Help me get my father in law his dream saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you like that 40LE?
I got myself stuck with two of the 36LEs, and I can't decide what to do for a small saw. I've already got the 36s, but I wonder if I'd be better off with a PS-401 or a Redmax.

I like the 40LE its a great saw for it's size range, it hold up to plenty of abuse, its light and starts on 3 or 4 pulls every time. Efco seems to build a great product.

+1 on the 346XP

Best of both worlds. Has more than adequate power for 14 to 16 inch stuff but is still light enough to make dressing out the tree a pleasant chore. It's also very handy for all those quick little clean up jobs. With the money saved you could actually get him some extra chains and a longer bar for those odd occasions he needs it.

Strongly doubt he'll miss the extra power of a 60cc saw considering the jump up he's getting in the 346XP.

Take Care

One other thought. If the local JD dealer still has some CS62 in stock for less than $400, and if dear old dad likes Deere old green stuff...
Just think of it as a green Italian MS361 with an outboard clutch.
http://www.deere.com/specsapp/CustomerSpecificationServlet?sbu=CCE&pciModel=CS62&displayModelName=CS62%20Pro-Series%26%238482%3b%20Chain%20Saw&tM=HO&pNbr=UT10900[/QUO

This round of JD saws were made by Efco and are really nice saws. As far as how they compare to the 361 and the 359 you can compare right on the JD page.
Actually, he has a Mahindra.:)

The concensus seems to be that the 372 is too much. When I talked with him about saws this past spring, he said "I'd like to have one of those big pro saws". So, this is not so much of a need thing as a want thing. A guy still needs his toys, even at 62. I think it will end up being the 359 or ms361. The 359 is quite a bit cheaper. I still wish they had a 357xp for me to try out. I will let you all know what we end up getting tomorrow.

Sounds like he won'ts a big saw. If he doesn't make a living with it and just won'ts a toy make him happy with a 441. He can run it when he won'ts and he'll know when he's had enough. But boy would his eyes light up when he sees it. :clap:

I have several of those "big Pro saws" including Husqvarna 268xp, 272xp, 372xp, Stihl 066. When it comes to cutting firewood, I always reach for a smaller, LIGHTER saw. Its MUCH less tiring to carry and repeatedly lift the smaller saws.

A couple of weeks back I was out milling a 36" oak log. I took 2 saws. The 066 with 36" bar was on the mill, and the 346xp(50cc new edition). I did the trimming of knots and bark with the 346, AND when I needed to cut a 24" length from the center to setup the mill, I used the 346 as well. The bar was BURIED, and it just kept cuttin'.:chainsaw: I'm running 18" 3/8 .050, and am really impressed as to how well this saw cuts.

The MS361 isn't much heavier, and will have more power than the 346xp. The 372xp is heavier still, and will again have more power.

Don't go overboard on saw size, weight, and bar length. He might over do it, and that wouldn't be good. It not just the saw, its the size and weight of the wood to be moved as well.

I have several of those "big Pro saws" including Husqvarna 268xp, 272xp, 372xp, Stihl 066. When it comes to cutting firewood, I always reach for a smaller, LIGHTER saw. Its MUCH less tiring to carry and repeatedly lift the smaller saws.

A couple of weeks back I was out milling a 36" oak log. I took 2 saws. The 066 with 36" bar was on the mill, and the 346xp(50cc new edition). I did the trimming of knots and bark with the 346, AND when I needed to cut a 24" length from the center to setup the mill, I used the 346 as well. The bar was BURIED, and it just kept cuttin'.:chainsaw: I'm running 18" 3/8 .050, and am really impressed as to how well this saw cuts.

The MS361 isn't much heavier, and will have more power than the 346xp. The 372xp is heavier still, and will again have more power.

Don't go overboard on saw size, weight, and bar length. He might over do it, and that wouldn't be good. It not just the saw, its the size and weight of the wood to be moved as well.

+1, Couldn't have said it better.

Sounds like he won'ts a big saw. If he doesn't make a living with it and just won'ts a toy make him happy with a 441. He can run it when he won'ts and he'll know when he's had enough. But boy would his eyes light up when he sees it. :clap:

You hit the nail on the head. This is really the mentality he has. He will cut a little bit, take a break, maybe drink a beer and have a chew. A 372 maybe be heavy, but he only cuts maybe 8 cords a year and spaces that out over a few months. I just know he would be slobbering all over that 372 when he unwraps it, may be a different story though when he starts to lug it around.

The 359 is plenty capable of bucking 18" wood. If you choose the 359 just make sure that you order a non cat muffler to go with it.

I don't use my 359 a whole lot anymore but I'm probably going to do a muffler mod on it just to see how much it does wake it up.

What is the weight of the dry powerhead of the 372? Husky's site says 13.4lbs. It says my 455 weighs 13lbs. He seemed to handle my 455 easily enough. If there is only a .5 lb difference in the 455 and 372, I think he will be OK.

What is the weight of the dry powerhead of the 372? Husky's site says 13.4lbs. It says my 455 weighs 13lbs. He seemed to handle my 455 easily enough. If there is only a .5 lb difference in the 455 and 372, I think he will be OK.

I weight my 372xp with oil, gas and a 24" bar it weighed in at 20.5 pounds.
Of course a 20" bar would be lighter.
Weigh you 455 and a bathroom scale to compare.
Sounds like he would be okay with a 372xp.

Last edited:
My 455 w/gas,oil and 18"bar and chain weighs 16.9 lbs.

I will just have to handle the 372 and use my better judgement. I'm going to stick with a 20" bar though. The dealer wants full MSRP which is $810 and as many extra chains that I want for $10 a piece. How does this sound? He does have an excellent service dept.

My 2 cents

First let me say that at 58 and only 4 years younger I'd go for the 372 in a heart beat, if those were the only choices. I am fortunate and enjoy good health, knock on wood, but have many friends older, and younger who have had heart trouble. First lets all agree there is heart trouble, and there is HEART trouble, lots of variation. Most who have heart trouble are better off because they know what they can and can't do. Many are not going to be affected by 2 pounds, and besides in most cases exercise and moderate weight lifting are recommended.

Since no one has mentioned it let me be the first to say 6401 Makita, or 6400 Dolmar. I absolutely love my 6401, and can recommend it without reservation. Yes dealer support is worth mentioning, or should I say lack of same. Whatever you decide, I'm sure he will love it. You get rep from me for the effort, and please let us know what you get, and his reaction to the gift. JR

First let me say that at 58 and only 4 years younger I'd go for the 372 in a heart beat, if those were the only choices. I am fortunate and enjoy good health, knock on wood, but have many friends older, and younger who have had heart trouble. First lets all agree there is heart trouble, and there is HEART trouble, lots of variation. Most who have heart trouble are better off because they know what they can and can't do. Many are not going to be affected by 2 pounds, and besides in most cases exercise and moderate weight lifting are recommended.

Since no one has mentioned it let me be the first to say 6401 Makita, or 6400 Dolmar. I absolutely love my 6401, and can recommend it without reservation. Yes dealer support is worth mentioning, or should I say lack of same. Whatever you decide, I'm sure he will love it. You get rep from me for the effort, and please let us know what you get, and his reaction to the gift. JR

The 6401 weighs more than the 372.

Is the father in law going to be able to handle the 372 in two years? What about five? eight years? Are you looking at the big picture?

My 455 w/gas,oil and 18"bar and chain weighs 16.9 lbs.

I will just have to handle the 372 and use my better judgement. I'm going to stick with a 20" bar though. The dealer wants full MSRP which is $810 and as many extra chains that I want for $10 a piece. How does this sound? He does have an excellent service dept.

I think that $810.00 is too much money for a 372 with a 20" bar. You should be able to get it for $700.00 or maybe a little more unless prices have gone up quite a bit recently. I do remember that they were going to have a price increase. You can buy 20" chains from amicks or bailey's for not a whole lot more than the $10.00 but you'd have to pay for shipping.

I weighed my 372 with a 20" bar and chain last week for an AS member. Without gas and about half full of oil it weighed 18.5 lbs. on digital scales.

My vote is the 361. It has the best power to weight ratio of all the Stihls under 4HP. Besides, I likely will cure his heart condition :)

That said, I like the 270 nearly as much for general firewood sawin, and I have run it through plenty of 14-16" rounds. It has less vib in my opinion, which may be important overall in how much sawin work wears on him.

Can't go wrong with either of the above. Good luck and merry xmas!

All what Jacob J. says, plus it has healing properties.

I've even heard that the 361 will split & stack the wood too :cheers:

Anyways it's a great saw. I suppose the 357XP is too, but no 1st hand advice here. The 372 is another great saw, if he needs a 70cc. I suspect though if he's been getting after it with the little Pooland, the 361 will be like a light saber & likely all he'd ever need.

Mine sure splits it, when the axe fail to do......:greenchainsaw:

You got it right! :cheers:

The 372xp weights a bit more than the specs tell you, but not really bad - .4lbs or so.

However, the MS361 is a lot more nimble in the woods, but not comparable in power either......

Back