc for $639.

Which model numbers? That is the interesting thing.

Look at the Echo specs here, and you will soon enough scrap that idea!

This is the typical number comparison from Sawtroll. I highly respect him because he knows his numbers. But if we concentrate on the numbers the new Autotune/MTronic models would be nothing special compared to the others because Husqvarna 562XP=59cc=4.7hp === Stihl 362=59cc=4.6hp. Those are the numbers and because of these there is no difference between the two. :hmm3grin2orange:

If the Echo 59cc model is the 600p or the 590 Timber Wolf definately read the threads here of people with real world experience on this saw.

It would be very high on my list for a firewood fellow.

As far as I have read many disagree. f.e.

I will not deny that these newer Echos are top notch saw IMHO.

Very nice casting in the jug, quad port design, and a hemispherical combustion chamber. That adds up to a saw that loves to be modded. :)

Nice vid, Brad, good work on that saw.

I know the usual Echo haters can't stand the 600, or any other Echo for that matter. Their trouble is totally brand hate because Echo chainsaws are well built, long lasting, high performing saws.

Mr. HE:cool:

But what do I know.

This is the typical number comparison from Sawtroll. I highly respect him because he knows his numbers. But if we concentrate on the numbers the new Autotune/MTronic models would be nothing special compared to the others because Husqvarna 562XP=59cc=4.7hp === Stihl 362=59cc=4.6hp. Those are the numbers and because of these there is no difference between the two. :hmm3grin2orange:

If the Echo 59cc model is the 600p or the 590 Timber Wolf definately read the threads here of people with real world experience on this saw.

Cs-600p -20 20"bar $639

ECHO | 59.8 CC Rear Handle Chainsaw | Home Depot Canada

Cs-680-20 20" bar $729

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/668-cc-rear-handle-chainsaw/934895cs

Your choice but I would stay in the 50-60cc league. Above sounds from your description a bit to much. I believe that as a firewood cutter you would not profit from the top players. Kind of like using a formula one racing car to go to the supermarket. Nothing against having very good quality but not advocating being excessive.

Your choice your money your prestigue, just showing other sides of the coin.

Your choice but I would stay in the 50-60cc league. Above sounds from your description a bit to much. I believe that as a firewood cutter you would not profit from the top players. Kind of like using a formula one racing car to go to the supermarket. Nothing against having very good quality but not advocating being excessive.

Your choice your money your prestigue, just showing other sides of the coin.

The best deal and bang for the buck would likely be the Makita 6421. It would save me about $75 over the 362.

How would the Echo 600 stand up against the 362. Echo canada doesn't state the H.P rating?

I just checked and the same dealer that deals in Dolmar also has Echo so I could also get a price from him.

Last edited:

and the Stihl likely is a much torquier tune (I don't know for sure, but that would be typical for Husky vs Stihl), which helps most amateur operators immensely.....

just ran one of my other heavy, underpowered "undesireable" saws for a couple of hours (Dolmar PS420) cutting some blowdown off of fenceline. The little bugger ran like a champ, as usual. It's like operating a handsaw with a blade that moves by itself. Another torquey little saw (like an MS362). Nice to run when you're just putzing away. If your throttle trigger timing is a hair off then so what, these kinds of saws just pick up the revs and cut. Nice. My kind of power anyway.....

If you buy a Dolmar with no dealer around and need warranty work, I don't think a Stihl dealer is going to help you much. Or vice versa.

Anyone who buys a brand new saw should get one from a dealer. A real dealer, not a box store.

I wonder what that says about those of us that buy a new saw from half way around the world ? :laugh:

The 64/73/7900 series saws don't have problems anyway :D

Just for balance, someone from here in town bought I think a NIB 455 Husky from the US and it wouldn't oil.
They took it to my mate, the local small engine man and it was missing the drive out of the pump !
So 'stuff' can happen.

I wonder what that says about those of us that buy a new saw from half way around the world ? :laugh:

The 64/73/7900 series saws don't have problems anyway :D

Just for balance, someone from here in town bought I think a NIB 455 Husky from the US and it wouldn't oil.
They took it to my mate, the local small engine man and it was missing the drive out of the pump !
So 'stuff' can happen.

I was thinking more of the homeowner/woodcutter guys who cant do their own repairs, or needs the warranty.

If I was going to buy a new saw, which I ain't, it would be coming from the same place as yours. A 346 is/was $300 cheaper down south. Not as extreme as your prices but still crazy.

The best deal and bang for the buck would likely be the Makita 6421. It would save me about $75 over the 362.

How would the Echo 600 stand up against the 362. Echo canada doesn't state the H.P rating?

I just checked and the same dealer that deals in Dolmar also has Echo so I could also get a price from him.

Just look at the UK specs I linked up earlier today (post #49)....

Buy the saw where you can get the best service. Every brand needs service sometime. I sell Stihl. Is a 562 a good saw, yes, but not if there is poor dealer support. Same for the 362. Any saw is only as good as dealer support.

We built our business on service, not product.

Back