Help me pick a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I don't want to cheap out (that's how I ended up the with Poulan Lowe's special in the first place) but I also want to be realistic about my usage. I sit at a desk all day, so I'm not using a saw for a living. However, in the spring, fall and a few times in the summer, it's typical for me to spend an entire weekend (2 10-hour days) outside cutting and cleaning up. I probably do that 10-12 weekends a year.

I'm 37, so I want a saw that I plan to keep for 20 years. My biggest concern is getting something that will be easy to maintain, and find parts for. It sucks to get all ready to cut wood, only to have trouble starting the saw. Then, I have to head into town to buy a handful of parts (air filter, new plug, and anything else I can think of, just in case I need it) to get through the day. I swear it seems like I can clog an air filter in 2 hours some times.

I'll do the regular maintenance, but when it's time to work, I need to know the thing's going to run. I'd trade the $130 if it saves me 3 hours of "Is the filter dirty? Maybe I should change the plug... Could be bad gas. Time to retune the carb??" every single *$^#)$&# weekend.

Sorry. I had to get that off my chest. I'm OK now.

:)

If you want to buy a new one, the 261 would probably suit you best. But as others have chimed in here, I'd suggest looking for a lightly used 260 and save a few bucks.

Plus its a bit lighter.

Well, I don't want to cheap out (that's how I ended up the with Poulan Lowe's special in the first place) but I also want to be realistic about my usage. I sit at a desk all day, so I'm not using a saw for a living. However, in the spring, fall and a few times in the summer, it's typical for me to spend an entire weekend (2 10-hour days) outside cutting and cleaning up. I probably do that 10-12 weekends a year.

I'm 37, so I want a saw that I plan to keep for 20 years. My biggest concern is getting something that will be easy to maintain, and find parts for. It sucks to get all ready to cut wood, only to have trouble starting the saw. Then, I have to head into town to buy a handful of parts (air filter, new plug, and anything else I can think of, just in case I need it) to get through the day. I swear it seems like I can clog an air filter in 2 hours some times.

I'll do the regular maintenance, but when it's time to work, I need to know the thing's going to run. I'd trade the $130 if it saves me 3 hours of "Is the filter dirty? Maybe I should change the plug... Could be bad gas. Time to retune the carb??" every single *$^#)$&# weekend.

Sorry. I had to get that off my chest. I'm OK now.

:)
All good points here. Sounded like in your original post the 261 would be within your budget. Would the 271 serve you well? I'm sure it would...but if your gonna buy new I think you would never regret spending more for the ms261. Reading up a little on the 271 your looking at a little less power and a little more weight in a non-pro design. Not sure what the air filter looks like on a 271 but the 261's is really nice. A canister type filter that twists and locks in place on top of the carb. Filter maintenance is minimal. I guess it shows I am a 261 fan.:D

I would take a look at the mid range offerings the 271 and 250 specifically. I just picked up a new ms250 I have a 180 and. A 290. My 10 year old 2375 poulan got too much of a PITA.

For the price of one ms441 cm (one of my favorite pro saws) I have three saws to choose from. I have 2 heavily wooded acres and help maintain 2 more acres of forest. We cut ounce or twice a month at most. Both the 180 and 250 would cut your big pile. The little 180 is no slouch on anything smaller than 6-7". Pro saws are cool but having three new stihls for the price of one pro saw is cool too.

All good points here. Sounded like in your original post the 261 would be within your budget. Would the 271 serve you well? I'm sure it would...but if your gonna buy new I think you would never regret spending more for the ms261. Reading up a little on the 271 your looking at a little less power and a little more weight in a non-pro design. Not sure what the air filter looks like on a 271 but the 261's is really nice. A canister type filter that twists and locks in place on top of the carb. Filter maintenance is minimal. I guess it shows I am a 261 fan.:D

Well, I don't really have a set budget. Not because I'm made of money. Because I spent 5 years fighting with that )(*@#@# Poulan and am now willing to spend a little money to save a lot of time, and the potential for future expenses for anger management classes :) So, I'll spend the cash if I'm convinced I'm getting something tangible for it.

I looked at a 271 this morning. I didn't pull the filter cover (it takes 4 screws) but the tech said it's not a canister. I definitely see the advantage of the canister, and that is a major pro of the 261. He said that the reason it's more expensive is due to CA emissions regulations, and that doesn't really get me anything (I'm in WV.)

Another member mentioned that the 261 has a vertical split head, vs. a clamshell in the other saws. It sounds like this mostly makes it easier to pull the piston and crank when the time comes. Is that something that's really worth the extra cash? I mean, it seems like the kind of repair or maintenance that might be done every 5-10 years.

I really appreciate everyone's input. And I'm not trying to argue with the recommendations. I just want to know what makes the 261 such a good saw in everyone's mind. The first 10 responses were "261", so there must be something to it. But in my mind, every Stihl I've come across was a good saw in its own right.

Thanks guys,

Chris

Well, I don't really have a set budget. Not because I'm made of money. Because I spent 5 years fighting with that )(*@#@# Poulan and am now willing to spend a little money to save a lot of time, and the potential for future expenses for anger management classes :) So, I'll spend the cash if I'm convinced I'm getting something tangible for it.

I looked at a 271 this morning. I didn't pull the filter cover (it takes 4 screws) but the tech said it's not a canister. I definitely see the advantage of the canister, and that is a major pro of the 261. He said that the reason it's more expensive is due to CA emissions regulations, and that doesn't really get me anything (I'm in WV.)

Another member mentioned that the 261 has a vertical split head, vs. a clamshell in the other saws. It sounds like this mostly makes it easier to pull the piston and crank when the time comes. Is that something that's really worth the extra cash? I mean, it seems like the kind of repair or maintenance that might be done every 5-10 years.

I really appreciate everyone's input. And I'm not trying to argue with the recommendations. I just want to know what makes the 261 such a good saw in everyone's mind. The first 10 responses were "261", so there must be something to it. But in my mind, every Stihl I've come across was a good saw in its own right.

Thanks guys,

Chris

What a moron.....find another Stihl dealer! The reason they cost more is most everything on the saw is built for daily use. that is not the case with the 270's. What's that mean for a homeowner? It means that it will be the last saw you will ever need. Just use good stihl ultra oil and fresh gas it it and drain the gas when You are going to store it for more than a few weeks.

Pull your Poulan out one last time and look at the nameplate just to the left of the blue choke handle. There is an hour rating on it. This is the intention behind homeowner saws, basically to be disposable. You will not find an hour rating on pro saws.

What a moron.....find another Stihl dealer! The reason they cost more is most everything on the saw is built for daily use. that is not the case with the 270's. What's that mean for a homeowner? It means that it will be the last saw you will ever need. Just use good stihl ultra oil and fresh gas it it and drain the gas when You are going to store it for more than a few weeks.

If your dealer doesn't know the difference bt 271 and 261, I would take a drive to the next closest dealer. Talk with them and see if they can describe the difference and it's NOT in emissions. Use the search function. I'm similar to you - Not an arborist, but have limited time to take care of the trees/woodlot. I had a hand-me down very well used 029 from my FIL, got to the point where I was frustrated, some days ran good, some days not so good - I came to this site and now will only buy a pro saw - for longevity and reliability. Not sure about your reasons for only Stihl - if your 100% set on Stihl then your answer is in the majority of respondants (261). However, I highly encourage you to atleast find a dealer that knows Stihl's upper end saws. As you search for a new dealer - I would also encourage you to consider or talk with a Husqvarna/Jonsered dealer. I think you'll be happy with their professional level saws, and would think about the 550XP. Just my thoughts - Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Buy the best and only cry once.

I wouldn't spend the money to buy a new homeowner saw. The difference between a pro and homeowner saw when using them to cut wood is more than worth it. Both would work as a doorstop or garage decoration though.

In the last 3 months I've bought a ms361, 026 and a 024 AV for a total of $375. They all were runners and two had recently been serviced and came with new bar and chains. If you are not in a hurry look for a used pro grade saw of any brand. A 346xp would also be a great choice and can be had cheap (I bought one for $100). I guess some people just don't realize it can cure cancer :msp_confused:

Last edited:
The 271 can't hold a candle to the 261. The 261 feels better, filters better, is built stronger and pulls harder. Toss a 16" or 18" bar on it and be happy.

If you are considering a Husqvarna, the 550xp is a killer saw as well.

Homeowner saws are not even good door stops... I was using a ms170 as a doorstop, and it was too light, and the door kept closing.

You asked for Stihl with a loose budget and the 261 is the obvious choice and a great saw. If you asked for Husky or another brand different numbers like 346 or 550 will dominate. For the wood you describe and "carrying around" the 70cc saws sound over sized. I too did the homeowner/farmer level saws for many years until I went with my first pro saw. I used to dread fighting the machines and at the end of the day my sorest spot was my right shoulder from pulling hundreds of times on that starter rope. That being said there is a loyal and earned following for the non-pro saws. There are countless testimonials here in support from people who are tickled to death with their saws and their abilities and reliability at every level and price range. Your choice.

Back