Help me pick a new splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I split for about 2 hrs as I said before and I knew I had a decent pile. Well the other day I got to stacking and I realized even though I was learning and messing around a bit I split a decent amount of wood. It took me about 1.5 hrs to stack and I split it right between the racks so not transport or carry time. The machine makes very little to no scrub (you can see a few small pieces of scrub on the ground and that's it) and is very fuel efficient. Im hoping to get back at it tomorrow. I'm home with some sick kids and I'm not feeling 100% today.

I've got some catching up to do. Might not look like much in the picture but it continues a long way down the hill. It's load after load out of my dump trailer. I've also got a few people waiting for me to come clean up some trees on their property.

I have a job I've put off for a while of larger stuff, think I'm gonna sell my hydro and purchase a 066/660. So if anyone has one or is going to build one soon let me know.

Mine runs at 3,700+ wide open. It engages better a bit slower, 3,400.
I would suggest a pulp hook from Bailey's and a couple extra tips for it. I think that would help immensely working a pile of rounds by the splitter.
Edit: Arnold would get one for each hand of course.

IMG_0418.JPG Ok so I'm not a fan of the SS tow hitch.

As you can see it's on the ground where the splits fall. I pull it with my John Deere on the 3 point with a draw bar. I knew I wanted it up off the ground but I also wanted something easy to remove for storage.

Attachments

• IMG_0419.JPG
    IMG_0419.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Looks good. I copied the SS hitch and welded a length of tube onto the foot. Not a big fan of it, but it works.

I like what you did with the receiver. I move mine around with the tractor as well and not having to get off the tractor to hook it up would be ideal... I may copy it..

Your next goal should be to not let the splits hit the ground.

I either let the splits push off the end of the table into a small trailer or toss them into a tote to be hauled to the stacking area. But that's only when I cant split right where its being stacked. Then the kids pull them right off the table...

IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0447.JPG

So this is what happens when you get a SuperSplit! You realize how much wood you can split, then you load the hydro on the trailer and sell it to a buddy. Then you never tell him that you can load the same trailer in less than an hour and a half with the SuperSplit while it would have taken 3 hours with the machine you sold him, lol.

Oh and the buddy got a great deal. It's going to help me pay for my new CAD, you will notice in the pics my new to me 461/660 courtesy of Chipper1. I have a newly acquired chainsaw HP addiction, in fact my 362cm may be for sale soon. I don't need to sell it but I'm not using it with the new additions to the family.

View attachment 547054 Ok so I'm not a fan of the SS tow hitch.

As you can see it's on the ground where the splits fall. I pull it with my John Deere on the 3 point with a draw bar. I knew I wanted it up off the ground but I also wanted something easy to remove for storage.

@RyeThomas

I know its a little late to be asking... But no one local carries these parts so Im going to have to order them.... I want to copy what you did with the receiver set-up. Did you have to order the parts and if so, where did you get them?

I’m at work for a 24hr shift today buddy. I will look up the parts I got tomorrow or the next day when I’m home.
I want to say I got everything from e-trailer. com

I just got a bolt on 2” receiver hitch and used the trailer/towing kit from SS

If your looking for a better hitch for the SS check this out. This was on my wish list for several years before making the changes. Obviously not for on-road use, but it works for me using the quad to get the splitter out to the wood lot and back to the garage. And most important, the hitch is on the proper end. Sent photos to Paul hoping to see it as a bolt on option. The tongue unpins so it is not a trip hazard when working or storing.IMG_3772.jpgIMG_4057.jpgIMG_4077.jpgIMG_4593.jpg
Edit: The rectangular tubes, shown in the last photo, are not part of the hitch/axle project. The tubes are previous bolt on upgrades. They are forklift tubes. I left them on, but have not had a need to use them since adding the steer axle. Sometimes I store the wagon tongue in them.

Latest posts

Back