Help me Stihl gurus...031AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b1rdman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
YOU guys got me into this so you you get me out!;)

I like saws, heck I love saws (guess that's what brought me here a few years ago) but I have been able to avoid the bug that all you seem to have...Until last weekend that is.

I was at an auction last Saturday looking for a bush hog but I didn't want to pay what they were going for. I wasn't coming home empty handed or course so I picked up a 031AV for $50.

Here it is.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I get the saw home and I'm relieved to find out that it has spark and 155 psi. I did notice that the plug was bright and shiny when I pulled it to check compression. Hmmmm

In goes some fresh fuel (tank was clean and dry) and I start a pullin' (nothing). I put a splash in the cylinder and she fired for about two seconds...Not pulling fuel huh?

I figure that's ok... I'm no grease monkey but I can certainly do a carb kit or find this "impulse line" that I read about all the time.

So on the bench she goes and I commence deconstruction. I'm good at taking things apart, not so much when it comes to putting them back together (by the way, does anyone have an IPL for this rig). The first thing I notice is the filter. Man! That looks cleaner than the plug!

attachment.php

I don't spend much time pondering the shiny filter since I want to get the carb off and look for this "impulse line". I find it in short order but I'm more intrigued with the rubber hose from the carb to the cylinder. My new saws and the tiller I fix every freaking spring don't have that. Surely that's a prime suspect for an air leak and loss of suction. Off it comes...

I clean everything up and take a good hard look at the rubber pieces. Damn! They look brand new. Very pliable... no cracks...nothing.

attachment.php

This is where I realize that I'm probably in over my head. I look at my bench and there are parts all over the place. I can probably put it back together later but I figure I should focus on the carb that I set aside earlier.

The carb looks like it may have been "repaired" at some point. What do you guys think of this?

attachment.php

To summarize...

I contracted the disease.

I'm in over my head.

Where do I go from here?

Thats probably not how I would have repaired the carb, I would have probably used duct tape! :chainsawguy: :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

Btw, thats a nice looking mac you have down there.

Last edited:
Man that carb is ugly. I suspect that is your problem. You'll also want to get a new air filter. The newer style flocked or similar style will work much better.

-John

The carb end repair is likely o.k. if not cracked again. If it is, you're looking for an old HU5 carb - zillions around.

Air filter - that type is actually o.k.... the mesh is real easy to clean and it soon picks up a layer" of saw dust to act as another filter..

Replace your impulse line - the old type has a shorter end that leaks. It only costs $2.00... If you're real cheap, wind a few turns of fine wire around the old hose where it connects to the carb.

Fuel line, fuel filter, carb inlet screen, carb kit...

Hot Potato.

Oi,

If it were me, I would put it all back together and dump the old gurl on Ebay. There are better ways to invest your time. That saw will be very difficult to keep running. And Parts are not easy to be had. Put her up on eBay and pray for a profit.
Try to find a saw with electronic ignition and one that parts are still avail. Your very lucky that you had spark. If you must get her running, I would still sell it no matter what.

I must disagree.... There are 10 's of thousand of these saws still running and part are not a real issue.. and... I believe that is an eletronic model..

BTW.. we fix several of these a week... and the owners love them.

I must disagree.... There are 10 's of thousand of these saws still running and part are not a real issue.. and... I believe that is an eletronic model..

It is an electronic model and and it's really something that I want to learn to do so it's a great investment of time in my opinion.

One more piece of info. I disconnected the the fuel line from the tank but it's still attached to the carb. It's old, hard as a rock, and appears to be pinched in one spot. I CANNOT blow air throw the hose (but I can get a good taste of gas).

Bad huh?

The carb end repair is likely o.k. if not cracked again. If it is, you're looking for an old HU5 carb - zillions around.

Air filter - that type is actually o.k.... the mesh is real easy to clean and it soon picks up a layer" of saw dust to act as another filter..

Replace your impulse line - the old type has a shorter end that leaks. It only costs $2.00... If you're real cheap, wind a few turns of fine wire around the old hose where it connects to the carb.

Fuel line, fuel filter, carb inlet screen, carb kit...

Lake, I am kinda surprised you say that about the carb repair...would you fix one of your saws or a customers saw with some jb weld?

Well, I am sure there are worse saws to own. But there sure are a whole lot more that are better. Around here there is a major deal getting coils.

And sorry to say that is not an electronic ignition. I am sure you will remember the differance in the "AV" models and the "AEV."

And having to fix several of these types of saws a week does not lend merit to a saws reliabilty.

Just MHO.

Scott.

Last edited:
Well, I am sure there are worse saws to own. But there sure are a whole lot more that are better. Around here there is a major deal getting coils.

And sorry to say that is not an electronic ignition. I am sure you will remember the differance in the "AV" models and the "AEV."

And having to fix several of these types of saws a week does not lend merit to a saws reliabilty.

Just MHO.

Scott.

I'm still unsure what makes this saw unreliable... They get fixed and we don't see them for a year or two..if ever... They cut almost as good as an 034.

I guessed it's electronic (AVE) -can't quite read the label, but thought I could read "electronic". The rewind Stihl label is often a giveway..

Coil? almost ever bad on the 031.. and lots of them available used. Ignition module- sure, but dead easy to replace. And I like the points model - very reliable unless your condensor is bad, and that's easy to replace...

We get $200+ for clean 031's all day long..

Last edited:
nope, 'cos I have a box if old carbs for parts... but if it's working, it's working..

Fair enough. But I guess my point more or less is would you want your name attached to a repair like that? Yes, you are probably right that the fix will probably be ok, but I probably wouldnt want my name attached to it...it just looks cheap.

I'm with lakeside,this saw has a little glitch all major parts are in order.Once its up and running its a strong saw!

repair

No, he and I would not repair the carburetor that way. But you are missing the point. If it is air tight to the outside and will pass crankcase pressure, it will work. To tell him that it must be replaced on looks alone, would be inaccurate.

When a repair like that comes in the shop, I test for function. If OK, I make the customer aware it is there, tell him if it will work, and let him make the decision if
he wants to replace the part.

You can do a restoration, or just make the saw function for the customer.
Nothing wrong with either way. Just tell them.

No, he and I would not repair the carburetor that way. But you are missing the point. If it is air tight to the outside and will pass crankcase pressure, it will work. To tell him that it must be replaced on looks alone, would be inaccurate.

When a repair like that comes in the shop, I test for function. If OK, I make the customer aware it is there, tell him if it will work, and let him make the decision if
he wants to replace the part.

You can do a restoration, or just make the saw function for the customer.
Nothing wrong with either way. Just tell them.

No, I got the point that if its a functional repair, then its a functional repair. I am in no means questioning Andys knowledge and I have the utmost respect for him. He is the one of the most informative people here. I just think that if it would come in like to a stihl tech that it should just be replaced regardless. But like you said, if the customer is aware of the potential problem, then its on the customer, because i believe that he will have a problem with it sooner rather than later.

Again, not trying to pick a fight, but if a carb came in that could be repair with some jb weld, would you offer that option to the customer or just put on a new one?

Also, I would seriously doubt that Andy would let that leave his shop unrepaired even if he was working on an unrelated repair. There are certain saftey issues that are involved with that type of repair.
God help the tech who has to explain not repairing this when they are hauled into court because their customer was injured. Even if this was unrelated, your competency would be a question for debate.

And since we all know that parts for these are so easy to obtain, I can't imagine why anyone would make a "JB" repair on a fuel related part. In fact if I had a whole bucket of these carb parts I would send the guy one just out of good will.

A "stihl Tech" is always held to a higher standard, even in court. A home owner is almost always allowed to do the most ignorant things and get a pass. I would hope that Andy would encourage that evey saw with a defeated saftey device or saftey related issues never leave his shop unrepaired, even if the customer "knows" all about it.

Chances are the guy who "knew" all about it will not be facing you in court, it will be his widow.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys.

I don't know if I'll find parts today since it's labor day but I can still get the brushes out and do some scrubbing.

I'll check back in when I have something to report.

:cheers:

Blow out

Lets not get out of context. We are looking at the pump nipple on a carburetor.
Not a structural piece.
We are also talking about a homeowner trying to keep an old saw going.

Sounds like we have a Stihl lawyer in the group:chainsawguy:

Lets not get out of context. We are looking at the pump nipple on a carburetor.
Not a structural piece.
We are also talking about a homeowner trying to keep an old saw going.

Sounds like we have a Stihl lawyer in the group:chainsawguy:

I would also question the safety of that device in your avatar. What kind of stihl tech would promote such an obscenely unsafe device by having a picture of it on every one of his posts? ;)

Back