Help me pick a new splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok just bringing back the dead, lol. Got my SS Wednesday night. I can tell you I am not a fan of ABF Freight! Seriously the SS was 11 miles from my house and it took 96hrs to get it delivered. I offered to pick it up and I was told they wouldn't give me a refund or difference for delivery. They missed delivery an entire day after I scheduled, then when I called and said hey atleast send it the next day first thing they said they don't schedule deliveries. Needless to say I got it at 18:30 pitch black the night before a 24 hour shift at which I have to get up at 0400. Got her assembled by 21:00.
The driver was awesome though and I gave him a tip. Seems dispatch and upper management doesn't care.
If I ever order anything Freight again I will pay extra to make sure they never get a dollar from me again, principle.
Sorry for the rant.

So I worked yesterday and then it was 10 degrees this am with a high of 26. As excited as I am and with as much wood as I have on the ground, I must be getting old. The SS stayed in the garage today, lol.

I did purchase a knock off tiny tach that I need to mount to keep track of hours for maintenance and rpm purposes.

I'm super stoked and I can asssure you I will give you my honest opinion of the machine. Doesn't look like there is going to be a chance for me to fire her up till sometime next week.

I wanted an SS myself with the possibility of selling wood down the road. Couldn't justify the cost to the warden. Ended up with a DHT 22 ton. It splits fast but I will still dream about an SS. Glad you got what you wanted.

We've got over a foot of snow covering everything and I can't bring myself to spend the time to open up the splitting area..... But I may give in...... I have so much on the ground right now....

You're gonna like the SS. Which model did you get?

I am lucky. I live in MA, so when I got my J model with Subaru about 6 years I drove to Paul's shop and got a tour. About an hour later I was home, and I'm not sure what was bigger, the pile of new splits or the smile on my face.

Just remember KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM THE END OF THE ROUND. These machines are so quick, you could lose a finger or worse in a couple seconds. Use common sense and you'll love your new machine.

I got the HD.
Just walked up from the garage, gave her a once over since I put it together with shop lights in the dark. I greased her up, shot some dry lube around, and mounted a generic Tiny Tach (shocking being a cheapskate failed again, it doesn't work so I'll be ordering an actual Tiny Tach today).
We had a bit of an ice storm last night but it's going to warm up and the Warden gave me the green light to go play this afternoon.

Couple questions, did you guys have a decent amount of rubber shavings or dust from the belts during break in? I have them at about 1/2" of play, wondering if I need more or if they just chafe (sp?) during break in.
I guess I will just run it at half throttle till I receive my TT, I'm guessing the little Honda is at about 3k from the other posts I've read.
I have a small gouge on the top of the beam. It runs the entire length, I read in another thread the top of the beam needs to be as perfectly flat as possible. Not sure if this will lead to an issue down the road or if I'm just being paranoid about my new machine. I checked all the bearings and they are free spinning.

I did carry one piece of wood down from the pile and split it, big smile already!!!

Thanks guys, Rye.

Lots of belt dust here, too. I have one belt that's got quite a whoopde in it as well. Going to replace them when I remember to grab one to size.

sent from a field

Ok ran it for about 2 hours. Very happy, I need to work on keeping my face and body from hovering over the machine. When things happen wrong the splits tend to pop upward fast, I'm a slow learner and I'm sure I will post a pic soon of my face busted.
I ordered my machine taller, 32" working height. It's perfect but the one issue I never thought of is when your wrestling a large round and the table being higher I have taken my legs somewhat out of the equation. I can't squat a little and deadlift the round, the table is at a perfect waist height so it's all upper body. Not a big deal and I'm glad I purchased a higher table because 90% time I'm working with perfect posture. Just means the biggins are gonna take a little more out of the shoulders. Something to think about if your a prospective buyer.
A production table is so nice, lift the log once and your done. I did place a large round beside me so the big splits I could drop half on the round and work the split, then when the table was clear just grab it and work it. The amount of work is much less. No matter what splitter I will never work one without a table and a area for the large splits to rest.
I still have much to learn.

Sounds like you're quickly learning the ins and outs. When you have a piece that isn't square on one end stick the angled end into the wedge. That will eliminate a lot of the summersaulting pieces. For those big rounds you can pop them up like the strongmen do the atlas stones, you can noodle them with your saw, you could lift them with a machine, or you could order a manual log lift from split second. It is rated to lift 180 lbs

I don't have a problem lifting them to the beam, it's when they ride down and they don't split all the way thru so they are stuck on the wedge and need to be flipped and run again. If I could horse them up with my legs like a deadlift it would be fine, but the table is tall so I'm having to use all upper body. On the other hand the table is perfect and I don't have to bend at all to run the machine= happy back and posture and I can run it much longer. I'm just going to have to work on my technique or lack there of with the biggins.
I was also on the low side of the machine on a slight grade and I had the wedge end lifted a bit on a split as I found a little incline helped immensely with Ram return.
Learning is occurring SLOWLY, lol.

The biggins is why I built the table to sit next to the splitter. Its also a staging table for helpers to keep loaded.

I brought home a couple tote frames that I am going to use to split into for times like now when my splitting area isn't right next to my stacks.

Should have gotten an electric splitter.

MVC-017F_10.JPG

Seriously though, Hope it works out for you. Heard lots of good things about them and they are a good fit for some. Everything has a learning curve and you'll get it down in no time.

I don't have a problem lifting them to the beam, it's when they ride down and they don't split all the way thru so they are stuck on the wedge and need to be flipped and run again.

When they get stuck on the wedge, take a small log or split and split that to push the log off the wedge. Makes it a lot easier than fighting with it and all you have to do is roll it on the table and split again.

Funny because I use that trick all the time with my hydro and 4 way but for some reason it hadn't crossed my mind with the SS.
Thanks.
I also notice I get a big case of the T-Rex arms when running the machine, has to be funny to watch.
I read Hondas info and it seems the GX200 maxes at 3600 rpm, I think it's going to be even more impressive when I get my tachometer and can dial it in to 3k. I'm betting half throttle is a bit under and it still handled everything.

Funny because I use that trick all the time with my hydro and 4 way but for some reason it hadn't crossed my mind with the SS.
Thanks.
I also notice I get a big case of the T-Rex arms when running the machine, has to be funny to watch.
I read Hondas info and it seems the GX200 maxes at 3600 rpm, I think it's going to be even more impressive when I get my tachometer and can dial it in to 3k. I'm betting half throttle is a bit under and it still handled everything.

It will max out just over 3600. 3000 rpm is just a hair over half throttle. It idles around 15-1600, iirc. I noticed on mine if I crank it up to full throttle, it starts vibrating. I dont think the flywheels are balanced for anything above the recommended 3000 rpm or 310 at the flywheel.

Yeah it says not to go over 3k in the SS manual. I should get some more lever time tomorrow, mwahhhhhh. I'm not worried about any more force I just like to run things at the proper rpm and not knowing is driving my OCD side crazy. Tachometer shipped today so it won't be long.

Latest posts

Back